Well...then if it's an Adam it gets advertised as "made by Helmstetter" of course.I once took a course on cue identification. For the licensure exam, they told us, if you don't know the answer, pick C unless, of course, it wasn't a multiple-choice question. In those cases, they told us to pick "Adam," and we would be correct 62.7% of the time.![]()
Is it a Dave Wilmoth "custom cue" ?So, I watched a cue sale and was astonished at the price it sold for. I'm pretty sure I know what it is, and I think I know some what bidders might think it is.
Before I let out the details, let's start with this:
Do you recognize this shaft wood, and would you pay over $300 for a cue with that shaft? I left out the joint because some will ID that.
Is it a Dave Wilmoth "custom cue" ?
You bet. I have gone down on record stating all wraps on all pool cues should be white with green specs.Oh?
You like it?
I'm a fan.You bet. I have gone down on record stating all wraps on all pool cues should be white with green specs.
The cue I posted has no branding. It has a raminwood flat face shaft, and it looks like a synthetic wrap. The ad says it was set up for an extension, so the bumper was changed. It was listed as an 18 pin, but is a 14 pin.
Why is the cue so odd to me? Mainly the shaft. There are rumors the branded ones like below were made by Falcon, and that they were made in Canada. I think that drove the price up. Falcon did start in Canada, but these cues were made by KPS in Taiwan.
The cue in question has a great finish. One could say the brand came off in the refinish. But who would put so much into a cue, like a refinish and setup for an extension, yet have a raminwood shaft?
There is more to the story...
The design matches this:
View attachment 936095
View attachment 936096
View attachment 936097
Yes, and this isn't an Orchid. Or at least I don't think it is.orchid were very good entry level cues
It looks like a lot of false information produced by AI is driving a lot of that.Either way it's a $75 to $85 dollar cue that was bid up by morons.
I don't understand the irrational exuberance that is sweeping the used pool cue auctions across all the sites right now.
I've pretty much stopped bidding.
Item description from the seller
4 point cue with inlay design
12.4mm medium tip
hybrid pro taper maple shaft with matching ring works
5/16 x 18 joint
~18 - 19 oz
Extension ready
Minor scuffs on the butt from use
Hits fantastic if you prefer wood shafts over carbon
As is
I honestly had not thought about AI driving the frenzy and I use it constantly but not to identify cues.It looks like a lot of false information produced by AI is driving a lot of that.
It is not hallucination either.
It gets much information from forums, Facebook, Reddit, etc.
It can't see actual sold prices for accepted offers on eBay, so it uses asking prices for values.
Additionally, people are using AI to identify cues, which it commonly gets wrong.
It's also designed to stroke you, so it will say "Wow! What a discovery of a rare collectible cue!" Unless you know how to prompt it not to do that.
In this case, the cue was listed as: "Pampanga Custom Pool Cue 4 Point Inlays"
There you see it, the shaft was listed as maple. And Pampanga? And 18 pin?
You can see in the pictures it is a 14 pin.
As my thread title says "strange".
Here in this forum, people recognized that shaft was not maple right away and I think most knew it was raminwood.
And it went for $305 plus $15.93 shipping.![]()
Nice looking wand.
Wishful thinking is stroked by public AI. It is designed to do it.I honestly had not thought about AI driving the frenzy and I use it constantly but not to identify cues.
I do use Google image search to look for matching design elements but that is the limit of what I'm willing to trust this stuff for.
I have noticed that recently I've seen more eBay auctions attributing cues to famous well known makers but assumed that was wishful thinking and not someone taking direct instruction from their AI overlords...
It looks like a lot of false information produced by AI is driving a lot of that.
It is not hallucination either.
It gets much information from forums, Facebook, Reddit, etc.
It can't see actual sold prices for accepted offers on eBay, so it uses asking prices for values.
Additionally, people are using AI to identify cues, which it commonly gets wrong.
It's also designed to stroke you, so it will say "Wow! What a discovery of a rare collectible cue!" Unless you know how to prompt it not to do that.
In this case, the cue was listed as: "Pampanga Custom Pool Cue 4 Point Inlays"
There you see it, the shaft was listed as maple. And Pampanga? And 18 pin?
You can see in the pictures it is a 14 pin.
As my thread title says "strange".
Here in this forum, people recognized that shaft was not maple right away and I think most knew it was raminwood.
And it went for $305 plus $15.93 shipping.![]()
Wishful thinking is stroked by public AI. It is designed to do it.