Some food for thought....

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Let me ask this question..
You are here in the states, and you have some money to buy a custom cue. Alot of your questions on forums say "try" this cue or that cue. But some of these cues come from overseas.

Do you ever think of the following?

What am I going to do if I am unhappy with the cue?
Who will trade with me?
How do I get out of that cue?

See to me, I see this as the same as buying a cue from a lesser known cuemaker. But in the states you have some recourse to the above problems. I would assume the same in the Phillipines where if you had a Ling cue there is probably more and more of a market. Lets face it, these aren't Herceks or Motteys we are talking.

The reason I ask this question is I got to see one of those python skinned cues up close and quite frankly it was no better than a Players cue. Maybe even worse. Now I have also seen a qperfect and I would put it in the Schon category, at least with appearance. I didn't shoot with it, I didn't inspect it, just a quick visual.

Now, I am not trying to make enemies overseas, but I am just asking this question. I was e-mailed and offered a Vincettore, but I see two problems. I have no market and they share the name of a case that is a known counterfeiter other cases. So you have a little name recognition of the imfamous type. Seeing the other cue sites as I do, there are no dealers stocking these cues, so would you take the chance?

Joe

crawdaddio

Used and registered
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I personally would not. Get yaself a well made american cue if these things concern you.

Purdman

Banned
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
classiccues said:
Let me ask this question..
You are here in the states, and you have some money to buy a custom cue. Alot of your questions on forums say "try" this cue or that cue. But some of these cues come from overseas.

Do you ever think of the following?

What am I going to do if I am unhappy with the cue?
Who will trade with me?
How do I get out of that cue?

See to me, I see this as the same as buying a cue from a lesser known cuemaker. But in the states you have some recourse to the above problems. I would assume the same in the Phillipines where if you had a Ling cue there is probably more and more of a market. Lets face it, these aren't Herceks or Motteys we are talking.

The reason I ask this question is I got to see one of those python skinned cues up close and quite frankly it was no better than a Players cue. Maybe even worse. Now I have also seen a qperfect and I would put it in the Schon category, at least with appearance. I didn't shoot with it, I didn't inspect it, just a quick visual.

Now, I am not trying to make enemies overseas, but I am just asking this question. I was e-mailed and offered a Vincettore, but I see two problems. I have no market and they share the name of a case that is a known counterfeiter other cases. So you have a little name recognition of the imfamous type. Seeing the other cue sites as I do, there are no dealers stocking these cues, so would you take the chance?

Joe

Joe, I purchased one of those "Bing" cues a couple of years ago. The inlay work was rather sloppy. The cue was 60" long. It sat on the wall for three years. I had a kid looking for an inexpensive cue and he chose that one. It still rolled straight and fit the kid very well. He bought it on the spot. I broke even. You just never know. Now I only buy American made cues to sell. That is probably the only thing you can buy made in America. We cannot compete with the Chinese or other Asian countrys where the weekly pay is $5.00. I know a well respected American cuemaker who told me he was going to have them make his cues, with his spec's. He cannot compete with them so he is going to join them. Many other cuemakers are going this route. All I can say is that I am glad I have a good source of income.
Purdman :cool:

Joseph Cues

Cue Nut
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe, do you have the names right?
I think you mean Bing cues and Viattorre Cues.
Viattorre is not the same as Vincetorre. Viattorre does not need a resaler/dealer I think. His cues are in demand there and all over Asia now.
If the name is Vincettorre, I wouldn't touch it b/c that name is synonimous to a counterfiet leather case.
A good name is hard-earned in the cue world. Maybe after the maker has slowly earned his good name, you'd take a risk on his cues.
Here's another food for thought. What if a cuemaker here makes equipment and goes to Europe. Trains people there to make cues out of his equipment and his construction style. He comes back to the states and badmouths the cues coming out of that plant he helped setup. Waives the American flag. What do you call him?

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Joseph Cues said:
Joe, do you have the names right?
I think you mean Bing cues and Viattorre Cues.
Viattorre is not the same as Vincetorre. Viattorre does not need a resaler/dealer I think. His cues are in demand there and all over Asia now.
If the name is Vincettorre, I wouldn't touch it b/c that name is synonimous to a counterfiet leather case.
A good name is hard-earned in the cue world. Maybe after the maker has slowly earned his good name, you'd take a risk on his cues.
Here's another food for thought. What if a cuemaker here makes equipment and goes to Europe. Trains people there to make cues out of his equipment and his construction style. He comes back to the states and badmouths the cues coming out of that plant he helped setup. Waives the American flag. What do you call him?

My apologies to the cuemaker Viattorre for the mix up with the casemaker. I don't see enough of either to make any credible distinction. Like guys who think that Szamboti's are used to clean the ice at hockey games. :)

A good name is definately earned, I agree, but I already made a cuemaker a name and got screwed by said cuemaker, so I ain't in the market anymore to help people get their name out there just to get my "discount" adjusted, after he takes some orders and his head no longer fits through the door. So don't go banking on me to help any fledgling cuemakers unless we have a contract thats binding. :)

As far as your last statement I think you know who you mean and if you arm your enemies, you will spend your life fighting them off.

I might have ment Lind, but I know Lind, Bing, again, just me not taking the time to go back and correct my cuemaker names.

Joe

Joseph Cues

Cue Nut
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe, you are referring to David Lindsay then of Linds cues.
I own one of his cues. He posts his here once in a while.
Thank you for the words of wisdom. I have never heard that before.

Jon

Custom User Title
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joseph Cues said:
Joe, you are referring to David Lindsay then of Linds cues.
I own one of his cues. He posts his here once in a while.
Thank you for the words of wisdom. I have never heard that before.
You mean you have never head that before?
if you arm your enemies, you will spend your life fighting them off.

What rock did you crawl out from under? lol.

But i know what he means, sometimes it's just better to let things go and move on, not because they just won't quit, but because the people that annoy you the most, just happen to be the ones that live forever lol...

Thanks,

Jon

Joseph Cues

Cue Nut
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BiG_JoN said:
You mean you have never head that before?

What rock did you crawl out from under? lol.

But i know what he means, sometimes it's just better to let things go and move on, not because they just won't quit, but because the people that annoy you the most, just happen to be the ones that live forever lol...

Thanks,

Jon
HEY, I was posting a HYPOTHETICAL question.
Kinda like what if GM sold Toyota robots to make cars then GM execs say Toyota is crap even though they sell Prizm cars made by Toyota.
Don't get deep on me Dr. Joyce Brothers, err Dr. Phillip Morris.
You know I am not ashamed to admit, I don't "remember" hearing that before.
Live and learn I guess.
Btw, the Lidsay cue I bought was owned by Efren before.

Jon

Custom User Title
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joseph Cues said:
HEY, I was posting a HYPOTHETICAL question.
Kinda like what if GM sold Toyota robots to make cars then GM execs say Toyota is crap even though they sell Prizm cars made by Toyota.
Don't get deep on me Dr. Joyce Brothers, err Dr. Phillip Morris.
You know I am not ashamed to admit, I don't "remember" hearing that before.
Live and learn I guess.
Btw, the Lidsay cue I bought was owned by Efren before.
Don't get deep??? LOL :D . That $#it is shallow lol. You don't want me to go deep. For that, i would need some some of those new joints you were talking about...

I know it was a hypothetical question lol, really it was... And i agree with it too...

Thanks,

Jon

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm still wondering who the cuemaker was who screwed him...although I am pretty sure he wouldn't post it publicly. Still, it makes you go 'hmmmmm'. :)

Lisa

cuedoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
American Cues

classiccues said:
My apologies to the cuemaker Viattorre for the mix up with the casemaker. I don't see enough of either to make any credible distinction. Like guys who think that Szamboti's are used to clean the ice at hockey games. :)

A good name is definately earned, I agree, but I already made a cuemaker a name and got screwed by said cuemaker, so I ain't in the market anymore to help people get their name out there just to get my "discount" adjusted, after he takes some orders and his head no longer fits through the door. So don't go banking on me to help any fledgling cuemakers unless we have a contract thats binding. :)

As far as your last statement I think you know who you mean and if you arm your enemies, you will spend your life fighting them off.

I might have ment Lind, but I know Lind, Bing, again, just me not taking the time to go back and correct my cuemaker names.

Joe

PERSONALLY I WOULD WOUNDER WHY ANYBODY WOULD EVEN CONSIDER CHOOSING A CHEAPLY MADE FORIEGN CUE OVER A WELL MADE CUSTOM CUE FROM A RESPECTED CUE MAKER HERE IN THE US. PRICE WOULD HAVE TO BE THE ONLY THING . HOW COME SOUTHWEST CUES ARE #1 IN ASIA? THEY HAVE GREAT PLAYERS BUT THEY CHOOSE SW ANYTIME THEY CAN GET ONE.IF A US CUEMAKER IS CHOOSING TO OFF SHORE HIS PRODUCTION LINE OF CUES,WELL THEY MUST NOT BE VERY GOOD TO BEGIN WITH. THOSE OF US THAT SPEND GOOD MONEY ON CUES KNOW BETTER AND THOSE THAT JUST NEED A CUE TO BEAT ON USE THESE 200 IV0RY CUES FROM OVER SEAS.LAST TIME I CHECKED THERE WEREN,T MANY FORIEGN CUEMAKERS IN THE BLUE BOOK OF CUES.LOL

i210mfu

Markus
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overseas Cuemakers

Viattorre does not need a resaler/dealer I think. His cues are in demand there and all over Asia now.

Joseph,

I hope you are right about Viattorre because I ordered a cue from him and I am waiting on it for a while now....
The story about the US cuemaker training others overseas and then coming back to the US waving the flag reminds me about Bill Stroud and Eurowest. Eurowest is a German cuemaker which produces excellent cues. Ask Juston Coleman or any other who had a chance to hit with one. The learned their trade form Stroud and later had a lot of trouble with each other.

Markus