These are some tips for those who struggle to put together runs

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My own Straight Pool game is pretty much built around the fact that I'm a mediocre (at best) shotmaker (or at least, that I firmly believe so), with the result that I won't take anything lightly, and try to keep things as simple as I can at all times. I do feel my position play is reasonable, however, so I'm more prepared to take a risk shooting an easier shot and trust in my ability to "get there", if not immediately, then in time. It doesn't always work out, but on the whole, the attitude results in fewer misses. I'm convinced that the long-term idea is what counts: try to shoot the easiest shot there is at all times, i.e. make all else follow suit.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti
I can’t agree either. Of course we all like to shoot the shot with the highest make percentage, but it’s just not that simple. In order to have a far better chance of continuing the run more than another few balls, sometimes we have to choose to shoot a harder shot particularly in a situation where the easier shot is a dead end shot that most likely will end up leaving an extremely hard shot to shoot next.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 issues that frequently end MY runs:
1. I LOVE to gamble, and sometimes cannot suppress the temptation to break the pack, not really knowing where balls will end up.
2. Refusal to accept that the laws of physics won’t be suspended, just because I need them to be.
3. Not adhering to the ‘insurance ball’ principle when planning the run pattern early in the rack.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If , after your full rack break shots, the balls are fairly scattered and you do not see a good break ball candidate for the next rack, do everything you can EARLY in the rack to get a ball into break ball position for the next rack- watch Thorsten Hohmann- he will try as many times as possible early in a scattered rack to move balls into break ball position.

Once you get a ball or two into break ball position- you need to identify the balls to be left on the table to form the pattern to the key ball and break ball. If you are not doing this, you are just relying on luck to get into the next rack- 14.1 doesn't work that way. Every ball in 14.1, once the rack is open; has a reason to be taken off the table or be left on the table for the end pattern.

Adjustments will be needed at times- many times- that is where the speed control and position play ability becomes critical. You may need to open up your table view to incorporate multiple rail positions and alternate pocket choices for balls leading to the break ball.

I think that Hohmann executes open table 14.1 management better than any living player- watch his many 14.1 videos to learn.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If , after your full rack break shots, the balls are fairly scattered and you do not see a good break ball candidate for the next rack, do everything you can EARLY in the rack to get a ball into break ball position for the next rack- watch Thorsten Hohmann- he will try as many times as possible early in a scattered rack to move balls into break ball position.

Once you get a ball or two into break ball position- you need to identify the balls to be left on the table to form the pattern to the key ball and break ball. If you are not doing this, you are just relying on luck to get into the next rack- 14.1 doesn't work that way. Every ball in 14.1, once the rack is open; has a reason to be taken off the table or be left on the table for the end pattern.

Adjustments will be needed at times- many times- that is where the speed control and position play ability becomes critical. You may need to open up your table view to incorporate multiple rail positions and alternate pocket choices for balls leading to the break ball.

I think that Hohmann executes open table 14.1 management better than any living player- watch his many 14.1 videos to learn.
We all love to string together 14.1 racks, but most of us amateur 14.1 players that rarely run more than 30 balls, would be wise to just focus on making as many balls as possible when we have an open rack.

Our goal should be to try to end our inning with as few as possible balls left on the table, no ideal break ball and preferably after a successful safety, leaving our opponent a very tough shot.

With this game plan, one can play a very formidable level of 14.1 even if they rarely run more than 14 balls.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We all love to string together 14.1 racks, but most of us amateur 14.1 players that rarely run more than 30 balls, would be wise to just focus on making as many balls as possible when we have an open rack.

Our goal should be to try to end our inning with as few as possible balls left on the table, no ideal break ball and preferably after a successful safety, leaving our opponent a very tough shot.

With this game plan, one can play a very formidable level of 14.1 even if they rarely run more than 14 balls.
Well now, I guess if one is satisfied with that level of 14.1 play - no problem then. However, 14.1 is such a beautiful game in terms of how the flow can move from rack to rack when played correctly. My suggestions above are simple parameters when playing the game that allow one to see beyond just the pocketing of balls- to me, the whole joy of 14.1 is managing the puzzle each rack presents and solving it to continue the run.

I do not find running 14 balls off a table very challenging, even with some problems along the way- but I do find choosing the correct order of taking those 14 balls off the table the key to the puzzle - and the precise position play required to get "on" each break ball very challenging - the essence of 14.1 success is visualization, execution, and control - once you get to the point that actually pocketing the balls is the least of your concerns- you are well on your way to some consistent high runs.

jondrums

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well now, I guess if one is satisfied with that level of 14.1 play - no problem then. However, 14.1 is such a beautiful game in terms of how the flow can move from rack to rack when played correctly. My suggestions above are simple parameters when playing the game that allow one to see beyond just the pocketing of balls- to me, the whole joy of 14.1 is managing the puzzle each rack presents and solving it to continue the run.
I like the contrast of these two comments. Might I suggest following Chris' advice in a game, while following Mike's advice in practice sessions?

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Back in the late 60s, when I was still just learning the game, I regularly played a guy who was better & had higher runs (he knew how to play position...I didn’t), but, I was the better shot maker and often won. When I missed, he was usually left with such a difficult shot, he would then miss & sell out.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I like the contrast of these two comments. Might I suggest following Chris' advice in a game, while following Mike's advice in practice sessions?
When I’m practicing by myself of course I try to run as many as I can and when I miss I start over with a break shot. Unfortunately in our room there are virtually no 14.1 players. The one guy who really likes to play is not that good - not capable of running more than 15 balls.

To make it interesting, when I play him, I spot him 70 balls going to 100. As a result, I have to play a very conservative style of play, minimizing my errors and generally ending virtually all of my runs/innings with a successful safety .

As a result, I may rarely run more than two racks, but I might play the entire game playing numerous safeties and only missing a few shots (.970 - .980) shooting percentage, where my opponent gets to the table with a relatively high percentage shot no more than 2-3 times, if at all.

For instance, the game may last 40 innings, which would give me an average balls made per inning of no more than 2.5, but I may have ended those innings with a successful safety in 37 or 38 of those innings, with only 2-3 missed shots. For myself, I would consider that as a strategically well played game, regardless of what my balls per inning average might have been.

The other huge advantage to this kind of strategy is that this conservative play will often completely frustrate and stifle your opponent from ever having a chance of getting in stroke, unless they are able to take full advantage of their very few opportunities.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When I’m practicing by myself of course I try to run as many as I can and when I miss I start over with a break shot. Unfortunately in our room there are virtually no 14.1 players. The one guy who really likes to play is not that good - not capable of running more than 15 balls.

To make it interesting, when I play him, I spot him 70 balls going to 100. As a result, I have to play a very conservative style of play, minimizing my errors and generally ending virtually all of my runs/innings with a successful safety .

As a result, I may rarely run more than two racks, but I might play the entire game playing numerous safeties and only missing a few shots (.970 - .980) shooting percentage, where my opponent gets to the table with a relatively high percentage shot no more than 2-3 times.

For instance, the game may last 33 innings, which would give me an average balls made per inning of no more than 3, but I may have ended those innings with a successful safety in 30 of those 33 innings, with only 3 missed shots. For myself, I would consider that as a strategically well played game, regardless of what my balls per inning average might have been.
Yes, Agreed! I do the same as you when playing alone- will re- rack after a miss unless the resulting layout looks like a good starting point to practice getting to a break ball - I have started some long runs after a mid rack miss- of course in competition- those runs would belong to my opponent if they are capable.