Snakewood Cracking

4railer

Registered
Snakewood naturally can take on small splits or cracks . Does anyone have experience with this happening?

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Snakewood naturally can take on small splits or cracks . Does anyone have experience with this happening?
Ask this in the Cue Builders forum, you'll get good responses there. Brian.

Reactions: bbb

misterpoole

Dragon slayer
Silver Member
I have a cue with a snake wood buttsleeve. Strips of snake wood were laminated together to create the butt sleeve. I would take a picture but it is hard to see the strips. Very nice result and no cracking.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand it's also a very oily wood and difficult to keep a finish on.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are steps to remove the surface oils from oily woods. Doing them several times allows removal of the oils deeper into the wood. Following up with proper sealers prior to applying finish coats, oily woods can be finished like any other woods.

Scientists can overcome many issues like these, just consider WD40 as one.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Troy Downey - 25 years ago Gabe Owen cue series- these cues were snakewood based- here is mine that I recently returned to a former owner- it stayed pristine for 25 years- all depends on construction, and resulting care over the years. Take Mike Webb's advice- cues are too expensive now to take a chance.
downey1.JPG

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say that depends who's finishing it. I did two almost 20 years ago for a local guy. I see them all the time and they still look good.
Misinformation is as much a problem as not researching is.
I was refinishing yachts in Ft. Lauderdale in the early seventies. Was taught there how to remove the surface oil from teak for a varnish finish.

My other half is a retired principal scientist, formulations was her passion. I brought up to her once how none of the ‘one coat’ paints actually covered the previous color adequately.. I was a painting contractor.

She laughed and told me she could easily formulate a one coat coverage paint.

Then she said, “ the big problem then becomes getting it out of the can!!”

LOL

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Misinformation is as much a problem as not researching is.
I was refinishing yachts in Ft. Lauderdale in the early seventies. Was taught there how to remove the surface oil from teak for a varnish finish.
LOL
No one wants to R&D anymore!

You read the ATCM section, WE ALL DO.
Very seldom do you read,
I tried this, it's not working!
Instead you read,
Tell me what I should do.
How many steps?
The cheapest way possible.
I don't want to risk anything.
That is the Reality of ATCM,
And it has become acceptable by Forum standards!
Not Bitchin. Just sayin!

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snakewood is one of those woods that you HOPEFULLY,
Have had it in your shop for years.
That's what it takes to have the confidence to use it and there's still no guarantees!

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one wants to R&D anymore!

You read the ATCM section, WE ALL DO.
Very seldom do you read,
I tried this, it's not working!
Instead you read,
Tell me what I should do.
How many steps?
The cheapest way possible.
I don't want to risk anything.
That is the Reality of ATCM,
And it has become acceptable by Forum standards!
Not Bitchin. Just sayin!
The rules in the ATCM are THE reason I posted my response here.

My wife and I were always invited to a big Xmas party every December at the Kohler Resort in Wisconsin. It was sponsored by a large chemical supply company. They supply many industries including paint manufactures.

All the top scientists were there and with an open bar it was a blast. You could learn a lot just by hanging out with them. A lot of their info is proprietary but a lot is also shared amongst those scientists as well. Scientists are an unusual fun group of people, they are motivated more by discovery than by monetary gain.

The parties were a great place to mix, meet share knowledge and get to know people.

One more note on finishes I learned is that there are many great chemicals that are not used due to cost. If the company feels the cost of a certain product outweighs the potential profit they will look for cheaper chemicals to derive a similar but profitable outcome.