Str8 Shots "Shoot For a Cure" Tournament Results

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Str8 Shots http://str8-shots.com/, an online billiards & darts store and community for many things billiards/darts related, held their 1st annual “Shoot For a Cure” tournament at Felt Billiards in Englewood, CO this past weekend to help raise money for the fight to find a cure for cancer. From their website: “Shoot For A Cure” was developed as a way for billiard and dart players to support the cure and play the game they are passionate about; while still being able to educate others about cancer. It was amazing! (If you would like to learn more about this tournament look here: http://str8-shots.com/shootforacure).

We all thank Kim & Marc Griffiths of Str8 Shots for their generosity and tireless effort in hosting and running this tournament. And thanks to Samm Diep-Vidal and the staff at Felt for hosting the events this weekend and their tireless efforts making it an easy event to enjoy, they kept us fed and hydrated all weekend :).

There were three tournaments: Open 8-ball on bar boxes; Women’s 9-ball on 9’; & Juniors 9-ball on 9’. The entry fee was that each person either donated, or had donated on their behalf, a minimum amount for each tournament to one of the two cancer foundations (Livestrong or Breast Cancer) or BEF (Billiard Education Foundation). Here are the results from their facebook page (I think there were 42-44 players in the open, not sure of the rest):

Str8 Shots
Shoot For A Cure Tournament Results
Open Results
1st - Mark Haddad - $750.00
2nd - Marc Vidal - $575.00
3rd – Danny Medina – $425.00
4th – John Sandifer - $300.00
5th/6th – Melissa Little/David Gross - $150.00
7th/8th – Andres Deherra/Doug James - $75.00

Women’s Results
1st - Carol James – $375.00
2nd - Sharon Hubbard - $250.00
3rd - Cheryl Jones - $150.00
4th - Emily Pond – 75.00

Juniors Event
1st – Geoffrey Quezada– 250.00
2nd – Taren Stewart – 150.00
3rd – Stephen Griffiths - $100.00

Thanks for looking. I hope this is a bigger tournament next year, but I think they did great for their first effort. It also competed with the APA US Nationals Qualifiers the same weekend (bad luck) which took many players that would have played and in fact donated to the cause.

Again, thank you Str8 Shots!

Dave
 
Great stuff Dave. If pool is to grow in the public's awareness, charity events are the best way to do it.

I agree with you, charity tournaments are a great way help with the public's awareness, now if the public ever knew about it...Maybe next year they can have some local news coverage to begin that process.

But I must say that the spirit of the event was to help find a cure for cancer and to benefit the BEF, and in that respect it was a great success. It should only grow from here. (Just to be clear, I was a proud participant, not an organizer - but thank Str8 Shots and Felt again).

Thanks for your nice post.

dave
 
Yes, good tournament. I wanted to go farther than 2 and out but I lost to 2 of the better players in Colorado, Ruben Silva and Frank Urbaniak.MY game against Frank I was completely distracted watching Danny Medina play on the table next to me.
 
Back
Top