Tagua Nut as a Alternative for Ivory (Vegetable Ivory)

Hollismason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering what people's thoughts on Tagua nut as a alternative for ivory.

Here's the information on it:

https://www.oneworldfairtrade.net/blogs/news/28332353-tagua-nut-an-ethical-alternative-to-ivory

https://bluedoorbeads.wordpress.com/2013/08/07/tagua-nuts-the-eco-friendly-ivory-alternative/

"Tagua nuts are actually the very hard insides of Phytelephas (“ivory palm”) seeds. The “nut”, a.k.a. “vegetable ivory,” starts out covered by two layers: a coconut-type shell on the outside, followed by a brown, flaky skin that covers the “nut” on the inside. Tagua nuts are harvested by either being picked up from the ground after they have fallen from palm trees and forest animals have taken care of the shell, or harvested when ripe and the shell is manually removed. The hardness of the “nut” is very similar to ivory, so it is a very popular material for carvings/sculptures, beads, and buttons. Not only does “vegetable ivory” stimulate local economies in South American countries such as Brazil, Colombia, and Ecuador by providing an alternative to cutting down rainforests for farming, but it also prevents elephants from being killed for their tusks."

Tagua Nuts grow incredibly large:

Octopus-Carving-in-Tagua-Nut-1.jpg

44271taguanut.jpg

800px-Lombards_Museum_1000.jpg

Anyway thoughts?

These grow incredibly large and most certainly could be used possibly in the making of cues? I am unsure I have never seen a cue stick made with "vegetable ivory".

Anyway my reward for becoming better at pool and for winning my leagues best player this fall or going from a AP4 to AP 6 over the course of a year will be to buy a custom cue. I do not agree with using ivory ( regardless of this viewpoint I don't have an issue with ivory cues, in fact I think they're gorgeous). I however would like a cue that had what looked like ivory on it custom made.

So what are peoples thoughts? Can this be used as a substitute on Cue Sticks?