The pressure of playing a different game

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am mainly a 9 ball player and love 10-ball. I don't play 8 ball anymore and I'm not a fan of it but I respect the strategy that comes out of it. I love 14.1 and I have played quite often (mostly by myself though). I have never played 1-pocket but I know I will and I have played rotation and banks on very rare occasions.

Tonight I played Straight pool for the first time (the one where you literally align the balls in a straight line) and oh boy did I feel the pressure. I was missing hangers and balls I feel I could I have played lefty on any other game, I looked like I just started how to play pool.

While I know its somewhat normal to feel disoriented when playing a new game and missing easy shots because our brain is focusing on learning and applying the logic of the game instead of the shot at hand.

How do you handle that pressure of being in a new environment and still trying to play like you always played that game but....epic fail?

Have you ever experienced something similar?
 
Ive heard that game called line-up.

I know what you mean,playing 14-1 for the first time I got sorta keyed up about the the break ball and break shot between racks.Its easy to lose focus and screw up on every rack.
 
I can't say I really know what you're talking about. The first time I played 1 pocket, I beat someone who's been playing it for decades. I don't think I really feel any pressure related to playing a new game. After I learn the rules and basic concept, it's basically just "get to work". There are definitely games I'm better at than others, and games I play a lot more often than others. I'm decent at 9 ball, and not so good at 14.1, but I don't feel any pressure from those facts when I do play 14.1, I just give it my best and try to improve.

That being said, everything changes when the action gets started. Weird things can happen when the money comes out.
 
Reply to Jimbojim

I am mainly a 9 ball player and love 10-ball. I don't play 8 ball anymore and I'm not a fan of it but I respect the strategy that comes out of it. I love 14.1 and I have played quite often (mostly by myself though). I have never played 1-pocket but I know I will and I have played rotation and banks on very rare occasions.

Tonight I played Straight pool for the first time (the one where you literally align the balls in a straight line) and oh boy did I feel the pressure. I was missing hangers and balls I feel I could I have played lefty on any other game, I looked like I just started how to play pool.

While I know its somewhat normal to feel disoriented when playing a new game and missing easy shots because our brain is focusing on learning and applying the logic of the game instead of the shot at hand.

How do you handle that pressure of being in a new environment and still trying to play like you always played that game but....epic fail?

Have you ever experienced something similar?

Jimbojim,

I understand exactly what you are talking about. Ive been lucky enough to have a friend who is an awesome banker and playing bank pool has been something Ive learned to do but I hadnt been a big one pocket player until about 6/8 months ago.
The moves in one pocket and the cue ball control are different than anything Ive ever played. If you can make a good one hole player then youve learned something and the rest of the games open for you as well.
Ive not played a whole lot of 14.1 but ive played enough to realize that some of the keys to it are breaking balls up in order to get out but I wasnt a really good 14.1 player because I hadnt learned cue ball travel paths as well I needed to. One pocket made me learn how to nudge balls apart, put balls in traps that were locktight safe. I was already a good banker but the one pocket banks are purer and bank pool banks because youre using pocketspeed more than smack in speed.
One hole is a really nice game to make you have to do things, now Im ready to go back to 14.1 and get some more lessons.

336Robin :thumbup: http://274928807619529663.weebly.com/
aimisthgameinpool@yahoo.com
 
Jimbojim,

I understand exactly what you are talking about. Ive been lucky enough to have a friend who is an awesome banker and playing bank pool has been something Ive learned to do but I hadnt been a big one pocket player until about 6/8 months ago.
The moves in one pocket and the cue ball control are different than anything Ive ever played. If you can make a good one hole player then youve learned something and the rest of the games open for you as well.
Ive not played a whole lot of 14.1 but ive played enough to realize that some of the keys to it are breaking balls up in order to get out but I wasnt a really good 14.1 player because I hadnt learned cue ball travel paths as well I needed to. One pocket made me learn how to nudge balls apart, put balls in traps that were locktight safe. I was already a good banker but the one pocket banks are purer and bank pool banks because youre using pocketspeed more than smack in speed.
One hole is a really nice game to make you have to do things, now Im ready to go back to 14.1 and get some more lessons.

336Robin :thumbup: http://274928807619529663.weebly.com/
aimisthgameinpool@yahoo.com

I'm really gonne give 1P an honest try...when I find a player that wants to play it.:grin:
 
I'm really gonne give 1P an honest try...when I find a player that wants to play it.:grin:

Yeah that can be an issue, I drive 40minutes to get regular One Pocket Games where its popular, here lately I dont get to do that every week.

336Robin :thumbup:
 
Back
Top