Tournament Betting Boxes

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With the Superbowl approaching, every bar in NYC is selling Superbowl boxes. I'm sure most of you know what they are but for the remaining 1% out there, it's a way to bet on the Superbowl. You simply buy a box and when the boxes are sold, numbers are randomly assigned to each row and column. If at the end of a quarter, your numbers match the last digit in the score, you win money. It's pure luck but very popular, perhaps because it's pure luck.

So, it got me thinking, why don't we do something like this for major pool tournaments? It could be done on the local level where players buy boxes of the tournament board. Literally, you would randomly be given real estate on a tournament board to sweat.

For example:

In a 128 player tournament, the board can be split into 32 different boxes. Each box contains four players. To guarantee further excitement, the boxes would contain players that would be playing each other in the early rounds. That is to say, the first block would be the top 4 players on the chart. the second box would contain the next four players and so on. This would guarantee each box-owner would have a horse going into the final 32 on the winners' side. The assignment of boxes would be random draw prior to the start of the tournament. You could have pay-outs to the top 8.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately for me, I can't think of a way this would be profitable for the person running it but it *could* generate some interest in professional pool which is always good for streaming sites such as TAR and Accu-Stats.

Perk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The action forum would be better spot for this post. It would be good for tourneys where you knew they were gonna max at 64 or 128 for sure. I would get in if someone ran something like this for one of the larger upcoming events.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The action forum would be better spot for this post. It would be good for tourneys where you knew they were gonna max at 64 or 128 for sure. I would get in if someone ran something like this for one of the larger upcoming events.

Honestly, I was thinking about using such a format in a poolroom and hoping for feedback, not necessarily online here but that's an interesting thought.