The Sardo Rack

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never got a chance to use one of these but someone told me that they gave as good a rack of 9 ball they've ever played. My question is, how did the Sardo racking compared to the template racks people use today? Are they about the same or does one rack tighter than the other?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I was give a SARDO, it was heavy, it was cumbersome, and it was pain to carry around.

IMHO it worked as advertised, no 🐂💩.

skiergd011013

i remember those days. Mitch lawrence and dawn hopkins in the comment booth, pool on espn, and the sardo tight rack. I like the standard, wooden rack. I dont like plastic ones, and I dont like the templates. i guess im old school.

mrpiper

Registered
The most consistent rack is a template. There is no exception to that I have found. I really like my wood rack, and have used a metal Delta Elite rack which I think is the best physical rack available, but the template REMAINS on the table to HOLD the balls in place. The down side to the templates is that you can be distracted looking for / waiting for the opportunity to remove it when balls have cleared it.

Sardo was / is a gimmick IMHO If you own and love it that's fine, but it offers no unique magic.

skiergd011013

The most consistent rack is a template. There is no exception to that I have found. I really like my wood rack, and have used a metal Delta Elite rack which I think is the best physical rack available, but the template REMAINS on the table to HOLD the balls in place. The down side to the templates is that you can be distracted looking for / waiting for the opportunity to remove it when balls have cleared it.

Sardo was / is a gimmick IMHO If you own and love it that's fine, but it offers no unique magic.
but then again, with the template, when balls roll over it, they can do a full on wobble and change course. The most hilarious complaining about the templates I have ever heard was jimmy matayas commentary in the andy mercer memorial tournament, which is on youtube. He said the magic rack would only be "magic" if it worked, and it is the only rack that can cost you the game due to balls hitting it and changing direction, and belongs in the trash can. He complains about it the whole match but one of the best is timestamp 14:35:LOL:

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
but then again, with the template, when balls roll over it, they can do a full on wobble and change course. The most hilarious complaining about the templates I have ever heard was jimmy matayas commentary in the andy mercer memorial tournament, which is on youtube. He said the magic rack would only be "magic" if it worked, and it is the only rack that can cost you the game due to balls hitting it and changing direction, and belongs in the trash can. He complains about it the whole match but one of the best is timestamp 14:35:LOL:
😂
He really doesn't pull any punches!

MR can cause roll off. Best to remove it directly after the break. The Outsville is much thinner and very rarely causes a roll off even when left on the table. I still remove it directly after the break. If you win or lose a game off the break you should be able to control the CB better so it never goes over the rack on break.

Both players are using the same equipment and at that level they should know how to avoid slow rolling the CB over the rack area on break. Control everything or practice until you can. It did roll off but let's be real, that didn't change anything about how that rack will be played out.

This game is layers upon layers. o_O

skiergd011013

😂
He really doesn't pull any punches!

MR can cause roll off. Best to remove it directly after the break. The Outsville is much thinner and very rarely causes a roll off even when left on the table. I still remove it directly after the break. If you win or lose a game off the break you should be able to control the CB better so it never goes over the rack on break.

Both players are using the same equipment and at that level they should know how to avoid slow rolling the CB over the rack area on break. Control everything or practice until you can. It did roll off but let's be real, that didn't change anything about how that rack will be played out.

This game is layers upon layers. o_O
there are more rants in that video about the rack. That is just the one i could find quickly:LOL:

mrpiper

Registered
This is why I mentioned the distraction of getting the template off of the table. I own the Outsville rack, and while better, it DOES still cause roll if a slow moving ball hits it. Also Outsville leaves color marks on the balls. They told me it doesn't and I had one from a bad batch and promised to send me a replacement of the FULL SET including their "cloth saver" patches (which REALLY leave color marks on the cue ball that are difficult to clean off). That was about 2 years ago. Never heard another word, even after several attempts and messages left. Awful customer service. Wouldn't buy from them again. For me at least they are not Outsville, they are Out a here.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never got a chance to use one of these but someone told me that they gave as good a rack of 9 ball they've ever played. My question is, how did the Sardo racking compared to the template racks people use today? Are they about the same or does one rack tighter than the other?
they sucked.

skiergd011013

This is why I mentioned the distraction of getting the template off of the table. I own the Outsville rack, and while better, it DOES still cause roll if a slow moving ball hits it. Also Outsville leaves color marks on the balls. They told me it doesn't and I had one from a bad batch and promised to send me a replacement of the FULL SET including their "cloth saver" patches (which REALLY leave color marks on the cue ball that are difficult to clean off). That was about 2 years ago. Never heard another word, even after several attempts and messages left. Awful customer service. Wouldn't buy from them again. For me at least they are not Outsville, they are Out a here.
Im surprised you have had bad service from them. I use their ki-tech tip and hammerhead tip, and have spoken to them on the phone several times, im assuming the man who answers is chris renfro. I called him as recently as a few days ago. Always nice and helpful. Maybe they have improved since your negative experience.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I had one when i was a teen, most likely from all pool on espn

a good wood, plastic, or metal rack is still the best and most fast.

hate the templates too. take too long, cause issues when balls roll over them, a pain to sit on the rail then constantly move.

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I have a Predator Aerorack and love it. Tight racks, very fast, easy to remove. Highly recommended but a little pricey.

1668545264489.png