This Might be AZers' Next DIY Project $100

Neat!

I want to do a lathe that is human powered. I have a ton of bike parts around, with the gears available (53x11), I could surely spin a shaft fast enough to do tips...If only I cared:o
 
I know you can just use a cordless drill, a piece of board, another chuck as layout in DPK Book, Hightower, or information from AZ search. How accuracy are they? Maybe someone can make improvement with the information from this project, as was done with the Ball Polisher.

You might use this vintage DIY Lathe instruction

http://www.vintageprojects.com/machine-shop/lathe-modelling1.pdf

http://www.vintageprojects.com/machine-shop/lathe-modelling2.pdf

http://www.vintageprojects.com/lathe-milling-plans.html
 
Last edited:
Im interested...

I have a ancient buffer wheel unit sitting in my garage that I have considered turning into a makeshift lathe so I can re-do my own tips and re-condition the shaft after I have done a steam ding removal.
 
JoeyA said:
Bob,
Thanks for the links.
That is a pretty cool site and one I haven't been to before.
JoeyA

Thank! I will keep editing the list as I find more interest sites. Like these

http://www.green-trust.org/junkyardprojects/FreeHomeWorkshopPlans/BoltTogetherLathe.pdf

http://www.questoutdoors.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3491

This one might be the one.

http://www.btinternet.com/~two.mm/articles/fonly/fonlypt1b.htm

http://www.btinternet.com/~two.mm/articles/fonly/fonlypt2.htm
 
Last edited:
billiardshot said:
Thank! I will keep editing the list as I find more interest sites.

Here is another :

http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/series/index.html

I built the Gingery Lathe years ago.

See http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=18007 .

It uses aluminum castings, so there are more steps (build foundry, build patterns (about 15 or so), cast patterns, finish castings). However the METHODS that Dave Gingery uses are extremely valuable knowledge for anyone building a lathe.

Dave
 
Back
Top