Tyler Styer vs Jesus Stencil getting the 9 in 10 ball Race tom100 starts now

ChicagoJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This wasn't the World 10 championships or the DDC finals, you have to play on equipment that gets dirty, what I watched in this match was a very very talented kid with little to no real poolhall experience, if pattern racking and perfectly clean everything is the only way you can play your A game then you probably aren't going to get there either way.

OH THE CHALK!

That's pretty unfair. Kamui chalk is a disaster and would certainly mess with people's heads when it's all over the cue ball. And the way Jesus' backer was talking to Tyler was pretty unprofessional as well (not that he was talking to him, but the way he was talking to him).

And who says they have to play on equipment that gets dirty? Roy's basement isn't the Phillipines.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shit I found it. When Tyler was up 72-71 Roy told him he can’t clean the cue ball anymore. Tyler said it’s because Jesus was using Predator chalk and it was getting all over the cue ball. Pretty shitty of Roy. Goes on for a few minutes. Tyler definitely stood up for himself and it gets a bit heated. The video is on the Facebook profile of a guy named Mike Molina.
Pretty sure that was Carlos the guy in with Jesus saying that not Roy.

I think the main problem was Jesus didn't like Tyler grabbing the cue ball himself without saying anything every time he wanted to clean it and it was a lot.

They had Hunter Lombardo clean the ball from that point on.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good analysis here. Tyler had no rhythm to his game and looked tight and stiff on many shots. He was not comfortable and looked uncertain at times. Meanwhile the kid just let if flow and played a nice simple style. Not to much fuss or strain when he's at the table. He was loose as a goose and played like a veteran money player.

All that said, if they played even Tyler might beat him. I think the weight really showed up here, both mentally and physically. Tyler might feel a lot more comfortable playing even and not giving any weight. His confidence might come back to him. something sorely lacking here.

By the way all the ballyhoo about Tyler's strong break didn't prove prophetic. He did break hard but his break was not as effective as Jesus', whose controlled break brought him more open racks to shoot at. It's one thing to break hard and it's still another to have a shot after the break, as well as control the cue ball.

I've just watched a smaller part of the whole thing but from what I've seen your points about the break are spot on.
I guess it is very likely they will play even sooner or later and we'll see how they perform and the results at the end. I believe Jesus will improve so till the time they meet next it could be a good match up again.
Venezuelian guy showed some heart and that is good for the audience.

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A player using Kamui chalk should not be surprised when the opponent frequently wants to clean the cue ball. Kamui doesn’t just leave a normal chalk mark, it often leaves a smear that includes large chalk particles on the cue ball. For this reason, I do not enjoy playing against players using Kamui, and just like Tyler, will ask to clean the cue ball when I see one of those huge chalk residue marks on the cue ball. What else can you do? Ignore it and risk a bad skid? So don’t blame Tyler one bit for wanting the cue ball cleaned, but agree he should consult the opponent before marking and picking up the cueball.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its like a bunch of kids with cans with strings in here :speechless:

The players agreed on the rules before the match, Tyler had very particular rules about cleaning the table and balls at every break during the match ( which changes the play of the table ), but all agreed.

During day 1 while Tyler was dominating he was only cleaning the cue ball after each game which no one had a problem with.

During day 2 while Tyler was melting down he started picking up the cue ball and cleaning it in the middle of a few games, something was said but it went no farther than that.

During day 3 Tyler was picking up the cue ball during most games to clean it, he wasn't even acknowledging Jesus to ask and was just taking it upon himself to sheriff the table, and finally Jesus and Carlos had enough. Words were exchanged in a non aggressive manner but they did not want him touching the cue ball for any reason from that point forward.

How any dolt can associate this as a move is bound me, other than sparking up Tyler's OCD, he brought the entire situation upon himself.

This wasn't the World 10 championships or the DDC finals, you have to play on equipment that gets dirty, what I watched in this match was a very very talented kid with little to no real poolhall experience, if pattern racking and perfectly clean everything is the only way you can play your A game then you probably aren't going to get there either way.

OH THE CHALK!
I agree. You have to keep your opponent in check. He shouldn't pick up.the cueball in the middle of the game without asking...that's simply not allowed.

I agree with Tyler that Kamui chalk sucks. It gets all over the cueball and if you aren't used to having to look through it to shoot then it bothers you. Not to mention the skids it causes all the time. Room owners hate it too. It's a scam for what they charge...laughable.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen Jeremy Jones pull that move on Cliff Joyner in a Houston bar table tournament. JJ was talking about how much all that hand talc bugs Cliff right next to me while I was sweating the match. Cliff didn't say a word...just grabbed a towel and wiped down the rails and balls between games.

All that said, I don't think Jesus was sharking Tyler with his cue chalk...or by protesting the fact that Tyler was picking up the cueball in the middle of a game to clean it. I'd guess Tyler sharked himself his own slow play. It was unbearable.

After the argument Tyler wiped the entire table like a Zamboni between periods with a damp towel. You could see Jesus looking like he wanted to dust the table again.

These arguments and the infamous Racking Wars make pool unwatchable to new fans. We need more set rules as all these gadgets and changes are added to the game by billiards companies. It won't be long until we go to the table like a golfer, choosing which cue we use to shoot, then applying the short or long range chalk with either right or left throw properties.

Just play the game... Which is exactly what Jesus did down the stretch.

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good analysis here. Tyler had no rhythm to his game and looked tight and stiff on many shots. He was not comfortable and looked uncertain at times. Meanwhile the kid just let if flow and played a nice simple style. Not to much fuss or strain when he's at the table. He was loose as a goose and played like a veteran money player.

All that said, if they played even Tyler might beat him. I think the weight really showed up here, both mentally and physically. Tyler might feel a lot more comfortable playing even and not giving any weight. His confidence might come back to him. something sorely lacking here.

By the way all the ballyhoo about Tyler's strong break didn't prove prophetic. He did break hard but his break was not as effective as Jesus', whose controlled break brought him more open racks to shoot at. It's one thing to break hard and it's still another to have a shot after the break, as well as control the cue ball.
I always wonder about these robotic players who seem to never allow themselves to get into freestroke. I think for many, they just bring themselves down and completely destroy their rhythm.

Some make it work. Best example to me is Ralf Souquet...at his best he was a machine. His routines and execution got the other guys to wonder if they were playing the game incorrectly. I practiced with him fir about an hour once...I questioned why I ever picked up a cue. He beat me 9 to 4 and I was the only one keeping score.

That said pool is the best game ever invented. Was beautiful to see this young man applying his skills in the home stretch.

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a practice in the Philippines to supposedly keep moisture out the chalk.
And watching the videos of matches in the Philippines, players commonly shark each other. Studying to see if a player is hooked, before allowing the opponent to get in line for the shot; standing and waving in the line of the shot; picking up chalk or talc while the opponent is shooting; talking while the opponent is shooting; etc.

That makes a little more sense than "that's how you use" but both seem appropriate to play especially given they make a powder mountain next to the side pockets anyway.

One thing I noticed about well powdered tables though, : once they get brushed off, there goes your draw.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shit I found it. When Tyler was up 72-71 Roy told him he can’t clean the cue ball anymore. Tyler said it’s because Jesus was using Predator chalk and it was getting all over the cue ball. Pretty shitty of Roy. Goes on for a few minutes. Tyler definitely stood up for himself and it gets a bit heated. The video is on the Facebook profile of a guy named Mike Molina.

It wasn't Roy. It was Jesus's stake horse that said you can't touch the CB ever !
Said it with a treating voice to my ear. Tyler stood his ground because the chalk Jesus was using put chalk marks on whitey every shot. Tyler said his chalk does not put
marks on the CB. All Roy did was tell them to agree on a decision now for the rest of the match. Jesus said he didn't care if Tyler cleaned the CB. Then someone off camera
said he would clean the CB for both players on demand. That was it.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen Jeremy Jones pull that move on Cliff Joyner in a Houston bar table tournament. JJ was talking about how much all that hand talc bugs Cliff right next to me while I was sweating the match. Cliff didn't say a word...just grabbed a towel and wiped down the rails and balls between games.

All that said, I don't think Jesus was sharking Tyler with his cue chalk...or by protesting the fact that Tyler was picking up the cueball in the middle of a game to clean it. I'd guess Tyler sharked himself his own slow play. It was unbearable.

in a way the kamui chalk is a modern version of the powder shark move. it really shouldn't be allowed. you're not allowed to bring wax or grease and dab the cueball with it, so why should you be allowed to apply a substance with the same properties on the ball with your cue tip?

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tyler vs Jesus

I watched most of the match and I don't remember anybody complaining about Tyler cleaning the ball until the 3rd day. Why wait until the 3rd day to complain? Was it a shark move by Jesus's backer since it disrupted the flow of the game for about 5 minutes?