to all you apa bashers...and all league haters also

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i just do not understand why so many people dis like the apa so much. you guys are always complaining about the apparent decline of pool but yet want to bash the most successful organization in introducing new players to our sport.

without this influx of new players apa brings in every year our sport would be worse off than it is today. your favorite term for these new players is " bangers"

well let me tell you about these " bangers ". thousands of them progress in skill level as time goes by . hence the common complaint about players going up and teams cant meet the 23 rule.

thousands of them buy pool cues and as time goes buy get more serious and progress to custom cues. thousands of them get more serious and start spending time practicing and help keep pool halls open.

quite a few times i have seen posts on here joking or complaining about encountering bangers. remarks about newbies encroaching upon " your precious space " by playing on a table near you. remarks about they did not know where the rack was or looking for where to put the quarters in on a 9 footer.

guys like you are what gives pool a bad name. whats wrong with taking a lil time from your precious practice time to embrace these bangers and take them under your wing teaching them a few techniques or proper pool etiquette ?

kinda funny how the better you play or the more serious you get you tend to look down your nose at people who are new at this game. i guess you all forget that you were bangers at one time ...unless you come out of your mothers womb with a cue in your hand shooting like svb .:rolleyes:

you want to play serious pool ? apa can accommodate you. join masters. its a race to 7 with no handicap. just show up and hope you got what it takes to play even with the best in town.

want to play on 9 footers ? play the us amateur. you gotta play damn near pro speed to have a chance finishing in the top 10.

no other organization out there offers a competitive environment for people who dont know how to a hold a cue properly all the way up to some one who is capable of running rack after rack.

you guys oughta be thankful there is sch an organization as apa instead of bashing it all the time.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i just do not understand why so many people dis like the apa so much. you guys are always complaining about the apparent decline of pool but yet want to bash the most successful organization in introducing new players to our sport.

Because the APA doesn't give two shits about enforcing any of their rules. Why make rules that no body is allowed to enforce unless a referee is watching the match. The APA doesn't teach good sportsmanship or even help players get better. The APA is a deigned money vacuum. Nothing good comes from the APA.

Wanna know why I hate the APA. Because when the rules clearly state that when you call for a hit to be watched and your opponent doesn't allow the hit to be watched. Even though it was called for and they admit hearing such call, no foul is able to be called. You have to write them up. To much politics protecting their money to allow any real pool or respect to be had:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I know where to put the quarters in the 9-footers in the bar around the corner from my house....

Yes, there are coin-op 9-footers out there :p

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many different leagues here in NYC. APA, BCA, NAPL, Mega Bucks, etc.. Out of all of them, APA is universally agreed to have the most sandbagging, sharking and unsportsmanlike behavior. When people get a little more serious about their game, they leave APA or join another league.

I like leagues. They are good for pool. Some people just like to complain. Haters gonna hate.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Because the APA doesn't give two shits about enforcing any of their rules. Why make rules that no body is allowed to enforce unless a referee is watching the match. The APA doesn't teach good sportsmanship or even help players get better. The APA is a deigned money vacuum. Nothing good comes from the APA.

Wanna know why I hate the APA. Because when the rules clearly state that when you call for a hit to be watched and your opponent doesn't allow the hit to be watched. Even though it was called for and they admit hearing such call, no foul is able to be called. You have to write them up. To much politics protecting their money to allow any real pool or respect to be had:

Along with the above, the cheating or sandbagging that goes on to get to Vegas, Once in Vegas the continued cheating such as using someone else's name or not having I.D. to prove you are who you say you are, and last but not least L.O.s who keep an incredible percentage of league dues for themselves. Now these are all word of mouth stories that I have heard on here but where there is smoke there is fire. Stories like this about the APA seem pretty consistent.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

this reply right here is what i have an issue with. you want to hate an entire organization for the incidents you encounter from a certain segment of people. you will encounter this certain segment in any competitive league or any competive sport you can name.

i am taliking about rule breakers...cheaters and out right ass holes.

for just about any negative incident you have encountered in apa i can probably relate to my experience in apa...napa ...bcapl and various money leagues i have played in.

common sense tell me not to blame an entire organization for the actions of a few people...whether they be players or lo's.

you are always gonna have one bad apple in any crowd....its just a reflection of todays society as a whole.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Along with the above, the cheating or sandbagging that goes on to get to Vegas, Once in Vegas the continued cheating such as using someone else's name or not having I.D. to prove you are who you say you are, and last but not least L.O.s who keep an incredible percentage of league dues for themselves. Now these are all word of mouth stories that I have heard on here but where there is smoke there is fire. Stories like this about the APA seem pretty consistent.

you hear the same crap every year concerning the bcapl nationals. rember the thread last year about the bcapl lo who substituted one player for another on his team.

it was not about a team captain who pulled this stunt...it was a lo who did it on his personal team. several threads also pop up from time to time about master players trying to sneak under the radar and enter open events.

no difference in either league in my opinion.

also had a thread complaining about under handicapped players at the napa nationals.

again its not the leagues...its certain people in those leagues that ruin what could be a great experience for all.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

Yeah, no one cheats in BCApl, or TAP, right? Of course they do, and at their national tourneys too.

As lorider points out, any time you get a large group of people together, you will have a small segment who will try to cheat. The APA has the largest number of people participating, so you can see more examples. Probably not a higher percentage of total players, tho...

By the way, you can cite cheating examples and other shenanigans at every level if pool, including the pro's.

The APA doesn't have a monopoly on bad behavior in pool.

miscrewed89

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If only the APA cared as much about the bangers as they care about the bangers' money! If only they cared about the players who improved instead of scheming for ways to get those players' money as well! If only they kept closer tabs on their league operators and listened to the complaints of the league members when an operator's methods or ethics come into question!

Yes, it is true the APA attracts newcomers to the sport. For that, I suppose, we owe them a small tip of the hat. But, as long as they have league operators driving around in German luxury cars, meeting with their handpicked group of minions raising and lowering handicaps on a whim, fixing city tournaments so that their favorite bars have the best chance to win the Vegas trip, and then have teams who win the Vegas trip but can't afford to go because it's not really a Vegas trip, as long as the politics of league override the playing of the game, in my opinion the APA (Anti-Pooplayers-Association) will suck! They have proven time and again that they are all about the money!

Again, this is my opinion. If you like the APA, well have at it. I have just simply seen and experienced enough of the aforementioned occurrences to not want to ever be involved with them again!

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
If only the APA cared as much about the bangers as they care about the bangers' money! If only they cared about the players who improved instead of scheming for ways to get those players' money as well! If only they kept closer tabs on their league operators and listened to the complaints of the league members when an operator's methods or ethics come into question!

Yes, it is true the APA attracts newcomers to the sport. For that, I suppose, we owe them a small tip of the hat. But, as long as they have league operators driving around in German luxury cars, meeting with their handpicked group of minions raising and lowering handicaps on a whim, fixing city tournaments so that their favorite bars have the best chance to win the Vegas trip, and then have teams who win the Vegas trip but can't afford to go because it's not really a Vegas trip, as long as the politics of league override the playing of the game, in my opinion the APA (Anti-Pooplayers-Association) will suck! They have proven time and again that they are all about the money!

Again, this is my opinion. If you like the APA, well have at it. I have just simply seen and experienced enough of the aforementioned occurrences to not want to ever be involved with them again!

Yes, its about the money for the LO's. As it should be. Its their job. Its their business. Its how they support their families.

You probably aren't interested in people telling you that you shouldn't be concerned with making your living, either.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Do you know what percentage of APA members support their local hall on days other than league nights?
How much money do APA members spend on average when they go to the pool hall?
These are legitimate questions and im not bashing anyone in any kind of way.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this reply right here is what i have an issue with. you want to hate an entire organization for the incidents you encounter from a certain segment of people. you will encounter this certain segment in any competitive league or any competive sport you can name.

i am taliking about rule breakers...cheaters and out right ass holes.

for just about any negative incident you have encountered in apa i can probably relate to my experience in apa...napa ...bcapl and various money leagues i have played in.

common sense tell me not to blame an entire organization for the actions of a few people...whether they be players or lo's.

you are always gonna have one bad apple in any crowd....its just a reflection of todays society as a whole.

You have a hard time reading? The APA and all of it's LO's are the problem. They've built a rule set that is impossible to enforce. Every time there's a ruling situation, the LO and head APA office always responds with "was someone watching the hit? If not the ruling goes to the shooter." That effectively says that unless every shot is watched, you can cheat and get away with it no problem.

You are blind to the real complaints about the APA. The players are only a problem because the head office and the LO only care about the money, not ethics and promoting of a sport. Stop pretending your another voice of reason in this sea of ignorance.

APA is a legalized Ponzi scheme. Any story you hear, their decisions always follow the money. The people running APA are all about generating as much money as possible. They have no ethics in their decisions and could care less about developing the game.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
APA is a legalized Ponzi scheme. Any story you hear, their decisions always follow the money. The people running APA are all about generating as much money as possible. They have no ethics in their decisions and could care less about developing the game.

You are just throwing terms around to sensationalize your argument. There is nothing remotely close to a Ponzi scheme going on with the APA.

They provide a service, players pay for said service.

You couldn't pay me enough to be an LO.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok haters. let me try your logic. :grin:

lets see ...what is your logic ? oh yea....hate a league and not play in it for the negative actions of a few individuals.

1. sandbagging. ok ...i hate my money league and will quit it because of the rampant sand bagging.

2. money grubbing lo's. i hate bcapl and will never play it again because the lo here kept the money and did not send a team to the nationals.

3. drunk players. i will quit playing in bars because i dont wanna play around a buncha drunks.

. 4. rule breakers and ass holes... i will quit playing napa because a guy made an obvoius foul and refused to acknowledge it.

i guess i just oughta quit pool huh ?

miscrewed89

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, its about the money for the LO's. As it should be. Its their job. Its their business. Its how they support their families.

You probably aren't interested in people telling you that you shouldn't be concerned with making your living, either.

The problem is, it is done under the guise of an organization that is all about pool. When people join, they are led to believe the money they put in is going toward a prize fund or Vegas trip, or something that will come back to them or their fellow league players in some kind of way. They don't know that the APA is a FOR PROFIT organization! They don't know that league operators and franchise owners are getting rich off of their league dues. I have no problem with someone working hard and doing well for themselves. I have a problem with them swindling money to do so!
Maybe it's just the area in which I participated. But believe me, if any of you saw what went on (and probably still goes on) in the Chattanooga area APA, you would be in total agreement with me!

Leagues are good for business. Leagues are good for pool in general. That I understand and agree with. My experience with the APA has just left such a bad taste that will never go away. I won't get on here and bash them just to bash them, but when I see someone singing their praises I feel a need to share the other story as well. People need to know what they are getting into before they make an uneducated decision. After that, the choice is theirs.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have a hard time reading? The APA and all of it's LO's are the problem. They've built a rule set that is impossible to enforce. Every time there's a ruling situation, the LO and head APA office always responds with "was someone watching the hit? If not the ruling goes to the shooter." That effectively says that unless every shot is watched, you can cheat and get away with it no problem.

You are blind to the real complaints about the APA. The players are only a problem because the head office and the LO only care about the money, not ethics and promoting of a sport. Stop pretending your another voice of reason in this sea of ignorance.

no i dont think i have a reading comprehension problem. you hate apa for that rule ?

that rule is in effect in all leagues.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
The problem is, it is done under the guise of an organization that is all about pool. When people join, they are led to believe the money they put in is going toward a prize fund or Vegas trip, or something that will come back to them or their fellow league players in some kind of way. They don't know that the APA is a FOR PROFIT organization! They don't know that league operators and franchise owners are getting rich off of their league dues. I have no problem with someone working hard and doing well for themselves. I have a problem with them swindling money to do so!
Maybe it's just the area in which I participated. But believe me, if any of you saw what went on (and probably still goes on) in the Chattanooga area APA, you would be in total agreement with me!

Leagues are good for business. Leagues are good for pool in general. That I understand and agree with. My experience with the APA has just left such a bad taste that will never go away. I won't get on here and bash them just to bash them, but when I see someone singing their praises I feel a need to share the other story as well. People need to know what they are getting into before they make an uneducated decision. After that, the choice is theirs.

Obviously, if there is an LO doing unscrupulous things, that is a problem and people shouldn't continue to patronize his business.

As for LO's "getting rich", perhaps some are. I suspect that most make a good living, and I hope they do. It is more work than just printing score sheets.

Yes, it is a for profit business. Why would anyone think otherwise? I don't get it.