Unique situation

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two balls left on the table and need to manufacture a break ball. Make ball and carom into other ball but cue ball stays in rack for BIH behind head string. Last ball lines up perfectly for combo into corner pocket after balls are racked.
I asked Thorsten if this ever happened to him and he said maybe twice.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two balls left on the table and need to manufacture a break ball. Make ball and carom into other ball but cue ball stays in rack for BIH behind head string. Last ball lines up perfectly for combo into corner pocket after balls are racked.
? Please clarify (I assume you mean the break-ball was nearly frozen to the corner ball, but then that would likely interfere with racking).

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
? Please clarify (I assume you mean the break-ball was nearly frozen to the corner ball, but then that would likely interfere with racking).
No. 15th ball out of the rack and could be wherever you think the combo is on by hitting the stack wherever to make it. Probably going to line up with the corner ball tho.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No. 15th ball out of the rack and could be wherever you think the combo is on by hitting the stack wherever to make it. Probably going to line up with the corner ball tho.
I notice you reported that Thorsten only verified the positional occurrences, not that he didn’t eventually elect to play safe instead 😁.
I’d be surprised that anyone could accurately predict the EXTENDED path of even the corner ball in a non-template rack from as far away as the headstring (?). Maybe I’d risk it on a high-run attempt.

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I notice you reported that Thorsten only verified the positional occurrences, not that he didn’t eventually elect to play safe instead 😁.
I’d be surprised that anyone could accurately predict the EXTENDED path of even the corner ball in a non-template rack from as far away as the headstring (?). Maybe I’d risk it on a high-run attempt.
Sorry dude. Just asked him if it ever happened. And if it only happened twice to him and if it ever happens to me again and looks close I am shooting just because.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Generally for most racks, there is extra room allowed on the bottom of the rack to allow you to more easily lift and remove the rack after racking. As a result there would likely be an inch or more between the corner ball and the ball out of the rack, making a dead combo even less likely to occur.

Last edited: