The best stroke/cue action you have seen

1sttbone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when it comes to a pure stroke. Allison Fisher clearly has the purest stroke ive seen. In her prime she was by far the purest cueist in the game.

A lot of good selections here -- thanks. I got to see Mizerak play a lot because he was local back in the day, and yes, his stroke was "smooth" -- very seamless, fluid, etc. I'll go in a different direction for one that I saw. Maybe it was the event, the environment, etc. -- but I was at a tournament in South Jersey (I don't remember the room) in the mid-to-late 90's -- and Jimmy Fusco was playing a few games to warm up for an upcoming match. He was talking to people, relaxed, cool, making a joke here and there. Like I said, maybe it was the event or the environment, maybe it was a one off -- but his approach, his set up, stroke, all of it, was so smooth, it was fluid, very smooth, like a well-oiled machine. I have no idea if technically it was sound, correct, or whatever -- but he was just really smooth. I really enjoyed watching him.

I was able to stay through the semis, and much of it is a blur to me, but I do remember some specifics. If my memory serves me correct, Jimmy played Bill Henderson (aka Hendrikson), a strong player (but a real hustler) from NNJ, and beat him. Then he drew a nationally ranked player (I forgot who it was), and beat him. Then he drew Mel M. (Jersey Mel) and beat him as well. I think he won and beat Nick Varner in the final.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
My history with pool only goes back 15 years or so I cant really comment much on past players but I think Tyler Styer has a beautiful stroke. I have never seen someone get so much draw out of the cue ball while hitting it so softly.

tomatoshooter

I got to see Mizerak play a lot because he was local back in the day, and yes, his stroke was "smooth
I told Buddy once if we could put his stroke on a snooker cue, it could win a world title….….
……he said “Don’t forget the Miz.”
Mizerak, best bridge I ever saw. His stroke was as smooth as liquid smoke.
Yeah, Mizerak played a beautiful game of pool.

Has anyone mentioned Rafael Martinez yet? If I haven't mentioned him already, I think he's worth looking at. His stroke didn't have the same smooth fluidity as Mizerak but the first time I saw either of them on video, their strokes just looked straighter than anyone else's.

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fedor Gorst, even with his elbow drop. Beautiful and accurate stroke.
Aranas has a nice stroke slip . Always finesses the cue ball.
All the Taiwanese great today have great stroke.All of them.
Gorst's cue stays as level as humanly possible, at least imho, and that has to lead to unbeatable accuracy. But Efren is the GOAT forever.

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
US players:
Funniest stroke: tied between mike davis and keith mccready
best stroke: alex pagulyan

international: neijs feljin (sp?) or efren reyes
I've tried imitating Davis' stroke with decent results. The locked arm and forearm could help some people.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reading Dr Dave elbow drop thread. With some debate going on, got me thinking about what is considered the best stroke or the most perfect cue action. I think this is very subjective.
For me, in my eyes, Efren had the best cue action. I find him fascinating to watch. It was those early 90s. I Never seen anybody since, who made the game look so easy.

I know guys today, focus so much on technique. With fedor gorst and filler being at the top of the list.
I could include snooker players into this. But I would like to, keep this just to the pool disciplines.

What do you guys consider, the players with the best stroke /cue action you have seen?
Me

Reactions: bbb

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those of you who never saw Cisero Murphy play, here is a video of him playing in the US Open 14.1 in 1992, sadly past his prime. He only gets to 26 but there are several good shots of his stroke style.

cool. that transition seems decel proof

Rusty Dutch

I was going to name some old players that no one had ever actually seen play, but I see that’s been done.

I’d suggest Albin Ouschan. Perhaps he’s not the greatest player to have ever held a cue, but his stroke is excellent and incredibly smooth & consistent.

In snooker it’s worth watching Mark Williams. He can shoot with his eyes closed half the time.

Flakeandrun

I was going to name some old players that no one had ever actually seen play, but I see that’s been done.
I am constantly amazed by how someone of Mizerak's size could play with any kind of consistency.
I play with a large chap who is a great player. He takes on a similar 'carom-esque' style, that really shouldn't give the level of consistency he has. I guess this is just muscle memory and hand eye coordination. 'Natural talent' for want of better description.
I’d suggest Albin Ouschan. Perhaps he’s not the greatest player to have ever held a cue, but his stroke is excellent and incredibly smooth & consistent.

In snooker it’s worth watching Mark Williams. He can shoot with his eyes closed half the time.
Mentioning Mark Williams helped me understand that this was not a post about 'the perfect mechanical stroke' but about who is a consistent player.
Williams doesn't exactly have an aesthetic, mechanically perfect or fluid stroke, but it gets the job done in all manner of circumstances.