Table size factors?

If the average pool table is 8' and you're playing 9 ball, and you're after putting the 1 ball, and wing ball in the pockets on the break. Would the pack aiming point be different on a 7' table or a 9' table please?

I ask because I'm assuming all the games I watch are played on an 8', and all the breaks when balls are pocketed on the break have the same aiming point?

Does that make any sense please guys?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If the average pool table is 8' and you're playing 9 ball, and you're after putting the 1 ball, and wing ball in the pockets on the break. Would the pack aiming point be different on a 7' table or a 9' table please?

I ask because I'm assuming all the games I watch are played on an 8', and all the breaks when balls are pocketed on the break have the same aiming point?

The changes due to table size aren't large. You can think of it as making the balls larger instead of the table smaller. That makes it a little easier to see that the angles to the pockets from the balls in the rack change a little. Far more important are the differences in break rules in the different events.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The changes due to table size aren't large. You can think of it as making the balls larger instead of the table smaller. That makes it a little easier to see that the angles to the pockets from the balls in the rack change a little. Far more important are the differences in break rules in the different events.
The highlighted part is why you get the big bucks, Bob. :)

pj
chgo

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you are watching online pro or league matches, they are very rarely on 8 footers, either 9 or 7. 8 footers are most common as home tables.

Zerksies

Physics don’t change. Relying on diamonds from a small to big table is useless. Learn the path that the CB travels.

Zerksies

Tell that to a 3 cushion player. Do you really think they DONT use the diamonds?
I’m talking about going from a 7 footer to a 9 footer and vice versa. The diamonds are not the same distance apart on both tables.

The diamond system gets you there to a point. Things like speed and experience are other factors

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m talking about going from a 7 footer to a 9 footer and vice versa. The diamonds are not the same distance apart on both tables.

The diamond system gets you there to a point. Things like speed and experience are other factors
I do notice that there is a slight difference when you have an object ball directly on the foot spot and the cue ball somewhere near the middle of the table, but no thinner than a half ball hit. Even though the tangent lines on both size tables would take the cue ball directly towards a corner pocket scratch if hit with easy paced roll on the cue ball, you will be far more likely to scratch on the 7 foot table, as there is less than 2 feet between the contact point and the corner pocket as opposed to over 2-1/2 feet on the 9 foot table. That extra 6-7 inches gives you a little more room for the cue ball to veer north of the tangent line to contact the end cushion, if that makes any sense?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I do notice that there is a slight difference when you have an object ball directly on the foot spot and the cue ball somewhere near the middle of the table, but no thinner than a half ball hit. Even though the tangent lines on both size tables would take the cue ball directly towards a corner pocket scratch if hit with easy paced roll on the cue ball, you will be far more likely to scratch on the 7 foot table, as there is less than 2 feet between the contact point and the corner pocket as opposed to over 2-1/2 feet on the 9 foot table. That extra 6-7 inches gives you a little more room for the cue ball to veer north of the tangent line to contact the end cushion, if that makes any sense?
Yes, that makes some sense, but I don't think a half ball hit or fuller on a spot shot has any chance to scratch on either size table assuming you are rolling the cue ball and the cue ball is not light.

I think your numbers are a little off. On a 9-foot table, the distance from the spot to the pocket is 12.5*2*1.414 or 35.36 inches, or maybe a little less depending on where the pocket starts.

fuggles

But they are relatively the same, or proportionate (proportional?). Meaning on either a 9ft or 7ft table, if I shoot from the second diamond nearest me to the first diamond across from me the ball with go in the corner pocket. No different. The distance between the diamonds does not matter. What matters is are the diamonds 1/8 of the table length apart. And is the table a rectangle of length equals 2 times width.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Of course the diamonds on a 9 foot are wider spaced then on a 7. But as mentioned by Fuggles, it is proportionate to the table size. Speed and spin being the same, hitting at diamond two will always go to diamond 4 no matter what size table you are on.

Yes, everyone knows you have to make adjustments for table conditions. But the diamond system is universal.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, that makes some sense, but I don't think a half ball hit or fuller on a spot shot has any chance to scratch on either size table assuming you are rolling the cue ball and the cue ball is not light.

I think your numbers are a little off. On a 9-foot table, the distance from the spot to the pocket is 12.5*2*1.414 or 35.36 inches, or maybe a little less depending on where the pocket starts.
Bob, I was just guessing and you are correct, on a 9’ table, 35 inches from the head/foot spot to the nearest 2 corner pockets or either side pocket. It doesn’t look that far by eyeballing it, but the tape measure does not lie!