The Bank Shot Calculator, How Much Does $5 Bucks Buy?

Clyde Ellis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There still seems to be skepticism regarding the BSC so I wanted to crunch some numbers and share them with anyone that would take the time. I posted these numbers on an earlier thread and decided they’re worthy of their own title. I will start with the rail ticks and the counter, which counts 1/16th of one diamond. That’s 16 position points per diamond in each direction. So let’s do the math.

16 x 16 = 256 positions per grid square
256 x 32 grid squares = 8192 position points on the playing surface, that’s 8192 per object ball and 8192 per cue ball.
8192 x 8192 = 67,108,864
Different two ball position combinations. So place the object ball at one point on the table the cue ball at the other 8191 positions and when you’re done move the object ball to another location and start over. Currently the BSC only provides four shot types, three speeds and three English selections. So just with those numbers we could say:

67108864 x the Basic Bank Shot with no options = 67108864 however there are often times multiple rail choices to bank off of from a single two ball position combination. I will concede these to keep things simple.
67108864 x Advanced Bank Shot (9) combinations with speed and English options = 603,979,776
shot possibilities and we haven’t started kicking yet. Add all the one rail and two rail kick shot possibilities and this number continues to grow. The beauty of this process allows you to decide what you want to look at, study over and practice.

You may be wondering how I can make such a claim. It’s just logic. We programmed the logic into the devise and the magnitude of possibilities became staggering. Once I’ve created the Droid version I will continue to upgrade with more shot types. We patented the logic and the logic works on all the shots in pool. Even those that seem to defy the logic can be programmed with the right formula, and we have the formulas. I should also note in pool all things are relative. This means if playing on a table the nets two diamonds deflection in 4.5' the object ball will deflect 25% of that or 1/2 diamond. Therefore if you find yourself on a dirty bar box that nets 3 diamonds in 3.5' with the cue ball then expect .75 diamond on the object ball and make the necessary adjustments.

When I hear someone ask App or DVD, which should I get? I’m reminded of Swiss watch conglomerates when the Japanese came out with the quartz. You can’t make a watch without gears and springs were the notion. I ware the Swiss watch when I’m going out because it looks good and comes from the masters, but the quartz has accompanied me on many cold night dive under some pretty big Navy ships. Get the DVDs, they come from the masters. I could never teach you what they can. Get the app and use it to help you remember. I priced it right just for that reason.

I welcome the dialog this forum brings, and appreciate the necessity you all assume for keeping me honest. I am a Retired Navy SEAL. My exploits are on record and I make no false claims. Like most of you out there I detest those who do. I showed my app to everyone at the DCC I could convince to take the time. No slouches there I assure you and I received no negative feedback. In fact it was quite the opposite and I invite anyone who saw it to join this conversation. This project is the culmination of a lifetime of acquired knowledge, acquired from books, DVDs, lessons, and hard knocks. Because so many people taught me so many things I should probably share the credit. But alas, it was my idea. I’ve spent the last ten years bringing it to you. And, I hope you like it.

Last edited:

champ2107

Banned
There still seems to be skepticism regarding the BSC so I wanted to crunch some numbers and share them with anyone that would take the time. I posted these numbers on an earlier thread and decided they’re worthy of their own title. I will start with the rail ticks and the counter, which counts 1/16th of one diamond. That’s 16 position points per diamond in each direction. So let’s do the math.

256 x 32 grid squares = 8192 position points on the playing surface, that’s 8192 per object ball and 8192 per cue ball.
8192 x 8192 = 67,108,864
Different two ball position combinations. So place the object ball at one point on the table the cue ball at the other 8191 positions and when you’re done move the object ball to another location and start over. Currently the BSC only provides four shot types, three speeds and three English selections. So just with those numbers we could say:

67108864 x the Basic Bank Shot with no options = 67108864 however there are often times multiple rail choices to bank off of from a single two ball position combination. I will concede these to keep things simple.
67108864 x Advanced Bank Shot (9) combinations with speed and English options = 603,979,776
shot possibilities and we haven’t started kicking yet. Add all the one rail and two rail kick shot possibilities and this number continues to grow. The beauty of this process allows you to decide what you want to look at, study over and practice.

You may be wondering how I can make such a claim. It’s just logic. We programmed the logic into the devise and the magnitude of possibilities became staggering. Once I’ve created the Droid version I will continue to upgrade with more shot types. We patented the logic and the logic works on all the shots in pool. Even those that seem to defy the logic can be programmed with the right formula, and we have the formulas. I should also note in pool all things are relative. This means if playing on a table the nets two diamonds deflection in 4.5' the object ball will deflect 25% of that or 1/2 diamond. Therefore if you find yourself on a dirty bar box that nets 3 diamonds in 3.5' with the cue ball then expect .75 diamond on the object ball and make the necessary adjustments.

