Turning Down a 314-2

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interested in trying a Predator 314-2 but I'm pretty set in that I prefer 12mm tip size. Was wondering if a 314-2 can be turned down safely? I believe most come at 12.75 out of the factory. Can they be turned down by a cuemaker to the 12-12.25 range or is this not a possibility? Thanks in advance.

i8ap4t

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just no point. Turn it down and you are throwing away the warranty. And since it's hollow at the end, you are removing quite a lot of what wood is left, making it a lot weaker, and prone to damage.

The above doesn't even take into consideration the fact that the cue will play COMPLETELY differently.

Why not just get a Z2 or something else?

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply. The reason I didn't want a Z2 is because it's too thin for what I like and has a conical, euro taper as opposed to a pro taper. I've shot with many original 314 predators, even my son has one, and I like the hit they offer. I know there's a difference in hit with the new 314-2 shafts but was hoping they would be similar enough and somehow be offered in different diameters. I haven't been able to find them anywhere other than at the standard 12.75mm size however. The only thing is, I just don't care for a 13mm shaft and the 314-2 is much closer to that than 12mm I prefer. I suppose I'll have to either stick with custom turned shafts and give up using a Predator, or try to adjust to either a thicker (314-2), or thinner (Z2) shaft. Thanks again.

i8ap4t

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you go to buy a 314, goto seyberts. You will be able to get them to turn it down, instead of having to take it somewhere else.

If it's what you want. GET IT. If you just want to try it, I dunno what to say.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
The 314-2 can be reduced to 12.25mm and still retain it's warranty.
Go below that and you void the warranty.
This is also stated on the Predator website under 'customer service',
'care instructions' - 'tip diameter'.

"TIP DIAMETER. We do not recommend turning your shaft down.
You can choose to turn your shaft, but any 3142 shaft turned below 12.25 mm,
any Z2 shaft turned below 11.40 mm, and any Fat shaft turned below 12.70 mm
will result in an automatic void of your warranty."

shankster8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
KJ: Do the Z-2 ahd 314-2 shafts have the same size hole drilled in them If so, it is the ferrule wall thickness that primarily limits the turn down dimension. If that is the case and if the Z-2 ferrule comes slightly oversize, say 12+ mm, then it seems a Z-2 ferrule might be installed on a 314-2 shaft turned down to 12 mm. Possible?

Mc2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interested in trying a Predator 314-2 but I'm pretty set in that I prefer 12mm tip size. Was wondering if a 314-2 can be turned down safely? I believe most come at 12.75 out of the factory. Can they be turned down by a cuemaker to the 12-12.25 range or is this not a possibility? Thanks in advance.

I see that you are in Georgia and that your main player is a Lomax. Lomax's shop is north of Atlanta. Why not contact him. He is very familiar with the Predator product. He would be able to adjust the shaft and keep the warranty intact.

PM me if you need his contact information. He is a great guy to deal with.

Jim.

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see that you are in Georgia and that your main player is a Lomax. Lomax's shop is north of Atlanta. Why not contact him. He is very familiar with the Predator product. He would be able to adjust the shaft and keep the warranty intact.

PM me if you need his contact information. He is a great guy to deal with.

Jim.

Yes, I worked personally with Steve to build my player. He was the first cuemaker on my list to do the actual work. I hadn't had a chance to speak with him yet and was perusing the boards when I decided to look into it so that's why I posted here first. There are many great cuemakers out there and I thought I might get a quick answer here first. Thanks for the suggestion though!

x3dnd3x

Trainee Chalk Collector
Silver Member
What about shortening the length of a 314-2? Will it void the warranty? :confused: