staying down on the shot?

JAW725

Southpaw
Silver Member
Do you keep your eyes focused on the cue ball through the entire stroke routine???? SPF=randyg

Hello Randy,

I look at the cueball almost exclusively during my routine and execution. I know that everyone will flame me for reading this but I'm about a B- / B player and a pretty decent potter, but when I look at the OB contact point last I instantly become a C player...no joke. I would like to know why I miss routine shots when I look at the OB last but I'm thinking that just may not work with me. I have heard that I'm supposed to and what not but why do I play horrible when I do?

btoneill

Keeper of the Cheese
Silver Member
I normally use a generous amount of Crazy Glue... the hall owners aren't too happy about it, but it works for me! The only drawback is I walk around with green cloth on my hand for days afterwards...

But seriously...

I watch the cue ball during my warm up strokes, which are always aimed center ball. I than adjust for any possible spin and begin my back stroke. While pulling back for my back stroke I change my line of site to my aim point (OB or rail). I stroke the shot, and once the cue ball strikes the aim point I look back down at the tip of my cue to make sure it has stopped on the proper line. Once I do that I than get up.

Most of the time when I miss a shot when I look back down the aim line I'll see the tip of my cue either to the left or right of that line.

Brian

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
but when I look at the OB contact point last I instantly become a C player?

If this isn't a mis-print, I think I know your problem. Your eyes shouldn't be going to the OB contact point...they should be going to the OB aim point. Unless you are shooting a dead straight in shot, the two are not the same.

Steve

btoneill

Keeper of the Cheese
Silver Member
If this isn't a mis-print, I think I know your problem. Your eyes shouldn't be going to the OB contact point...they should be going to the OB aim point. Unless you are shooting a dead straight in shot, the two are not the same.

Made a big difference for me when I figured that out! :)

chin0

"Chino Miss-A-Lot"
Silver Member
I focus more on potting the OB and go position rather than staying down. Most of the time when you have a good follow through and smooth stroke, you are likely staying down.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
I watch the cue ball during my warm up strokes, which are always aimed center ball. I than adjust for any possible spin and begin my back stroke. While pulling back for my back stroke I change my line of site to my aim point

to execute a shot your eyes have to move and your cue has to move .. but they should NEVER both be moving at the same time.. if one is moving the other should be still..

learning that single point has helped me tremendously all by itself

George mikula, nearly 20 years ago, was playing with me when finally he couldn't stand seeing me jump up right after shooting. He calmly walked over to me and grabbed my left hand. With a sharpie, he wrote the word "down" on my index finger between hand and first knuckle. Of course, that's my bridge finger, and while stroking the cue becomes an unavoidable learning aid.

Try it. It's guaranteed to help anyone who jumps up on their shots.

Rg

JAW725

Southpaw
Silver Member

Steve

Hi Steve,

Actually it was a misprint :) I know exactly what you mean by OB aim point. After work I just through out the rack and ran balls while looking at the OB/aim point last and the results were a little better then I expected. However I still missed some shots that I think would be no problem if I performed my usual routine of looking at the CB last. I'm also scarred to try and change this with league fast approaching, I don't want to blow games because I'm trying to make changes that I'm not yet comfortable with. It would especially upset me if I felt that I could have pot it with my old routine, I would never gain confidence in the changes.

Thanks for your input though, I appreciate it.