Thing of beaty from Accustats and GOAT!

middleofnowhere

Registered
Efren found a sponsor in 1979 and made his first trip abroad to Japan, where he won $3,000 hustling and playing in tournaments. Six years later he made his first trip to America. Playing under the pseudonym "Cesar Morales" he played in, and won the 1985 Red 9-Ball Open in Houston, Texas, which netted him a few thousand dollars. Then over the next three weeks, and in five different states, playing big money against all comers, Efren won $81,000. But he never saw his promised 50% share. His financier stole the money.

In 1986, he returned to America at the invitation of another financier, a Filipino from Chicago. This man also cheated Efren. In 1987, he had another financier, but they did not get along. In 1988, Efren was financed by an American named Archibald Mitchell. This time Efren finally made money. It was about this time that Efren teamed up with long-time friend -- and very capable interpreter -- Rolando Vicente, his manager of many years..

Arnaldo ~ Reyesophile, Mosconiophile & longtime Arnaldophile
I think I he won more than a few thousand. I think first prize was around $10,000 and the Calcutta was enormous probably $40,000 or more. Efren didn't show his face at the auction and he sold to one of his buddies for $100.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was that Efren or Ceasar Morales at that time??
He was Efren, he showed up with Parika at the Sands tourney. Out side the tourney room there was a GC with full pockets 4.75” maybe. They were barn doors. New cloth so everything would slide into the pocket for sure.

I just happened to walk up when it started. They made a prop bet they could run a rack of rotation from the break lay them 3/2. I was thinking-man these guys must be mad at their money or something else is going on. Seemed off base as a prop bet to me. At the time I might have had $120 in my pocket-maybe. So no action for me, but I’ll watch.

Someone-wish I could remember who(I remember was a solid player) put 3 green chips on the rail, either Efren of Jose put up 2 chips. A stack of 5 chips total. I can’t recall who went first, or if they won or lost that rack.

What I vividly remember is they were running racks of rotation like water on that table and in a hour lost all their action and won lots of money. I also remember that clearly Efren was the better of the 2 players. I saw talent like I’d never seen, I was a B- player then at best. But had spent lots of time on the rail sweating pool. Wow. They were stealing.

I have a couple more Efren story’s from 89ish & 2013 I’ll write up later today or tmr. He’s special. Maybe not the greatest 9B player but I believe the most creative player ever. As we all know he’s special!

best
Fatboy

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that had to do with the Calcutta because when he showed up people seem to know who he was. It was just funny that after the tournament they still had him on the front of the national billiard news as Ceasar Morales
Word had definitely gotten out -- because a dazzled spectator had asked "Cesar" (that's the spelling he was entered under, not Ceasar) and in the excitement and confusion with signature-seeking fans, he blew his cover by signing his real name, "Efren Reyes". The Morales ruse was designed to make opponents think he was a moderately-experienced player from south of the Texas border.

Arnaldo

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Efren found a sponsor in 1979 and made his first trip abroad to Japan, where he won $3,000 hustling and playing in tournaments. Six years later he made his first trip to America. Playing under the pseudonym "Cesar Morales" he played in, and won the 1985 Red 9-Ball Open in Houston, Texas, which netted him a few thousand dollars. Then over the next three weeks, and in five different states, playing big money against all comers, Efren won $81,000. But he never saw his promised 50% share. His financier stole the money.

In 1986, he returned to America at the invitation of another financier, a Filipino from Chicago. This man also cheated Efren. In 1987, he had another financier, but they did not get along. In 1988, Efren was financed by an American named Archibald Mitchell. This time Efren finally made money. It was about this time that Efren teamed up with long-time friend -- and very capable interpreter -- Rolando Vicente, his manager of many years..

Arnaldo ~ Reyesophile, Mosconiophile & longtime Arnaldophile
What I don't understand is why Efren plays a 2nd money match if he doesn't get paid from the first one. Efren had all the power here, if he elects not to play his backers don't make money. I'm sure its a little more complicated than that but he must have had some "pocket change" that he could have turned into a little extra money if need be.

middleofnowhere

Registered
What I don't understand is why Efren plays a 2nd money match if he doesn't get paid from the first one. Efren had all the power here, if he elects not to play his backers don't make money. I'm sure its a little more complicated than that but he must have had some "pocket change" that he could have turned into a little extra money if need be.
I don't know, you may have forgotten about this:

MANILA, Philippines - Two men who posed as personnel of the cargo and courier services firm LBC shot dead a billiard cue maker in his own house in Quezon City Saturday. Edwin Reyes, 51, of Barangay Masagana in Project 4, died of two gunshot wounds in the chest.Apr 20, 2009.

I'm not using the term MAFIA but I have a feeling the guys he was involved with putting up money were not people he was going to be making demands of.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's actually quite easy to understand and not really more complicated when you're made aware that there's a very wide spectrum of player-to-backer (financier) impromptu verbal agreements.

The con "agreement" that his financier set up with innocent Efren (via primitive translation), was unquestionably the not-uncommon, but very dangerous one where the crooked backer's believable pitch -- to a talented fish-out-of-water -- is: "I'm going to hold all the cash -- till the end -- on this road trip, as we take on all comers; that way we can take on any amount and size of bets against you . . . and you only have focus on beating the guy(s) while I handle the negotiations and showing the ante for each match we set up. We're gonna make a bundle together, kid."

The lesson cost Efren over $40,000. What's he gonna do -- call a cop?
Happened to Parica a few times as well. But Jose got commendably cynical and wary quicker than Efren after that.

Arnaldo

middleofnowhere

Registered
Yeah, Jimmy ran into a freight train that day
It almost goes unnoticed that he started that run of racks with half masse you don't often see anymore. He runs one rack using a billiard on a ball and then a kiss shot. Later a combo.

At first look it is like, well those were easy racks and he got good breaks. He just makes the difficult look easy.

In the mid 80s he came to my pool room with Mike LeBron. They played a friend of mine giving him the called 6, 7and the wild 8 for $5,000. I think because he was with LeBron, who was a bit conservative, they played a race to 25.

Efren beat him 25 to 21 and at one point Efren missed a ball and tapped himself in the head with the cue laughing and it made everybody laugh. It was honest to God the only ball he missed all night.

The nonchalant why he shoots combos and I'm not talking hangers, balls well apart always amazed me. He had/has tools in his toolbox that other players just quite honestly did not have, thus the name the "Magician".

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know, you may have forgotten about this:

MANILA, Philippines - Two men who posed as personnel of the cargo and courier services firm LBC shot dead a billiard cue maker in his own house in Quezon City Saturday. Edwin Reyes, 51, of Barangay Masagana in Project 4, died of two gunshot wounds in the chest.Apr 20, 2009.

I'm not using the term MAFIA but I have a feeling the guys he was involved with putting up money were not people he was going to be making demands of.
I knew Edwin, he was talking WAY too much here about the wrong people. I told him in private to “let it go” he didn’t. Ended tragically. Very sad. I won’t say more as those guys play for keeps and I’m not interested.

respectfully
Fatboy