Tweaking Older Soren Sogaards

Bernie33

Registered
The local room here in Central Penna. acquired an older Soren Sogaard table last year and it plays as expected - short but predictable. The cloth has loosened somewhat and needs to be re-stretched or replaced. Now that 3C interest has increased and reservations & waiting times are common, the owner is considering purchasing another similar table (I couldnt sell him on the many advantages of a new Rojas Elitte - he isnt a 3C player).

I recall reading somewhere on the 'net an article on planing the rail bottoms a millimeter or so to get the cushion height to something like 37.5mm. A room owner in Fla has used this technique on the older Sogaards with success in getting these tables to play longer eg. the newer Kleban cushioned models.

Can anyone comfirm this fix or does anyone have that link somewhere. I have searched hi & low for it but havent made it back to that article. Thanks guys.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bernie33 said:
... I recall reading somewhere on the 'net an article on planing the rail bottoms a millimeter or so to get the cushion height to something like 37.5mm. A room owner in Fla has used this technique on the older Sogaards with success in getting these tables to play longer eg. the newer Kleban cushioned models.
I'm not a table mechanic, but I think higher rails make the table play longer. (I think it is "Kleber" rubber.)

In the mean time, you might consider cleaning the balls before every game.

Deno J. Andrews

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The older Sogaards do play sharply, though creating the following conditions can help tremendously:

Before each game, clean the table with a slightly damp rag. Always use new balls and clean and polish them before each game. Once the balls are six months old, get rid of them and use new ones because they shrink. Get a good mechanic out of NYC like Mr. Ok (prn. Oak) to recover the table properly. You can have the rubber replaced with Kleber which will change the whole dynamic of the table. You do not want the rail height to be higher with the rubber that is on there now or else it will play more sharply.

For the short term, the ball and cloth condition will be the most crucial. Also, talk the room owner into the Rojas table as it is a super table and since coming from Mexico rather than Europe, the price can't be beat.

Deno

max06

3-C convert
Silver Member
Rojas Elitte 3-C table

Deno J. Andrews said:
the price can't be beat.

Deno

How much for a new or used Elitte Professional del & set up in Ashland PA, 17931

Last edited: