Tip noise troubleshooting

Facundus Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a guy that came by for me to look at his cue because it was making a pretty loud clack noise when hitting the ball. I inspected it pretty well and could not find anything loose in the ferrules or tip. I suggested that we try a new tip and as soon as i put any pressure to cut the tip off with my knife the old tip just sprung out like a slinky. I installed a new tip and all was good. The old one was some red layered tip that I had never seen. That night I went to the pool room and a friend asked me the same same thing about his cue and went through the same process but found nothing. His tip was a milkdud from Mike Johnson. I assumed that the problem with the first tip I spoke of was a laminated tip delaminating. Anyway I took my friends cue back to the shop and installed an ultraskin and it was fine after that. The milkdud felt pretty solid so I do not really know where that noise came from. Now about 2-3 weeks later this cue has the same symptoms with the ultraskin? Any suggestions as to how I can troubleshoot this issue? Seems too coincidental that the ultraskin would be bad.

Facundus Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I checked the obvious and it sure sounds like it is coming from the tip end but I know that that can be deceiving. What has me stumped is that changed the tip and all was good for a couple of weeks. Maybe it is in the ferrule and messing around putting a tip on pushed it back in place or heated up glue burnishing or something. I cannot imagine that is the case but dang it was fine after that. That stethoscope is pretty pricy and I wonder if I could rig up one of the attachments so I could listen in while the guy is playing with the cue? :)

FLYINGSNAIL

Koo Cues
Silver Member
Diagnosis Equipments

I was thinking if the first equipment link don't work for you. I got these 2 for you :thumbup::D:grin: Hope this help.

THIS ONE MIGHT BE FOR NEWER MODEL:grin:
Diagnosis equiptments.JPG

THIS ONE IS FOR OLDER MODEL FOR SURE:grin:
Diagnosis machine.JPG

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Ok never mind - ferrule it was.

Figured... just had a buddy with the same issue on a used Cog he just got.. Took it to Joe and he took one look at it and said the ferrule was loose. He machined it off and installed a new one with tip. Poifect now :)

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I have a ferrule on a cheapo sneaky that makes a clack noise too, almost like a miscue, almost like the sound of phenolic tip.

I changed it to another type, but nothing changes. Any advice? I don't like the noise but can probably get over it, if needed.

Ageis2 Is what I tried since I don't have any idea which one I like, I'm used to a players cue for the past several yrs.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a ferrule on a cheapo sneaky that makes a clack noise too, almost like a miscue, almost like the sound of phenolic tip.

I changed it to another type, but nothing changes. Any advice? I don't like the noise but can probably get over it, if needed.

Ageis2 Is what I tried since I don't have any idea which one I like, I'm used to a players cue for the past several yrs.
Did you use epoxy or CA glue for the new ferrule? I don’t trust CA for wood to plastic. Is the ferrule screw on or slip on? Lastly, is the tenon damaged? I’ve replaced several tenon/ferrule combinations and found that screwing on both the tenon and ferrule makes for a solid connection. Having said this, many repairmen use slip on ferrules with no problem. Use epoxy for both when attaching; takes longer but you should have a solid connection. Then, if you still have a clacking or clicking sound, the tip did not have a solid glue connection. I’ve removed several tips that had gaps in glue coverage; the customer didn’t know what was causing the sound. New tip, properly prepare, sound eliminated. Also, if layers delaminate, you can get the same problem.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
It was a clear gorilla glue, not 2 part epoxy for the ferrule
It was a slip over ferrule because I have no way to externally thread at this moment.

The previous was threaded and still made the noise.

The ferrule was flat faced and the tip installed the same way I had been installing them by had when I didn't have a way to flat face the ferrule.so I've never done a tip by hand that made the clack sound.

It's the same sound after new ferrule put on as it was before even changing the original tip lol.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
The new ferrule went on good and snug I made sure to cut and measure and try the fit , made small glue v groves. Faced off the excess glue and over hanging ferrule till it cut wood.

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was a clear gorilla glue, not 2 part epoxy for the ferrule
It was a slip over ferrule because I have no way to externally thread at this moment.

The previous was threaded and still made the noise.

The ferrule was flat faced and the tip installed the same way I had been installing them by had when I didn't have a way to flat face the ferrule.so I've never done a tip by hand that made the clack sound.

It's the same sound after new ferrule put on as it was before even changing the original tip lol.
CA Gel will work for ferrules, but 1. has to be gel 2. epoxy is still better. How thick was the clear gorilla glue?
If I'm not mistaken that is still a cyanoacrylate (CA). It needs to be gel mostly for the gap fill. Also, will need to sit sometimes for over an hour to cure.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
It was a thick gel that took several hrs to harden and the bottle said 24 hrs for total cure

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Oooof!
Weight bolt wasn't loose but was not screwed all the way up it could go,
That's was why I thought it couldn't be the bolt,

But last night I was like lemme see, I screwed it all the way up till it stops,

Noisey hit is gone, every noise in the cue is gone,
Weight bolt not secured snug was the thing after all.

So just check it even if your sure that might not be the problem, because it still could be
,dummy!
(Dummy=me)