The sound of ivory

sad_clown0306

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am curious about the following.

With an ivory installed ferrell on the shaft there is this high pitched sound on every shot.

What about the sound on ivory substitute material ???
I think its called ivorine or elforyn. Has somebody experience with the sound compared to real ivory ???

very curious about that
thanks

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
IMO elforyn has a soft sound. Iv4 is hard and pingy. I use elforyn ferrules for most of my shafts except for the customer that wants an all around breaking and playing stick. I prefer not to use an elforyn ferrule to break with. Iv3 is also a nice ferrule material, but I just don't install many, so I give no opinion of it. 'Hit' and sound are very subjective, don't be surprised with lots of different opinons.

My 2 bits,
Alan

dave sutton

Banned
elforyn has a soft quiet hit. iv4 is hard and pingy as stated about. to me nothing compares to ivory. hit feel sound ect. not too soft not too hard not too quiet not too loud. its perfect for me. ive had quiet ivory ferrules and ive had pingy ivory ferrules. i kindy like the pingy ones. to mee it seems like everything is right and nothing is moving but the ivory. that what makes the ping sound. nothing bends kinda like a cuetec.

Last edited: