Unified Tour System - UPDATE

MikeJanis

Banned
I just want to give everyone interested the heads-up, in the new venture about the Unified Tour Sysyem. This system is partially up and running. I have talked with many of the other regional tour operators and most have already comitted to becoming involved, some are still in the desision process.

One of our first steps on the Unified tour System will be to implement 1 set of rules for all regional tours. In ddition to this 1st big step we have already started to lay the groundwork to produce at least one of the Unified Tour events for television. And already have some inside industry sponsors bidding for there sponsorship role in the new system.

This new Unified Tour System will work for the benefit of our sport and with future luck will be the foundation for a much larger and needed tournament structure here in the US.

As far as each individual regional tour is concerned it will be business as usual. All of the regional structures will operate independantly from each other under the umbrella fornat of the Unified Tour System. So no major structural changes in each individual tour need to be made.

As a player you will enjoy many additional benefites by playing in the regional tour in your area. The Unified Tour System will qualify a particular number of players from each associated regional tour that will be eligible to play in the Unified Tour Systems events. And only players that qualify through the associated individual regional tours will be eligible to participate in the Unified Tour Systems events (NO EXCEPTIONS).

That's the HEADS-UP. Sorry' I can't go into specific details at this time but all the information that I can provide will be available in a "PRESS RELEASE" that will be going out soon. Please look for it on every Forum, NG and Magazine.

Also, I would like to thank everyone that has sent in there ideas to me. They have all been read.

For now in leu of a major sponsors name this entity will be known as "The Unified Tour System" or "UTS".

Ps. please post all + comments in this forum. Recycle the rest

Respectfully,

Mike Janiss
President/Founder - The Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour
Board Member - The "UTS"

manlyshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike, sounds like a good concept. Keep up the good work. I especially like the fact that you are trying to unify players not divide them, willing to "hear" helpful suggestions that will improve the UTS, and that you are actually inviting folks to provide their input.

I know that it is difficult to please everybody, but this forum sure is a good way to get the message out. I applaud your efforts.

Looking forward to the press release. The Viking Tour enjoys a successful reputation, and with you behind the UTS in its initial formation, I am confident that the end result will be positive for the pool community.

ManlyShot

MikeJanis

Banned
Manlyshot, thanks for the good words. I appreciate any and all feedback, especially the ones that tell me I'm on the right track.

I'll do my best to get things movin along as soon as possible.

Ps. I invite any tour promoters that I have not already contacted to please call me and discuss your possible involvement with the UTS. Especially the regional womens tours that are not involved with the WPBA. Not that we don't want to deal with the WPBA, it's just that they already have a great system in place and we don't want to interfere with that. They (WPBA) are doing a great job and I wish them continued success!

Mj
1-800-200-POOL (7665)

jjinfla

Banned
Sounds like you have been doing your homework Mike. Keeping all existing tours in place and allowing them input as to who from their tours will qualify in the UTS is a great idea. Hopefully the leaders of the various tours can become part of a board of directors in your organization. And by having the "cream" of the various tours compete in the UTS that will give your tour the class and prestige that the pros deserve. And getting a TV deal will really be nice. I would hope that known pros, pros who are US Open champions would automatically qualify for the UTS even though they do not actively compete in the various tours.

Lots of luck,

Jake

MikeJanis

Banned
Sorry Jake, the rules are the rules. Only players that qualify through the regional tour systems will qualify for the UTS events.
I'm sure I will get some rebellion to this but it is felt to be the best position. Besides, how hard could it be for a US Open Champion to compete on the regional level. Myself and my tour players welcome the opportunity to compete against the best of the best for the low $30 entry fees on the Viking Tour and the low entry fees on the other tours associated with the UTS.

I hope to see you out there!

Mj

MikeJanis

Banned
I saw this posted on alt.sport.pool and thought I'd share it with everyone here......

So when we have a National UTS the players will have the NUTS!

Mark0

Thanks MarkO, what a great understanding you have.

Mj

stevelomako

Love you all!
Silver Member
Mike,
I have a good feeling that this is the start of something really, really big. I know the effort you put in when you started the tournament trail and look what it turned into, you sacrificed alot for yourself because I know how much you like playing and can't because of the time and effort you put in from Day 1 when you started running tournaments and getting sponsers together.

People need to remember when they look at a big tree it just started from a little seed and didn't grow overnite, this will be the same except you have a bunch of saplings already.

I've always thought everything was kind of backwards for awhile now. Seems to me like you need tournaments 1st, then when they are in place on a regular basis, players can slowly get organized. You can have every good player in the world in an organization but if there are no tournaments what good is it?

Everyone forgets, that in Golf (really don't like comparing the two but everyone does) they didn't have the PGA before tournaments, they had tournaments then the PGA. Same tough road to take. Tournaments become great because of longevity. You're already showing this (how many years now?) with the Viking tour, and others have been following along.

Things like this excites people and brings up all kinds of ideas (have some myself). Keep the ball rolling. Wishing you much, much success but I already know there will be because of how hard you work. Maybe I'll start playing again myself. Hey, you want to sell your cue, I know you won't be using it much for awhile.

Take care,
Steve Lomako

MikeJanis

Banned
Steve, I just got a new Viking LTD like the one Corey Deuel had, except the ebony and Ivory are reversed which ads abot 50% more ivory. I love it but as you mentioned I hardly ever get to play with it. But if you want one I know where I can get you a great deal.