When I hear someone ask App or DVD, which should I get? I’m reminded of Swiss watch conglomerates when the Japanese came out with the quartz. You can’t make a watch without gears and springs were the notion. I ware the Swiss watch when I’m going out because it looks good and comes from the masters, but the quartz has accompanied me on many cold night dive under some pretty big Navy ships. Get the DVDs, they come from the masters. I could never teach you what they can. Get the app and use it to help you remember. I priced it right just for that reason.

I welcome the dialog this forum brings, and appreciate the necessity you all assume for keeping me honest. I am a Retired Navy SEAL. My exploits are on record and I make no false claims. Like most of you out there I detest those who do. I showed my app to everyone at the DCC I could convince to take the time. No slouches there I assure you and I received no negative feedback. In fact it was quite the opposite and I invite anyone who saw it to join this conversation. This project is the culmination of a lifetime of acquired knowledge, acquired from books, DVDs, lessons, and hard knocks. Because so many people taught me so many things I should probably share the credit. But alas, it was my idea. I’ve spent the last ten years bringing it to you. And, I hope you like it.

i bought the app but have not tried it yet, i will give it a go tonight

9ballkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Droid version?

Clyde, how long before the Droid version comes out? I watch you demonstrate the app to Shuff. He seemed very intriqued, guess I can skip a lunch and buy it.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8192 x 8192 = 67,108,864
Different two ball position combinations. So place the object ball at one point on the table the cue ball at the other 8191 positions and when you’re done move the object ball to another location and start over.

If we take that the distance between each diamond changes for size of table, one could infer that 16 points of position between each diamond on a 7' table, each diamond is going to be 9 3/4" apart, giving a position point every 9/16". Basically you have free room to move each ball upwards of 9/16" and still be considered at one of your possible 8192 positions. Now factor for an 8' table, even 9', your distances to chance grow from 9/16", to 11/16" on an 8', to 3/4" on a 9'. Without going deeper into the math, one can have a position on the table, plug it into your BSC, get shown a makable bank, but in reality not have the position to bank it. You should really calculate your points on how much of the cue ball is contacting the table, not some random 16 points from thin air.

Also if you have limited options for what can be done on a shot, then you should have it listed as 'Work In Progress', and be asking for reviews to help improve it. As it stands I will never buy it for $5 right now. Sure you may add more features in the future, but I won't spend money now in hopes of having added features 'Soon'. If it were $1 or free with ads, I might consider it. But right now to few options, and an overall sense to me of an unfinished product pushed out early.

Clyde Ellis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clyde, how long before the Droid version comes out? I watch you demonstrate the app to Shuff. He seemed very intriqued, guess I can skip a lunch and buy it.

He did get kinda gitty didn't he? That was fun. I love showing the Bank Shot Calculator because people are blown away when they hit the shots. I will get the Droid out as soon as I can. A lot of people are asking for it and I am eager and I am pushing for it. However this is a business venture and I must remain disciplined. I'm hoping for this summer.

Thanks for the support,
cheers,

Last edited:

Clyde Ellis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If we take that the distance between each diamond changes for size of table, one could infer that 16 points of position between each diamond on a 7' table, each diamond is going to be 9 3/4" apart, giving a position point every 9/16". Basically you have free room to move each ball upwards of 9/16" and still be considered at one of your possible 8192 positions. Now factor for an 8' table, even 9', your distances to chance grow from 9/16", to 11/16" on an 8', to 3/4" on a 9'. Without going deeper into the math, one can have a position on the table, plug it into your BSC, get shown a makable bank, but in reality not have the position to bank it. You should really calculate your points on how much of the cue ball is contacting the table, not some random 16 points from thin air.

Also if you have limited options for what can be done on a shot, then you should have it listed as 'Work In Progress', and be asking for reviews to help improve it. As it stands I will never buy it for $5 right now. Sure you may add more features in the future, but I won't spend money now in hopes of having added features 'Soon'. If it were $1 or free with ads, I might consider it. But right now to few options, and an overall sense to me of an unfinished product pushed out early.

Man…you are one tough sale, and all this for $5 bucks. Let me concede this. Take the point the object ball will be sitting on the surface and draw a circle around it equal to 1.5 time the ball diameter. Inside that circle and on any pocket cut outs can be subtracted from the 8192 surface positions but, the conceding of the multiple one rail bank shot possibilities should more than make up for that. Now, to the 9/16” space of error. If we programmed the calculator like a micrometer would that make it better? That would be 1/1000th of one diamond. No one is likely to plot the balls on the app or even determine the position of the ball on the table any closer than 1/16th of one diamond unless they move up to a 10’ table in which case we would make the ball in the app small enough to be counted in increments of 1/32nd. But there are not enough 5x10s on the market to justify the expense.

Now, if I may be allowed to back out of this minutia I find myself in, I would like to say you’ve missed the entire point. If my math is off it’s on the conservative side and if the ball is slightly misplotted inside the 9/16” you’re referring to, the size of the pocket should more than make up for it. So, avoid if you must but I challenge you to show me anything ever invented as a training aid for pool players that can claim to be this versatile. The Bank Shot Calculator is like the watch the Swiss said could never work. You may choose to be like the Swiss. You have that right, with my compliments.