Unbelievable Miss on the 9 ball

Physics

dabarbr said:
With all due respect but inside english would be the last thing I would consider.

I hear ya! No English or a touch of inside is just more accurate when the angle is very low.

A lot of top players use outside a lot and I have seen many miss that very shot. ;)

Ray
 
You guys really need to figure out a way to get into the box with players like this. I mean, they don't miss often but they all miss. It really is encouraging watching pros stink (no offense meant to Archer, just a general statement).

Also, this is a team event. Playing for a team is a different beast. I don't care who you are. If you're not used to doing it, it's a bit stressful.
 
I cant stand to watch that again, OUCH!!! I had just walked into the room I didnt see the 8 ball shot, I was next to one of the cameras when JA missed that one, I just turned around and left the room, brutal, pool can just be too brutal, nerves, pressure, $$$, none of are immune to it. Not even JA that day. But what dosent kill us makes us stronger.
 
Jude Rosenstock said:
You guys really need to figure out a way to get into the box with players like this. I mean, they don't miss often but they all miss. It really is encouraging watching pros stink (no offense meant to Archer, just a general statement).

Also, this is a team event. Playing for a team is a different beast. I don't care who you are. If you're not used to doing it, it's a bit stressful.


I spent 2 days in the players room with all of the team, Scooby,Jay and me were the only non-team members who spent anytime in that room, with out going into detail the tension was high, there was a TV in there to watch the matches on and a practice table, soda pops and a ice bowl. I was in there most of the time the last 2 days, everyone got along good but the pressure was real. JA told me before it started that it is one of the most high pressure events he has ever played in, its like that every year he said. And it showed this year, Earl has the best winning record % of any M-Cup players-says alot about him, Earl is awesome.
 
Just wondering, but is there any chance that some chalk on the cueball made contact with the nine and straightened out the cut a little?

Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

Thanks!
 
No Video......

Jude Rosenstock said:
You guys really need to figure out a way to get into the box with players like this. I mean, they don't miss often but they all miss. It really is encouraging watching pros stink (no offense meant to Archer, just a general statement).

Also, this is a team event. Playing for a team is a different beast. I don't care who you are. If you're not used to doing it, it's a bit stressful.

Shane VB was missing a lot of balls in Houston this past weekend. He still finished 2nd!!

I was in Amarillo at a barbox 9ball tourney with a top player. He got us in the auction money and had ONE 9 ball to get us in the black real good. Guess what the shot was! That's right.......slight angle 5-6 degrees. Dogged it!! His opponent got on the hill also with that game and then snapped the 9 on the break!! Devastating!

Jude's right though! Get in the box with top players. You have a chance. :wink:

Even if you don't win, you will learn(which is a win too).

Ray
 
Last edited:
It didn't matter if the ball skid or not. Look at the CB right after contact. It didn't move a bit to the left or right, meaning he hit the OB straight on. And the shot wasn't a straight-in shot, nor did. Skid or not, he still would have missed the shot. He simply didn't shoot the CB where he wanted.
 
jsp said:
It didn't matter if the ball skid or not. Look at the CB right after contact. It didn't move a bit to the left or right, meaning he hit the OB straight on. And the shot wasn't a straight-in shot, nor did. Skid or not, he still would have missed the shot. He simply didn't shoot the CB where he wanted.
Correctomundo
 
IMO what caused the miss was the bridge hand...the skid was incidental not the culprit....It was an awkward position to bridge from for Johnny and you see him fight the hand position.

Watch the bridge hand (after he picks the lint off the table)

You will see he places his bridge and then you see it shift a bit becuase he was uncomfortable...It was only a "slight" shift....but it was also a "slight" miss....

That coupled with being jacked up a bit and extended over the pocket caused him to hit just off center on the CB and end result after all the details piled on....a miss.

The only reason I spotted this was because the exact type of shot has caused me a miss many many times.

Just a little angle....over a pocket, awkward bridge, jacked up, on the money ball, for the lead in a big match...

If the OB skidded it was because his alignment was just off center on the CB and caused the skid.....again IMO


I saw a straight in 9-ball for the match missed by a local TOP TOP ranked bar box player....The shot was on a bar box, the 9-ball was no more than a diamond away from the pocket the CB was no more than two diamonds away from the 9-ball (and off the rail completly) and it was an almost dead straight in shot....Typically it is the kind of shot that you give to your opponent...The only reason he did not give him the shot was becuase it was a hill-hill game for the match....NOBODY in the room could believe he missed the shot....Everybody in the room would have lost thier life savings on this guy shooting that shot.
 
B-i-n-g-o

jsp said:
It didn't matter if the ball skid or not. Look at the CB right after contact. It didn't move a bit to the left or right, meaning he hit the OB straight on. And the shot wasn't a straight-in shot, nor did. Skid or not, he still would have missed the shot. He simply didn't shoot the CB where he wanted.

I agree. I just set this shot up and made it 18 times in a row with both touch of inside & touch of outside. This was under the tremendous pressure of my 9 yr old daughter watching and asking repeatedly why I kept shooting the same shot!! LOL

He just missed.

Ray
(plays great alone)
 
johnnys jacked up and efrens on a tight table(trust me that thing spits everything out). It happens. When you play in front of cameras as often as those two ;your bound to get caught doggin an easy shot.

anyone got the vid of corey missin the nine after making that crazy draw on the four to get out? Ill look later.
 
Bigtruck said:
I agree. I just set this shot up and made it 18 times in a row with both touch of inside & touch of outside. This was under the tremendous pressure of my 9 yr old daughter watching and asking repeatedly why I kept shooting the same shot!! LOL

He just missed.

Ray
(plays great alone)
I agree with you in that this is a routine shot under normal conditions.

Johnny was obviously under much pressure. On the previous shot on the eight he would normally have put some right english on the cue ball to get to the second rail quicker leaving better position on the nine. He shy-ed away from doing anything other than cinching the eight and not allowing the cue ball to get off the second rail. Pressure makes us shoot this way sometimes.
 
Why Johnny and Efren missed those 9balls?
Both were clearly uncombortable with not only that shot, but the whole situation, match, current result, environment and everything about it. It happens even to the best of them. 30+ years of playing at the very top of professional game and they still make mistakes like that sometimes...amazing!
 
Back
Top