Mj

stevelomako

Love you all!
Silver Member
You got it Mike,

I was just kidding about buying the cue, it was a joke about you not using your's much, I've still got a couple, bit of dust on them though.

You ever talk to Joe Kerr? If you do tell the guys from michigan from the old days still talk and think about him.

Thanks,
Steve

MikeJanis

Banned
Joe Kerr, he's still kickin. I just heard him making announcements on a video at the worldpool.com ebsite. He was involved with the Patriot Cup in some way. I love Joe and will tell him that you what you said. If you want his phone #, email or call me and I will give it to you. I don't know if you know this but Joe kerr is in a big part responsible for my success. Unfortunately I benefited from his illness but he holds a lifetime "honors" membership to any tour I am involved with. He did a lot for our sport. I wish he could get more respect and honors before he passes.

By the way, I'm sorry I never made it to your place. The last time I was in action in the Detroit area I was playing Richie Richerson. he was giv'en me 10-5 playin banks on a loose GC with nappy cloth. He begged me to play at the Rac but I insisted we play right where we were. I got him 4 or 5 games for some good size jelly beans. I didn't want any part of him on your well kept, tight pocketed tables.

Mj

stevelomako

Love you all!
Silver Member
Yes I know you robbed poor little Richie, but you did the right thing. Buddy Hall didn't want any part of him on my tables either, they played on one of the Diamonds then moved to the Gold Crown and Buddy couldn't pull up quick enough.

As for Joe, I knew about you and him, thats why I asked. I will call and get his number from you. He did do alot, I know his notebook has a lot of names in it of players that still owe him (dont we all, lol).

You know, I was good friends with Louie Roberts and since he passed away I always wanted to do something in his memory. He's the only winner of the U.S. OPEN that lost his first match and came back and won (11 matches in a row). I've wanted to donate something to the guy that's won the most matches on the loser side in his honor like the Louie Roberts Memorial Trophy or something. He's the only winner that's not around anymore and I think I'm not the only one that misses him, he was quite a character.

Maybe we could have some kind of trophy or award in Joe Kerrs honor.

I'll talk to ya,
Steve

K

Ken in CT

Mike, I don't particularily care for UTS. How about considering the "National Unified Tour System"? Has a better ring to it, it's more descriptive and forms a word related to pool.

Also you should consider letting "C" level players in for free. Maybe give us a spot, too.
Ken in CT

stevelomako

Love you all!
Silver Member
Hey, I like what Ken said but how about expanding the free entries to "B" players too!

WAIT!!! Why not let "A" level players in for free also?

OH MY GOD..........STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Add handicap's to the Tour

Why let no ambition, desire, dedication, heartbreak, hardship, ability, etc. etc. keep anyone from playing EQUAL to a........... PROFESSIONAL!!

There's a reason why they use the term PROFESSIONAL.

Because when someone does something as their profession it means they make a living at it, hence the term Professional.

Why should anyone in any business be on equal terms or better than any professional? Bad lawyers dont make as much as good lawyers.....bad mechanics dont make as much as good mechanics....and so on and so on.

Why should bad pool players be equal to good pool players, they've put their time and effort into their trade like any other, sometimes worse.

Maybe Golf should follow and give an entry to the Masters to a week-end golfer and spot him/her strokes too!!

Sorry, just blowin off steam
Steve

jjinfla

Banned
Mike, Now that the Florida Men's Pro Open is back in business how would people playing in it qualify for UTS? There might be 10 to 20 pro players in it on any given date. Whereas in the Joss you might only have a half dozen. Well, it will be interesting to see what the opening lineup for the UPS will be. But without the top name players you will be fighting an uphill battle. The UPA dumped Earl and you see what it got them. Well, I guess I will just have to wait for the official press release and list of tour dates. Jake

MikeJanis

Banned
Response to Stve and ken:

Hey guys what's up with that stuff? Sorry it doesn't conform to standards but that's what I'm trying to do. Get out of the box.

The free entry idea is to help generate future interest in our sport. I have seen many Jr and womens events in past die in flames. I can't justify running tour events just for them with our current structure. That's why I am offering this unique program. To give them the opportunity to compete and hopefully introduce many new players to the game that we all love. Unfortunately, som sacrafices must be made.

On the other hand (FREE ENTRY TO ALL) has been a dream tour of mine for quite some time. My initial concept for this is to have 8 $25,000 events with no entry fees (four 8-ball & four 9-ball events). All of those 8 events would allow anyone to compete for no entry fee. I'm still working on the concept. Currently I offer 1 $25,000 event a year that has no entry fee. However it is currently only open to Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour members.

Please consider my position and give any support you can. Together, we can only do more.

Mj

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Regional tours

MJ ... I just want to know the regional tour in and around my location in Wichita, Kansas ....

Porter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may want to consider adding the word national to the UTS acronym. If you dont someone is going to add Billiards in front of it. or Super League.

Wish you the best of luck in you efforts.

stevelomako

Love you all!
Silver Member
Mike,

My response was to Ken...do not ......I repeat....do not take it towards you.

I'll just call you later today.

Steve

P.S. My daughter thinks its the best thing she's heard of....she loves playing and would take advantage of it. It would be like getting a bye for the other player right now.

K

Ken in CT

Steve,
If your response was meant to be disparaging toward me let me tell you that I already knew about the free entry for women and juniors. I was only kidding when I suggested "C" players also get free entry.

Your knee-jerk response was absurd and is typical of too much discourse on these message boards. Many appear to want to be hyper-critical of others to the point of making asinine and senseless posts. Why waste our time with your drivel?
Ken in CT