Torrified Shafts

wizard77

Recently acquired one and have it on my Lucasi Hybrid butt and am playing with it. It has taken a bit of adjustment, no question. Initially it was nearly an ounce an a quarter heavier than my Lucasi shaft. I adjusted for weight and balance and it has become more comfortable. It does seem to have even less deflection than the original shaft, where it points is where it goes on the barboxes I am used to primarily playing on. Where I previously may have played a half to 1 tip of sidespin it seems I have needed to cut that almost in half, with the same tip softness on the original shaft. I also have had to soften my stroke quite a bit to keep from over hitting. Is this common to what others have also experienced with torrified shafts? My hits are solid and the feel of the overall cue is better than with the original, and it has a very striking appearance with the Lucasi butt. My only complaint, if it even is one, is that there is little to any forgiveness if your aim is off even a whisker, if you were you had better have hit softly!

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recently acquired one and have it on my Lucasi Hybrid butt and am playing with it. It has taken a bit of adjustment, no question. Initially it was nearly an ounce an a quarter heavier than my Lucasi shaft. I adjusted for weight and balance and it has become more comfortable. It does seem to have even less deflection than the original shaft, where it points is where it goes on the barboxes I am used to primarily playing on. Where I previously may have played a half to 1 tip of sidespin it seems I have needed to cut that almost in half, with the same tip softness on the original shaft. I also have had to soften my stroke quite a bit to keep from over hitting. Is this common to what others have also experienced with torrified shafts? My hits are solid and the feel of the overall cue is better than with the original, and it has a very striking appearance with the Lucasi butt. My only complaint, if it even is one, is that there is little to any forgiveness if your aim is off even a whisker, if you were you had better have hit softly!
I always thought LD was more forgiving?

KREE8TIV

My first LD was a Predator p3 with a Revo shaft and a 12.4 tip , really shoot well with it but the sound kinda bugged me . Ordered a Kielwood shaft with 12.5 tip to use on the P3 butt . I really dig this new set up , for me there wasn't a big transition from the cheaper maple shafts to the CF , then the Kielwood . I haven't had to change anything when aiming or stroking ( or hitting harder or softer ) . Love the looks , the sound and feel of this shaft

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I always thought LD was more forgiving?
Doesn't seem that way. That's why I am asking what anyone else has experienced?
LD is actually less forgiving of stroke errors, because the actual bridge is closer to the tip than the “pivot point” for that shaft, resulting in a steeper angle that overcompensates for the squirt produced by the off center hit.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
LD is actually less forgiving of stroke errors, because the actual bridge is closer to the tip than the “pivot point” for that shaft, resulting in a steeper angle that overcompensates for the squirt produced by the off center hit.

pj
chgo
but doesn't the decrease squirt from the shaft offset that?
so why do you have to compensate LESS TO AIM WITH SPIN
if its LESS FORGIVING?

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo
I don't understand. Why would my bridge change? And if my bridge was closer, wouldn't stroke errors be reduced? The longer your bridge, the more "off" that tip would be with the same error at your bridge.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
…doesn't the decrease squirt from the shaft offset that?
The decreased squirt causes it (when you pivot at your bridge).

Why would my bridge change?
Your bridge (where you “pivot” with a stroke error) stays the same - your pivot point (where you should pivot) changes.

…why do you have to compensate LESS TO AIM WITH SPIN if its LESS FORGIVING?
It’s less forgiving because pivoting at your bridge (with a stroke error) overcompensates for the decreased squirt.

In principle, you should bridge at your shaft’s pivot point to avoid “stroke error squirt overcompensation”, but with a LD shaft the pivot point’s usually farther back than a comfortable bridge.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The decreased squirt causes it (when you pivot at your bridge).”

Your bridge (where you “pivot” with a stroke error) stays the same - your pivot point (where you should pivot) changes.

It’s less forgiving because pivoting at your bridge (with a stroke error) overcompensates for the decreased squirt.

In principle, you should bridge at your shaft’s pivot point to avoid “stroke error squirt overcompensation”, but with a LD shaft the pivot point’s usually farther back than a comfortable bridge.

pj
chgo
i am interpreting "LESS FORGIVING" as causing more squirt do you miss
LD shafts by definition are low (less) squirt (even tho people call it deflection
where am i confused?

dendweller

i am interpreting "LESS FORGIVING" as causing more squirt do you miss
LD shafts by definition are low (less) squirt (even tho people call it deflection
where am i confused?
I could be off base, but I think if you don't use back hand english, it is more forgiving but I could be missing something. Wait, probably missing something.

dendweller

In this case it means causing more squirt correction (because the cue's angled too much for the smaller amount of squirt it produces).

pj
chgo
But if the cue is bridged at 7" for both a normal and an ld shaft, the angle the shaft is off because of error would effect the cue ball path less with the ld shaft, correct?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In this case it means causing more squirt correction (because the cue's angled too much for the smaller amount of squirt it produces).

pj
chgo
i am still confused
if a low deflection (squirt ) shaft lets you point closer to the actual target when shooting with spin
so
if you put unintended spin when you think you are on the vertical axis but your stroke flaw hits off vertical
shouldnt you hit closer to your target than if the same thing happened with a maple shaft with a 1 inch ivory ferrule?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
i am still confused
...if the cue is bridged at 7" for both a normal and an ld shaft, the angle the shaft is off because of error would effect the cue ball path less with the ld shaft, correct?
A higher deflection shaft might have a pivot length of 7", so pivoting at the 7" bridge compensates perfectly for its greater amount of squirt.

But a lower deflection shaft has a longer pivot length (say 12" or more), so pivoting it at the 7" bridge angles the cue too much for the smaller amount of squirt (overcompensates).

pj
chgo

dendweller

A higher deflection shaft might have a pivot length of 7", so pivoting at the 7" bridge compensates perfectly for its greater amount of squirt.

But a lower deflection shaft has a longer pivot length (say 12" or more), so pivoting it at the 7" bridge angles the cue too much for the smaller amount of squirt (overcompensates).

pj
chgo
but if I'm not trying to use back hand english to compensate and I take a regular and ld and just hit them 3 degrees off of my intended aim, the ld will be closer to my aim than the regular because it deflected less, correct?

When I say, 3 degrees off I mean I hit the cue off center when I was intending to hit center. So 3 degrees doesn't really say it that well.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
but if I'm not trying to use back hand english to compensate and I take a regular and ld and just hit them 3 degrees off of my intended aim, the ld will be closer to my aim than the regular because it deflected less, correct?
We want the cue's angle to match (in the opposite direction) the angle of deflection produced by it - more angle for a higher squirt cue, less angle for a lower squirt cue. Pivoting the cue at its pivot point automatically angles it correctly, so if the pivot point is at your bridge (a higher deflection cue) a stroke error will automatically compensate correctly. But the pivot point for a lower deflection cue is farther back than a normal bridge, so pivoting at the bridge (a stroke error) creates a cue angle greater than needed to compensate for the lower deflection.

pj
chgo

dendweller

We want the cue's angle to match (in the opposite direction) the angle of deflection produced by it - more angle for a higher squirt cue, less angle for a lower squirt cue. Pivoting the cue at its pivot point automatically angles it correctly, so if the pivot point is at your bridge (a higher deflection cue) a stroke error will automatically compensate correctly. But the pivot point for a lower deflection cue is farther back than a normal bridge, so pivoting at the bridge (a stroke error) creates a cue angle greater than needed to compensate for the lower deflection.

pj
chgo
I think I get that. But if I'm just trying to hit a straight in shot with center ball, any error being off center will be worse with a regular shaft than an ld shaft.

Reactions: bbb

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

When I say, 3 degrees off I mean I hit the cue off center when I was intending to hit center. So 3 degrees doesn't really say it that well.
I think I get that. But if I'm just trying to hit a straight in shot with center ball, any error being off center will be worse with a regular shaft than an ld shaft.

pj
chgo

patrick
if the non LD shaft is hit like dendweller says and it not at its perfect pivot point
i believe he is correct just like i am saying
if you do the same experiment and hit the ball hard so swerve does not come in to play
the LD shaft will still be more forgiving
dont you agree
dont play with semantics

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...if I'm just trying to hit a straight in shot with center ball, any error being off center will be worse with a regular shaft than an ld shaft.
patrick
if the non LD shaft is hit like dendweller says and it not at its perfect pivot point
i believe he is correct just like i am saying
if you do the same experiment and hit the ball hard so swerve does not come in to play
the LD shaft will still be more forgiving
dont you agree
The closer your bridge is to your shaft's pivot point, the more accurately it will compensate for deflection when pivoted at the bridge (such as with a stroke error). Lower deflection shafts have pivot points farther away from normal bridges (farther back) than higher deflection shafts do, so...
- pivoting at the bridge with a higher deflection shaft creates a cue angle more closely matched to its angle of deflection (more forgiving)
- pivoting at the bridge with a lower deflection shaft creates a cue angle less closely matched to its angle of deflection (less forgiving)

don't play with semantice
Don't blame your lack of understanding on my semantics.

pj
chgo

Last edited: