Specs for a Carom shaft on a Custom Pool Cue

Angeleyes1978

Registered
Hey Guys, I need a bit of advice here. A buddy just got an old 3 Cushion table and we have been playing a little and wow, it's a a lot of fun, almost addicting. I have a custom pool cue and and wanted to have a carom shaft made for it by the maker. He asked what specs I wanted and I was unsure. What is the best way to go about this? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....V

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I dont know of many tip dia over 12mm for carom
Smaller tip size better spin but some still use over 12mm
I use from 11 to 12 max
European (conical) taper
26-27 inch lenght
Standard stuff

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
since the taper of a carom cue is different from a pool cue in most cases
you cue maker may not have as much experience making carom shafts
would you consider just buying a carom cue shaft to match the pin of your pool cue?

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The joint sections on carom cues are generally thicker than pool cues (something around .850 inches) in order to provide more support.

I played 3c a couple of times with my very stiff maple pool cue and it vibrated like a tuning fork.

In the end I bought a separate carom cue for 3c.

Last edited:

donuteric

always a newbie
Silver Member
I recently had Ron Kilby made me one with Shooni taper (similar to a pro taper but true parabolic) at 12mm and 28" long to fit a 3/8x10 Lambros with 840 joint diameter. It plays very stiff and works extremely well in 3C.

Dean_H

luv the small modalities
Silver Member
My friend has a Tad custom pool cue Butt which he had Tad's son make a shaft for 3c. I will ask him tommorow if he has the specs for the shaft.

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Guys, I need a bit of advice here. A buddy just got an old 3 Cushion table and we have been playing a little and wow, it's a a lot of fun, almost addicting. I have a custom pool cue and and wanted to have a carom shaft made for it by the maker. He asked what specs I wanted and I was unsure. What is the best way to go about this? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....V

hi

to make it simple , ask for a conical taper (<--stiffness is needed for 3C), 27 or 28inch 12mm diameter with a short ferrule (not a 1") and the tip you've used to . you can't go wrong with that for 3C , and it's not a wasted shaft, you could even use it as a decent break shaft when playing pool .

Last edited:

Dean_H

luv the small modalities
Silver Member
My friend did not have the specs for the Carom shaft he uses, but he says it is a conic taper to 12mm tip. Sorry as that is not much help.

When I started playing Carom billiards, as I switched from playing pool, the most comfortable taper I played with was the Adam/Helmstetter/Buffalo Carom cue taper which is a European taper. I am not sure if the Adam Taper is proprietary or not.

Angeleyes1978

Registered
Hey, I just wanted to thank all of you guys for taking the time to post and give me advice, I now realize what my best options are and will weigh them and see what I'm going to do here. Not looking to be a pro, just want the right tools for the job....V

mazin shooni

Registered
Ron,
I didn't know that you make shafts for different cues -
I have always send players your way and still do,
I think you know that already,

Best
Mazin