staying at the table after shooting a safety

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have noticed many times, even top players, will shoot a safety and stay at the table for a while, sometimes walking all the way around the table, to see up close if they really hooked their opponent or not......then they walk to their chair

Is this a little rude?? or is it just me :confused:

(Shouldn't you just sit down right away after you shoot your safety..............you don't need to follow the cue ball around the table. You will find out soon enough if your opponent can see the ball or not)

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have noticed many times, even top players, will shoot a safety and stay at the table for a while, sometimes walking all the way around the table, to see up close if they really hooked their opponent or not......then they walk to their chair

(Shouldn't you just sit down right away after you shoot your safety..............you don't need to follow the cue ball around the table. You will find out soon enough if your opponent can see the ball or not)

I agree. Your turn is over, go sit the f*ck down.

rrick33

Rick
Silver Member
I guess it's all a matter of perspective. When you make a shot or miss one, it's obvious but if you're playing a difficult safety, there's always a desire to see if you were successful and sometimes you have to see it from multiple angles to know what your opponent is left to work with.

You can bet your opponent's going to assess the shot from many angles if he's hooked. I think it's nothing more than looking ahead at the opponents options so you know what limitations are at play and what to expect given how successful or unsuccessful the safety turned out.

Banks

Banned

Getting bent out of shape because someone walks to the spot where they safetied? That takes like five seconds.

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess it's all a matter of perspective. When you make a shot or miss one, it's obvious but if you're playing a difficult safety, there's always a desire to see if you were successful and sometimes you have to see it from multiple angles to know what your opponent is left to work with.

You can bet your opponent's going to assess the shot from many angles if he's hooked. I think it's nothing more than looking ahead at the opponents options so you know what limitations are at play and what to expect given how successful or unsuccessful the safety turned out.

None of this is any of your business. The table now belongs to your opponent.

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting bent out of shape because someone walks to the spot where they safetied? That takes like five seconds.

I agree, it's not worth getting bent out of shape over.

Unless that's five seconds you're taking off my shot clock.

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
People really need to get their shorts untied.

If I notice that you get bent out of shape because I'm taking a little time at the the table to see how my shot turned out, you can be sure I'll do it every time.

I wouldn't call it a shark move either, because the people that don't have the patients to wait 5 seconds before getting twisted are sharking themselves.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Taking a quick glance to see the result of your shot is okay with me, as long as you dont take more than a couple of seconds and stay out of my way when I approach the table.

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member

your shot clock (who plays with a shot clock anyways) starts when you approach the table.

Relax dude. there are so many other things in the world to get bent out of shape for.

bad_hit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here comes good advice that has helped me win more, it'll help you too - you need to let it go.

Your mental game will take a hit if you let this bother you. It's the same thing as really slow players shooting straight in 6 inch stop shots and taking 90 seconds, people will do it and you need to not let it get to you.

Short of them punching you in the face or something...NOTHING your opponent does or doesn't do at the table should bother you even 1%, including what they say, speed they shoot, standing near the table, etc.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
There is a good reason.

It is reasonable to assess the situation before leaving the table. If it is a good safety, there's the potential for needing a referee to watch. So let them look, unless you want them to call for a referee every time.

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The vast majority of players check the outcome of their safties...no big deal.

Personally, I find it out of the norm if my opponent does not check. Have no problem sitting there, or standing off to the side to give them a few seconds to check their work. The expression on their face will tell the tale of the shot's effectiveness. Best is when they have that "F-me" face going at that point.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Sometimes it's nice to assess your execution, which would require looking at how well you hooked your opponent. This can be helpful in assessing what you should do differently next time.

From now on, I guess I'll jump up from my stance, and begin sprinting back to my chair after every single stroke.. You know, just in case I miss; I would hate to take too long to get out of my opponent's way.

Banks

Banned

I play relatively fast. I also check the angles of my safety. As was said, your clock doesn't begin until you approach the table.

No, your turn is over when it becomes my turn and it is my turn when all balls have stopped rolling. So go STFD! :smile:

No! :p Doctor says to stretch my legs.

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a move.... and showboating. Totally unnecessary.

Kinda like when all the B players go checking the racks ....it's ludicrous.