The level of your game....

ragbug74

Next NYTimes Best-Seller!
Silver Member
Sarah,

I just wanted to ask you your opinion of "your game" over the past year or two. I know you've taken on a full-time job for health insurance reasons. You've mentioned this has cut into your play/practice time. In spite of this, your game seems to continue to progress and you've had a number of big match wins, as well as some pretty high finishes. Do you attribute this continued betterment of your game to your game progressing as it has in the time prior to your taking a job, or do you think that you now feel you need to "take full advantage" of your practice/play time and you now focus better when you are playing? Most people say "if I could practice xxx hours a day, my game could be so much better", but it seems as your available playing time has decreased, your game has continued to come along. I was wondering what you think? Do you consciously tell yourself "I only have so much time, I better take double-advantage of it" or does it not cross your mind during the heat of battle?

Hope all is well and a late happy birthday! Hope to see you at the DCC in January again!

Mark

sarahrousey

pro player
Silver Member
Good question Mark. I'm honestly not sure what is going on! Okay, now for the honest answer. For many years, when I was only playing pool, I completely took it for granted. The ability to practice all the time, do whatever I want, go wherever I want, I didn't take advantage of it when I had the chance. Now that I don't have that opportunity I've realized that playing pool is exactly what I want to do. Since I don't have much time to play or practice I just try to make the best of it. Kind of like you were saying, make the most out of a little.

When I go to tournaments I feel like I'm there to win but I'm also there to do my best. Before I went to a tournament to have fun and lower expectations. Now I have a goal to prove people wrong whether it be myself, my family, or just people that think I'm never going to make it. When I'm in a match, sometimes it does run through my head when I miss a ball or make silly mistakes that I probably wouldn't do that if I practiced those things more. I just have to bear down harder when that starts to happen and realize that sometimes, I actually know what I'm doing and just have to think positive.

Hope that answers the question and yes, I will definitely see you at DCC in January. I hope you are doing well.

Sarah

ragbug74

Next NYTimes Best-Seller!
Silver Member
Sarah,

Thanks for the interesting reply. Obviously, you "know" the game and can make the shots. It sounds like you're now focusing more on the mental side of the game, which I believe is the difference between a "good" player and a "pro". Many people can play the game and make the shots, but those that have the confidence in their skills and abilities are the better players over the long run and in pressure situations. Maybe less time at the table at this point in your career will be beneficial to your game, thus allowing you to become stronger mentally instead of just working on the physical side of your game.

Any talk of any type of ladies all-around challenge at the DCC again this year? It was fun to watch you and Monica battle it out. I think you and AnnaK would be a good matchup.