Ultraskin vs Sniper vs Kamui Tan

nibrobus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys need a bit of advice on tips, appreciate your help as always. I recently purchased a new Mezz EC7-WMW about a month ago and my previous cue was an EC7-R. Old cue had the WD700 shaft and the new cue has the updated WX700 shaft, where the only difference is supposedly a new ferrule material.

Anyway, I've been really struggling with the new cue in regards to shotmaking and position and I was not expecting that since the shafts are essentially the same. After playing with the new cue/shaft exclusively for the last month (as I wanted to make sure I wasn't being affected by any mental bias) I decided to throw my old shaft on for a practice session. Immediately my shotmaking and position are back to where it was before.

The new shaft (WX700) comes with a standard Kamui Brown Medium, so the new only thing I can assume is that the tip is just not for me. I had a Tiger Sniper tip on my old shaft, so I'm going to try switching out the Kamui for a Sniper to see if that helps the new cue play how I want it to. However, I'm also curious about Ultraskin (regular and SIB) tips and was wondering how they compare to Kamui/Sniper tips. Honestly, if they play close to Kamui's I might just pass and stick with Sniper tips. I know they're cheap to try but I don't want to buy a pack of 10 and be left with 9 tips I'm not going to use.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played Tiger Everest, Sniper, Onyx and Ultraskins Medium. My main Snooker shaft has seen more, but the dont really apply to pool shafts.

The Sniper is good, a bit too hard for me in the end, but very consistent with nice feedback. Played a lot of carom on that shaft....
The (black) Onyx is better and stays just a little softer, but very pricey.
The Ultraskins M (also black) is quite similar to the Onyx, soft yet firm, very consistent, very grippy with excellent feedback. And has a sensible price.

Go for Ultraskins! If you liked the Sniper then I think the M is good for you, but trying out the S (later) doesn't hurt.

Also, please always properly shape your tip! It actually makes a huge difference.

If it really doesn't work out then why not keep the WX shaft and use it on you new butt?

Cheers,
M

nibrobus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the feedback guys, really helps out a lot. I think I am going to pick up an Ultraskin Medium to try out (maybe both a regular black and the newer SIB) along with some Snipers just in case.

And yes, I could always just go ahead and play with my old shaft on my new cue but it doesn't make me feel good having a brand new shaft I just can't use haha. I also put a long scratch on the ferrule on my old shaft when I was using a Tip Pik and it slipped and it's just kind of annoying to look at.

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I currently am shooting with an ultraskin medium and I love it. I decided awhile ago I don't really like kamuis. I still have a kamui md tan in my bag too...

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I currently am shooting with an ultraskin medium and I love it. I decided awhile ago I don't really like kamuis. I still have a kamui md tan in my bag too...
When it's all said and done, after all the gimmicktry, there's only one tip to be considered other than Elkmaster, Triangle, or LePro, and that's a Milkdud. Made by Az member pooldawg8. These words are, of course, my opinions !!!

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Yep, this is a good path. Mine as well. Evolved out of Snipers because they were too labor intensive in my experience. Snipers are great for a med-hard taste, but I went to ultraskin mediums and then to the Kamui medium for pretty mush the same hardness... the feel of all three are considerably different, but not to the point of debilitation.

For me.... just me... I find the current supply of Kamui mediums to be pretty easy to live with. Man I hope I worded that carefully enough. Kamui tips are a super loaded and touchy subject. Most due to cost I'm guessing.

Lesh

PS: Tried the Onyx as well and found them to be labor intensive as well to maintain a reliable tip to stay in contact with the cue ball. Glazing... many miscues with normal chalking routine. Apologies to any and all if my experience distresses thee.

I played Tiger Everest, Sniper, Onyx and Ultraskins Medium. My main Snooker shaft has seen more, but the dont really apply to pool shafts.

The Sniper is good, a bit too hard for me in the end, but very consistent with nice feedback. Played a lot of carom on that shaft....
The (black) Onyx is better and stays just a little softer, but very pricey.
The Ultraskins M (also black) is quite similar to the Onyx, soft yet firm, very consistent, very grippy with excellent feedback. And has a sensible price.

Go for Ultraskins! If you liked the Sniper then I think the M is good for you, but trying out the S (later) doesn't hurt.

Also, please always properly shape your tip! It actually makes a huge difference.

If it really doesn't work out then why not keep the WX shaft and use it on you new butt?

Cheers,
M

Last edited:

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When it's all said and done, after all the gimmicktry, there's only one tip to be considered other than Elkmaster, Triangle, or LePro, and that's a Milkdud. Made by Az member pooldawg8. These words are, of course, my opinions !!!

I think this is not a general discussion about tips.
It's more about "hey, I like that one... will XYZ also be OK with me?"

So really just people that know the Sniper and can compare it to other tips should post I believe.
Cheers,
M

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Amazing how many players, after experimenting with softness, hardness, and every new fangled tip out there end up with the good old standbys that you have mention. Hard pressed Triangle for me. A buck per tip, lasts forever, and you don't have to fool with them much.

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a fan of Tom and his Ultraskin tips I can tell you that the SIB medium is great to work with if you put it on yourself. It is a little softer than some mediums and grippy.SIBs do not come in hard. I have it on my EC7 HP 2 combo and that is my player.

I have his Ultraqskin Hard on my other Mezz with the Expro shaft . It is not as hard as some hards so I like it . On Toms chart it shows his US Hard as 76.6 and the Pool Dawg chart shows the Tiger Sniper 77.8. So I would think the Ultraskin Hard would feel close to your Tiger

See for yourself

http://www.layeredcuetips.com/?a=faq

https://www.pooldawg.com/article/pooldawg-library/the-ultimate-pool-cue-tip-guide

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
have you considered its the difference in deflection and not the tip for the misses??

wreiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got some Ultraskin SIB pros in... I must say I was really disappointed with the lack of grip I get as compared to a Soft Samui or Moori. I tried it cut high and then lowered it, Just not my cup of tea. You should try the Kamikaze tips, they are very nice and do not gloss over as much. Of course its all Subjective.
I play a Samui soft on my Mezz WX700

Last edited:

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion Ultraskin and Sniper are good tips and Kamui is overpriced junk.
Just my opinion.
You might also like Triangle.
Those are amazing.
Single layer, keep shape like they're a phenolic, almost no maintenance with glazing over etc.
I have nothing negative to say about Triangle.

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The SIB pro is my main player now. I've not experienced any of the issues stated in an earlier post. Triangles are also an excellent, no frills, inexpensive choice.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

nibrobus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
have you considered its the difference in deflection and not the tip for the misses??

In regards to the above question, yes I have considered the difference in deflection between the 2 shafts. However, since both shafts are essentially the same (WX700 is the next gen WD700 with just a different ferrule) I was expecting them to play just about identical and that just hasn't been the case with me (granted, no 2 shafts are ever going to play EXACTLY alike). The only other difference between the 2 shafts is the tip. I'm not usually very picky when it comes to tips but it's such a dramatic difference that it's been hard to adjust and it's been a frustrating experience.

On a side note, I was shooting with some friends on a 9 foot Diamond the other night when a buddy asked me to shoot a particular draw shot I was having problems with using my new cue. Same result, rather than drawing the ball it just sort of stunned along the tangent line rather than hooking back. He lets me use his cue and I immediately get the expected action and the ball hooks like I want it to. I then put my old shaft on and same thing, great draw action and ball goes where I expect it to.

I'm not saying Kamui's are bad or you can't draw the ball with them, just for my particular stroke/style I seem to be having trouble with them.

nibrobus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a fan of Tom and his Ultraskin tips I can tell you that the SIB medium is great to work with if you put it on yourself. It is a little softer than some mediums and grippy.SIBs do not come in hard. I have it on my EC7 HP 2 combo and that is my player.

I have his Ultraqskin Hard on my other Mezz with the Expro shaft . It is not as hard as some hards so I like it . On Toms chart it shows his US Hard as 76.6 and the Pool Dawg chart shows the Tiger Sniper 77.8. So I would think the Ultraskin Hard would feel close to your Tiger

See for yourself

http://www.layeredcuetips.com/?a=faq

https://www.pooldawg.com/article/pooldawg-library/the-ultimate-pool-cue-tip-guide

Thanks for those links! I do tend to like a harder tip, just got used to it since all tips harden over time I go long periods before tip changes. Based on those hardness ratings I think I'm going to try an Ultraskin Hard on this first go 'round and see how I like it.

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for those links! I do tend to like a harder tip, just got used to it since all tips harden over time I go long periods before tip changes. Based on those hardness ratings I think I'm going to try an Ultraskin Hard on this first go 'round and see how I like it.

No problem.. Let us know what you think.