The Worst Rule in Pool

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked about that on the APA Facebook page and they said pushes favor the better players. To me that doesn't make sense, to me pushes favor the lower SL players as the better players are better at kicking and jumping. And even if they were right, doesn't everything favor better players? I mean, that's what better means.

My argument for the push rule will always be:

What if two players are playing with Vegas on the line and each needs one point. Player breaks dry and hooks the other player badly...
How fair is that you could cost your team a shot at Vegas because you couldn't make a hit? At least with a push out it would give players a fighting chance.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure where you are going with this comment. Are you referring to that particular incident or me losing respect for the APA?

Ill spell it out. You are not telling the whole story. If you friend was breaking hard enough to result in a legal break, made a ball or 4 balls hittng a rail, nothing would have been said. All you have to say is "this IS as hard as I can break with control". Hitting the second ball in the rack requires to be close to the side rail. At that angle the cue has to be jacked up a little more, which results in the cue ball jumping slightly. You have to hit a little softer to keep the cue ball on the table. The referees at the nationals are NOT stupid! They know this. Your teammate was probably very obviously breaking too soft to comply with the rules.
He got caught.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like this rule because it makes safety play a bigger part of the game. A locked down safety can be a thing of beauty.
9 ball was NEVER ment to be a game of safes! It was a shooting game. If you want to duck , play 1 pkt. You can duck every shot! But of course, you will lose.
I agree Joe T. Texas Express made that rule, again, to SPEED UP PLAY, Not to make the game better!
PUSHOUT FOREVER!!

tony frank

THE TRAPPER
Silver Member
OL TIMER says. Pushout OK BIH behind the string OK Mark the pocket - totally contrary to the essence of the game / games. If you've never been in the ZONE or know what it mean - you are not and never will be a true master.

YOOOOO Truth or consequence !

Igetthecash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
call pocket is good rule. how do u like it when someone smashes a ball and slops it in and runs out. So the slop rule is a bad rule maybe the worst.

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
call pocket is good rule. how do u like it when someone smashes a ball and slops it in and runs out. So the slop rule is a bad rule maybe the worst.
I'm not an advocate for allowing slop shots to count, but I'd be willing to bet that there is a very low percentage where a slop shot has changed the outcome of a match.

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
My beef is the "3 fouls = loss of game" rule in Texas Express 9 ball. It turns the game
around from a race to shoot in the 9-ball to using ball-in-hand to cause your opponent to continue to foul for 2 more times, thus winning without making the 9.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not an advocate for allowing slop shots to count, but I'd be willing to bet that there is a very low percentage where a slop shot has changed the outcome of a match.

Correct
Top pros seldom slop. Which is why saying that 10 ball is tougher than 9 ball cos it is call pocket isn't a strong argument. For the bar table newbies yes call pocket makes a difference.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Played Amaerican Rotation tonight for the first time... I have NO problems in shooting after not making a ball on the break in it since that was how the game was intended to be played from the start.... Great game btw... Look it up on Youtube.......

Chris

gatorchad

Registered
Ill spell it out. You are not telling the whole story. If you friend was breaking hard enough to result in a legal break, made a ball or 4 balls hittng a rail, nothing would have been said. All you have to say is "this IS as hard as I can break with control". Hitting the second ball in the rack requires to be close to the side rail. At that angle the cue has to be jacked up a little more, which results in the cue ball jumping slightly. You have to hit a little softer to keep the cue ball on the table. The referees at the nationals are NOT stupid! They know this. Your teammate was probably very obviously breaking too soft to comply with the rules.
He got caught.

Actually all of his breaks DID comply with the 4 balls to a rail, or pocketed ball rules.

Look at the rule as posted in response #63. “Breaking just hard enough to comply with this rule is not a guarantee against penalties”. The APA has clearly given themselves the power to “say something” in this specific scenario. I don’t remember if that was part of the rules at that time…. Maybe they added it because of me! LOL :D

tony frank

THE TRAPPER
Silver Member
Mark the pocket - a filthy shark move that only the lowest use - probably in most of their lives activities. To deliberately break someone's concentration, planning, thinking, stroking is diabolical and - ALL should refuse to honor this en mass. Same for BIH anywhere. OH back in the old days ----- A deliberate safe could get you a busted nose or worse. Like shoot your ball in and call it safe WTF Check out 3 cushion rules !!!!!

I'm not sure what to do about the bar evil, of loosing any and all balls for good when pocketed. Perhaps have extras to replace for the fouls / mistakes ? ALSO way back when - the bar owners were more then happy to get two bits per game for the massive amount of business the inherited. TODAY AT $3 to $4 bucks for a stinking beer worth .50c or less today they should be freeeeeeeeeeee. pool Especially at legue time !!!!

The TRAPPER always gets the pelts. LOL