Tip - what Flavor is everybody using these days

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I had a new Triangle installed about a week ago , Not a very good one. The one that came off was really good. It played excellent were the new one is playing like a dud. I have used Kamui in the past but seemed to miscue alot toward the end of using them tho I will say that once wore down to that last leval it played excellent and really seemed to grab the ball . To me Kamui seemed to play better the more it wore down. But hate paying $35 for a tip , I have been looking at a Tiger Everest as I hear they are decent. What tip have you found to play like it should . I prefer a Medium tip .

PracticeChampion

Ultra skin pro or soft - excellent for me
SIB blue in soft - this tip when fresh seems like you could never use chalk and still wouldn't mis-cue
Both I believe are $3 a piece or close

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$35 for a tip is a non starter.
I go back and forth between triangles and elkmaster.
On a occasion I splurge and get something from SIB. SIB Pros are nice, and the mediums, sometimes I'll get something from Outsville, the ki-techs are excellent, as are the techno duds.

I think, even more important than what tip, is that it is properly installed and properly groomed.

Sent from my motorola one zoom using Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I had a new Triangle installed about a week ago , Not a very good one. The one that came off was really good. It played excellent were the new one is playing like a dud. I have used Kamui in the past but seemed to miscue alot toward the end of using them tho I will say that once wore down to that last leval it played excellent and really seemed to grab the ball . To me Kamui seemed to play better the more it wore down. But hate paying $35 for a tip , I have been looking at a Tiger Everest as I hear they are decent. What tip have you found to play like it should . I prefer a Medium tip .
Ultraskin and Mako. Both fine tips. Thorobred are good as well.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ultraskin fire mediums for me, although I'm really liking the Triangle my latest cue came with. Will probably switch it out to a fire medium sometime though.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Triangles! it’s all good though, no need to get wrapped around the axle over tips. When I’m miscuing it’s just my stroke is flawed.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve become a big fan of Wizard (medium) these days. Inexpensive for quality layered tip, solid hit, and retains its shape well.

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the past, a SIB, or Ultra Skin. But, I really like the Pechaeur (I forget what it is called) that came on my Pechauer cue. Unfortunately, it looks like they don't make them anymore. Now they make something they call Jade. I should have stocked up on the old ones. :(

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I think $35 could be viable if there was a big difference in quality, and you knew your tip would be a good one (i.e., no variability between differnent tips of the same type).
Given what people spend on cues, $35 for a 'good' tip instead of a bad one would be cheap.

But in reality, I don't think cheap tips are really much 'worse' (in English pool at least) and you hear people who use expensive tips complaining that they sometimes get bad ones.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always use triangles. Some for a hour some last 100-120 hours. I change tips pretty often. Nothing in life better than a good triangle-not always easy to find.

Nick Varner and Denis Searing who are friends taught me a trick about finding a good triangle. Start with the biggest size and cut it down 15mm. The reason is there’s less areas on the hide that are thick enough for 15mm’s to be cut from, so they are more consistent. They are 100% right. The tips are monsters, way too tall and diameter as well. But that’s ok-they cut down both ways just fine to fit what ever I have 12.8mm shafts and I like the sidewall 3/32” tall(which is short) but that’s what’s worked for ever for me. Point is start big and cut down with triangles. Don’t shoot the messenger here-go take that up with Denis & NickV j/k but they are right with triangles

Good luck, hope this helps some people

Fatboy