The Ideal Relationship between Promoters and Players

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Promoters have responsibilities to maximize prize fund, make match schedules convenient and provide reliable tournament rules and conditions.

Players have responsibilities to play matches at scheduled times and maintain proper attire.

How can such a simple relationship be strained so easily?

Do players need to self organize their disagreements with promoters?

Promoters should clearly state prize funds and conditions due to the literacy level of players.

Do promoters need to make it easier for players to learn their match times and tables, are courtesy calls needed?

Promoters can't expect players to follow through with certain behavior. If promoters want something it should be clearly explained repeatedly before an event starts.

Players can't expect promoters to deliver because promoters organize so many moving parts, but they can provide input on what is successful and what isn't. Its is their responsibility to learn different situations that come up and ask for prepared answers.

It feels like both sides have great ideas, but no one is willing to discuss them.
 
Take it the Person

The only thing I will say here is that Pool has a bad enough black eye as it is. When a promoter has a huge job they have to do and something gets screwed up, why not take it to the promoter and leave it off the public forum. I think the promoters who are willing to do what they can for pool need the benefit of a doubt. All the public trashing of a promoter does nothing to encourage them to do other events.
 
The only thing I will say here is that Pool has a bad enough black eye as it is. When a promoter has a huge job they have to do and something gets screwed up, why not take it to the promoter and leave it off the public forum. I think the promoters who are willing to do what they can for pool need the benefit of a doubt. All the public trashing of a promoter does nothing to encourage them to do other events.

Public thrashing occurs when people feel like they can't talk to the promoter.

What did the promoter do to help a confused person understand a clearly stated policy?

Promoters do a lot of work and to deal with player personalities add a lot more effort to their task list.

The question that is important is how can promoters give players a chance to provide feedback or input when confusion arises.

Tournaments aren't always comfortable environments. Being confused in a tournament about what is happening, is emotionally overwhelming. Most people aren't good at dealing with emotions. Players are liable for actions but promoters know this issue comes up and aren't prepared to deal with it.
 
The only thing I will say here is that Pool has a bad enough black eye as it is. When a promoter has a huge job they have to do and something gets screwed up, why not take it to the promoter and leave it off the public forum. I think the promoters who are willing to do what they can for pool need the benefit of a doubt. All the public trashing of a promoter does nothing to encourage them to do other events.

I disagree. I think when people see how awfully some of these events are run it inspires others to realize they can do better. I am much more likely to try to run events someday knowing I could make improvements.

Of course, the current TD might not want to run the event again, but that looks like it is a good thing.
 
I disagree. I think when people see how awfully some of these events are run it inspires others to realize they can do better. I am much more likely to try to run events someday knowing I could make improvements.

Of course, the current TD might not want to run the event again, but that looks like it is a good thing.

Its a fault if they make the same mistake more than a few times.

No one is perfect the first few tries. How they respond to mistakes that are pointed out is personality? But would they want to do it again, reveals character.
 
Public thrashing occurs when people feel like they can't talk to the promoter.

What did the promoter do to help a confused person understand a clearly stated policy?

Promoters do a lot of work and to deal with player personalities add a lot more effort to their task list.

The question that is important is how can promoters give players a chance to provide feedback or input when confusion arises.

Tournaments aren't always comfortable environments. Being confused in a tournament about what is happening, is emotionally overwhelming. Most people aren't good at dealing with emotions. Players are liable for actions but promoters know this issue comes up and aren't prepared to deal with it.
Promoters promote , thier salesman , they have a lets say like Liam a special set of skills to draw in venues players sponsors and spectators it's a talent dervived of natural ability and experience , pool simply has no sell to someone capable of doing such ,and the product lacks in so many ways the first being it has no unity it's every man for themselves , until they unite and create a unified front they really have no shot to make pool any better than it is

1
 
Last edited:
Back
Top