Stainless Butt Caps

blackhawk357m

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen these on various cues, but was wondering does anyone supply them? Been looking for quite awhile and I can't find them on the normal supply places.

Any ideas as to where to get them from?

Nathan Brugmann

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
I've seen these on various cues, but was wondering does anyone supply them? Been looking for quite awhile and I can't find them on the normal supply places.

Any ideas as to where to get them from?

Nathan Brugmann

I'd be looking for some 1 1/4" SS Pipe and parting them off.

TommyLee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
316 ss pipe. im no cue maker, and im barely a pool player, however i am a pipefitter and thats the best stuff.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
316 ss pipe. im no cue maker, and im barely a pool player, however i am a pipefitter and thats the best stuff.

Tommy,

What is the reason you feel the 316 SS would be best. I'm not questioning your opinion. I'm not a pipefitter , however I am a cuemaker. :) What I mean, I would think you'd want something that would polish up the best. Probably something on the softer side. I don't think strength would be a factor. I'm wondering what criteria you used in thinking the
316 SS would be best. Not arguing the choice, just trying to learn something about SS.

Sherm

TommyLee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
316 is one of the purest forms of stainless so you won't run the risk of it rusting if you have it sitting around in the shop. It polishes amazing. We use it a lot it food grade piping systems as it can be polished beautifully and easily or can be ordered polished. Although you'd probably have to go with schedule 40 or 80 because schedule 10 is so thin there'd be very little tolerance in machining. 304 or 308/309 have a higher carbon content.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
316 is one of the purest forms of stainless so you won't run the risk of it rusting if you have it sitting around in the shop. It polishes amazing. We use it a lot it food grade piping systems as it can be polished beautifully and easily or can be ordered polished. Although you'd probably have to go with schedule 40 or 80 because schedule 10 is so thin there'd be very little tolerance in machining. 304 or 308/309 have a higher carbon content.

Thanks Tommy! I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

Sherm

TommyLee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No problem. That's also the extent of my lathe knowledge as well lol put piece in, machine and polish.