Ten Foot Long Snooker Cues

Minnesota Phat

TenFootSnookerCue1928.jpg

I found this advertisement for ten foot snooker cues in a 1928 Brunswick Catalog.

Has anyone ever seen one? Does anyone know if they're valuable, or know anything else about them?

They seem like an obviously-bad idea, but I guess if you had a giant room with a ton of space between tables they might be fun, and you'd never need to use a bridge.

pw98

Registered
View attachment 644588

I found this advertisement for ten foot snooker cues in a 1928 Brunswick Catalog.

Has anyone ever seen one? Does anyone know if they're valuable, or know anything else about them?

They seem like an obviously-bad idea, but I guess if you had a giant room with a ton of space between tables they might be fun, and you'd never need to use a bridge.
They used to be standard equipment before extended cues came along. Watch a snooker match from the 80s or older... They were meant to be used with the bridge.

Nccm

Registered
View attachment 644588

They have one at college billiards usually under the snooker table

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 644588

They used to have them with 12’ tables in most pool rooms back in the mid 80’s. They were horrible. Usually warped real bad and the equally long rest you had to use it with.

Last I remember seeing one was in the very early 90’s. Nobody really ever used them they were so bad. It was better to “invent” a different solution. Not all places with a 12’ box had them.

But yes I saw them and played have used them. A few times we tried to just play with them instead of a normal cue. Was almost impossible.

Best
Fatboy🟧

Minnesota Phat

They used to have them with 12’ tables in most pool rooms back in the mid 80’s. They were horrible. Usually warped real bad and the equally long rest you had to use it with.

Last I remember seeing one was in the very early 90’s. Nobody really ever used them they were so bad. It was better to “invent” a different solution. Not all places with a 12’ box had them.

But yes I saw them and played have used them. A few times we tried to just play with them instead of a normal cue. Was almost impossible.

Best
Fatboy🟧
That's what I would think - I'm surprised they remained in use for so long!

Reminds me of the saying "I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole."

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's what I would think - I'm surprised they remained in use for so long!

Reminds me of the saying "I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole."
That’s exactly what I thought first time I saw them. My mom always said that. I was 18 first time I saw the 10’ pole lol. They were so awkward. How they lasted long as they did I’m not sure.

Minnesota Phat

That’s exactly what I thought first time I saw them. My mom always said that. I was 18 first time I saw the 10’ pole lol. They were so awkward. How they lasted long as they did I’m not sure.
I still want one.

Apparently (according to David in FL) there's a place in Florida that still uses one.

When the next scamdemic lockdown occurs, billiards halls should adopt ten foot cues and argue to remain open based on exceeding the six foot distance requirement. Then I'll start saying that all cues under ten feet long should be permanently banned, and I'm sure everyone will agree, and will say real nice things about me ;P

But really, I do think it would be hilarious and fun to hold some tournaments requiring the use of a ten foot cue. We could call them "WTF Tournaments."

(Edit: NCCM mentions there is one at "college billiards" (wherever that is) as well).

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still want one.

Apparently (according to David in FL) there's a place in Florida that still uses one.

When the next scamdemic lockdown occurs, billiards halls should adopt ten foot cues and argue to remain open based on exceeding the six foot distance requirement. Then I'll start saying that all cues under ten feet long should be permanently banned, and I'm sure everyone will agree, and will say real nice things about me ;P

But really, I do think it would be hilarious and fun to hold some tournaments requiring the use of a ten foot cue. We could call them "WTF Tournaments."
I kinda would like to have one as well. A super old crooked one-like I remember them ALL being.

Greg M

The snooker hall near my college has two ten-foot cues on either side of the table. They are unwieldly to even set up on the rest in the first place, let alone pot a ball and get them out of the cue ball's way in time.

There's no real need to use them nowadays, with nearly every player owning telescopic extensions.

Imotv8u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still want one.

(Edit: NCCM mentions there is one at "college billiards" (wherever that is) as well).
Nine Mile Billiards in Pensacola, Florida has a twelve foot snooker table and the ten foot cue with a very long bridge to use with it. My son and I played there this summer and he had a shot that required using them both. I think if you watch some of the old snooker matches in Europe the commentators call it the “long tackle”.

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still want one.

I believe College Billiards is in San Deigo, never been there myself