Stage IV shaft by Dale Perry?

n0th1ng

Son of the beach
Silver Member
I tried to google the review of this shaft but no luck. I know there is someone out there using this shaft :smile:

mearlin

You are now a toa..ZZZzzz
I'll try my best to say how they hit.

First of all though, let me say something about the wood. The wood, at least on mine, is curly maple. It was rough when I got it, not so rough that one could not shoot with it. I had to work on it a bit to smooth it out, however with only hand equipment there is not much I can do, it still feels bumpy, but it very slick feeling now.

The shafts I have access to are a meucci red dot, black dot, joss from about 20 years ago, and a couple of meucci pre dot.

The Stage IV shaft is stiffer than the meucci pre dot shafts. It feels like the shaft is between the black and red dot meucci shafts, I would have to say more than halfway between them toward the red dot. This is all in how it feels to me of course. The feed back seems to feel like the red dot. The tip seems to hold up well, I reshaped it to a dime radius because that seems to be what my Dad likes. It does not need much care and does not seem to compress.

Not sure what else I can say about it. Ask questions and maybe I can answer them.

n0th1ng

Son of the beach
Silver Member
@Mearlin: I havent used any meucci shafts so I have no idea what is the feel or feedback of black dot and red dot shafts. Also which joint installed in you DP cue? Unilock or Radial? And about the taper, do you feel comfortable with it as it's described as very long straight taper. Not sure how it differs with other taper.

mearlin

Brass radial pin. Steel joint on the butt side, phenolic joint material, wood threads. The taper on the shaft is conical, which is what he says they are.

Not sure how I can be less vague. It's all opinion and all opinions are vague. Let me see what I can say that might help. While practicing, I find that I don't have to compensate as far when applying english to the cue ball. The sound from the hit is a soft thump sound and I feel some feedback(vibration). The handle area is thinner than most cues I have picked up, Not a lot and it does not have any effect on my play, my wife likes it, as it fits her hand better.

If a person has been using low end cues, then the cue will be a great upgrade, if they have been using a $200 dollar cue from a reputable cue maker, then probably it will come out even or less, depending on the person. If I had a team and they were using $100 dollar cues, I would buy his cues for them. Again, this is all opinion, this is still vague most likely. Keep asking and I will keep trying to answer you.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Brass radial pin. Steel joint on the butt side, phenolic joint material, wood threads. The taper on the shaft is conical, which is what he says they are.

Not sure how I can be less vague. It's all opinion and all opinions are vague. Let me see what I can say that might help. While practicing, I find that I don't have to compensate as far when applying english to the cue ball. The sound from the hit is a soft thump sound and I feel some feedback(vibration). The handle area is thinner than most cues I have picked up, Not a lot and it does not have any effect on my play, my wife likes it, as it fits her hand better.

If a person has been using low end cues, then the cue will be a great upgrade, if they have been using a $200 dollar cue from a reputable cue maker, then probably it will come out even or less, depending on the person. If I had a team and they were using $100 dollar cues, I would buy his cues for them. Again, this is all opinion, this is still vague most likely. Keep asking and I will keep trying to answer you.

What is the tip size & is it a low defletion shaft? I'm trying to decide on a small tip, LD, conical (European) taper. Thanks for your help & info reviewing this shaft.

mearlin

He says it is just under 13mm, feels like the 12.75mm shafts that I have. Have not specifically measured it.

He does not say it is a LD shaft, he sells a LD shaft separately. It feels like it has a lower deflection than the cues I have. All subjective, I am guessing here.

The shaft slowly gets smaller and smaller as it gets closer to the tip, at least that is how it feels. Other shafts that I have, which are said to be pro taper shafts, feel different. So it is not a pro taper, but the conical taper he says they are.

The shafts are not small, the conical taper is odd if you are used to a pro taper, feels like a old house cue where it just started getting smaller and smaller after the handle area, not sure how to say it otherwise.

it came with a nickel radius tip, tip holds chalk well, does not compress. I have not had to do anything to it and have roughly 30 racks on the tip. I do not break with it, but have done some some hits that are nearly as hard a break just to see how it held up.

What is the tip size & is it a low defletion shaft? I'm trying to decide on a small tip, LD, conical (European) taper. Thanks for your help & info reviewing this shaft.

Last edited:

n0th1ng

Son of the beach
Silver Member
Have u tried to put other shafts with radial pin joint on it? As he says his radial pin joint is unique and he also sells his own radial joint. We really appriciate your precious info

mearlin

I don't have anything else with that type of radial pin. Here is a link to one I found that looks very similar. No idea if this is the actual pin, but it is close, particularly the long smooth part at the top, which helps to guide the pin to the center when inserting the pin into the shaft.

http://www.uniqueinc.com/inc/sdetail/2407/2736

Have u tried to put other shafts with radial pin joint on it? As he says his radial pin joint is unique and he also sells his own radial joint. We really appriciate your precious info

Last edited: