Sometimes We Get Lucky

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
I went to the bar this last weekend to get some practice in. I started out playing 9ball and on the first break the 9 goes straight into the corner. So I rack them up again real quick and I made the 9 on the break again, along with 3 other balls. Not only did I get the 9 ball in off my first two breaks of the evening but I also made 3 other balls on the 2nd break. I guess sometimes we all get lucky but it sure did make me feel great. Feel free to share an experience where the pool gods were shining on you.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me and my buddies have a sort of inside rule when we play. A break and run = a free beer. 9 on the break counts too. It just adds a little more excitement when playing for nothing with friends. We found ourselves in Sheffield a few years ago after the UK Snooker Championships and we went on the hunt to find somewhere to play pool. Stumbled across this place that was very studenty but they had like 15 tables so we stayed for the day. The tables were beat up, drink stains on the tables, old balls, crappy dented to hell house cues...but a magic rack on every table. This table was by far the quickest pool table I'd played on at this point, which turned out to be a good thing. We play winner stays on and the losers rotate their turns to play the winner if that makes sense? Anyway, my turn comes up and I get the break. I hit it as hard as I could and the 9 slowly makes its way to the opposite bottom corner pocket. It wobbles and falls. Free drink. Next up, I had a nice long chalk mark from where I broke so I placed the cue ball in the spot and smashed them again. Exact same outcome. Another drink. At this point my friends are wondering what's happening. I break again and again and again, 7 times in a row I made the 9. I've never seen anything like it. On the 10th attempt the 9 came up short but I made a ball and had a simple run out. I ran another 2 after this and had 12 beers waiting for me. There was obviously something not right with the magic rack we were using but I wasn't complaining. I think I won like 25 or so beers that day but I could only manage to drink 9 :-( which reminds me I'm owed 13 beers.

I didn't manage to make the 9 after that. The rackets had the bright idea to flip the magic rack over and someone wiped my chalk mark away. But I got my monies worth I'd say. I've never played on a table that broke so easily. There were only about 3 or 4 dry breaks from all of us that day and we must have played over a 100 racks. I probably should've hidden that house cue under my jacket on the way out and made it my break cue thinking about it. I've since been back several times and requested that table but the magic racks have gone and the table has been moved slightly. Its been reclothed too so its a little slower. But yeah, that's the luckiest run I've ever been on in pool.

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
Me and my buddies have a sort of inside rule when we play. A break and run = a free beer. 9 on the break counts too. It just adds a little more excitement when playing for nothing with friends. We found ourselves in Sheffield a few years ago after the UK Snooker Championships and we went on the hunt to find somewhere to play pool. Stumbled across this place that was very studenty but they had like 15 tables so we stayed for the day. The tables were beat up, drink stains on the tables, old balls, crappy dented to hell house cues...but a magic rack on every table. This table was by far the quickest pool table I'd played on at this point, which turned out to be a good thing. We play winner stays on and the losers rotate their turns to play the winner if that makes sense? Anyway, my turn comes up and I get the break. I hit it as hard as I could and the 9 slowly makes its way to the opposite bottom corner pocket. It wobbles and falls. Free drink. Next up, I had a nice long chalk mark from where I broke so I placed the cue ball in the spot and smashed them again. Exact same outcome. Another drink. At this point my friends are wondering what's happening. I break again and again and again, 7 times in a row I made the 9. I've never seen anything like it. On the 10th attempt the 9 came up short but I made a ball and had a simple run out. I ran another 2 after this and had 12 beers waiting for me. There was obviously something not right with the magic rack we were using but I wasn't complaining. I think I won like 25 or so beers that day but I could only manage to drink 9 :-( which reminds me I'm owed 13 beers.

I didn't manage to make the 9 after that. The rackets had the bright idea to flip the magic rack over and someone wiped my chalk mark away. But I got my monies worth I'd say. I've never played on a table that broke so easily. There were only about 3 or 4 dry breaks from all of us that day and we must have played over a 100 racks. I probably should've hidden that house cue under my jacket on the way out and made it my break cue thinking about it. I've since been back several times and requested that table but the magic racks have gone and the table has been moved slightly. Its been reclothed too so its a little slower. But yeah, that's the luckiest run I've ever been on in pool.

Great story! I can't believe you got 7 in a row, that impressive. To bad you weren't in the million dollar challenge when that happened!

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha I know. After the 3rd my friends just racked and sat down waiting for the 9 to drop. The amount of luck involved is ridiculous. For the 9 not to get kicked out of the way 7 times in a row is just fishy to me. The rack must not have been tight even with a magic rack. If I was racking, after the second time id make sure the 9 was touching all surrounding balls.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wait -- 7 in a row on the break or 9? Are you drinking those other beers now?

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait -- 7 in a row on the break or 9? Are you drinking those other beers now?
7. My original post wasn't very clear but I made 7 in a row. Won 2 games and broke and run out on the 10th, 11th and 12th games.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
7. My original post wasn't very clear but I made 7 in a row. Won 2 games and broke and run out on the 10th, 11th and 12th games.

Well, that's too bad. I thought you might have done something really unusual.:)

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
playing league last week i had a team mate playing 8 ball in a 5-5 race. my team mate won the lag and proceeded to make the 8 on the break 3 times in a row. then he finished off the match with 2 break and runs.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a good one Pidge! Very impressive...

Mine happened a while ago on a diamond table. I was a playing a much better player who was giving me the 8 in 9 ball. The 8 was placed in the second row of the rack and I managed to cross bank it four times in a row off the break (it came off the long rail and went into the side pocket...) Even when my opponent switched the side the 8 was on, I simply broke from the other side. He eventually put it in the bottom of the rack.