US OPEN: This breaking format is killing me...

filluptieu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear Pat,

The stream matches have been unbearable to watch. What's the point of making a tournament winner break if pretty much no one has a chance to putting a package together....

Nine ball on the spot, mini break box AND you have to pot or get 3 balls past the head string.....

At times, its almost a disadvantage to be breaking.

You should really consider changing this to only nine on the spot, or mini break box.

I'm pretty sure packages get fans excited. There should be some added difficulty but again, the key word should be SOME.

Sincerely,
Fillup

tduncan

Bet something...
Silver Member
Dear Pat,

The stream matches have been unbearable to watch. What's the point of making a tournament winner break if pretty much no one has a chance to putting a package together....

Nine ball on the spot, mini break box AND you have to pot or get 3 balls past the head string.....

You should really consider changing this to only nine on the spot, or mini break box.

I'm pretty sure packages get fans excited. There should be some added difficulty but again, the key word should be SOME.

Sincerely,
Fillup

They do it because the Players whine about it. Forget what the people paying to watch think.
:mad:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear Pat,

Sincerely,
Fillup

The 3 ball past the headstring rule or whatever variation they have come up with for this tournament is just dumb and unnecessary. I'll be passing on buying this stream. Nothing like making two balls and being told to take your seat.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rules are in place so the best player/not the best breaker wins.

There's a reason Shane didn't win last year.

dawgcpa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Breaking format

I think it is dumb as well. Soft breaking, breaking from the rail, jumping, etc is all part of 9 ball. It's what we play. I want to see them play what we play and play it very well. I don't want to see trumped up rules to stop a few players. They are changing the game in my opinion and making it less appealing to watch.

Of course right now the stream is gone so they can break how ever the h@ll they want....

Last edited:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
The 3 ball past the headstring rule or whatever variation they have come up with for this tournament is just dumb and unnecessary. I'll be passing on buying this stream. Nothing like making two balls and being told to take your seat.

Mini break box and 9 on the spot... no way in hell are you making 2 balls without something going past the headstring...

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
breaking

The thing that truly bothers me in all these competitions is alternate break. Winner breaks should be the perpetual rule. People like to see players string racks together. I love to see someone put a 3,4,5,6 pack on someone else. Plus there needs to be a reward for winning the rack.

filluptieu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I strong disagree with this comment. It was said many times last year and even on the stream today that no one last year could match Kevin's break. He absolutely played lights out but broke better then everyone else in the event.

Even with that said, one player out of 128 still means it takes incredible skill to figure out the break.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I strong disagree with this comment. It was said many times last year and even on the stream today that no one last year could match Kevin's break. He absolutely played lights out but broke better then everyone else in the event.

Even with that said, one player out of 128 still means it takes incredible skill to figure out the break.

The break matters, but not in the way most people are used to it mattering.

With this format, the best player of the event will be the winner.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, I find it hilarious that people whine for years that 9 ball is broken. Here's a great solution, and people still want to whine. My advice to whoever wants to invest money in this sport.

Run.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sincerely,
Fillup

Packages getting fans excited is overhyped. Fans would be more excited if it was pay packages. If tournament organizers like packages they should be in packages business like Fedex :D

+1
This is the best post of this thread
Too many matches have been won by the better breaker over the better player
I love it when they make the break tougher and players cry like in World Cup of Pool last year :grin:

Marc

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No they don't. They break from anywhere behind the head string (most the times fro the side rail). BIG DIFFERENCE

Marc

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The best breakers are generally the best players. Except a few filipinos who break like shit but have other tools to beat the best breakers.
Look at Reyes beating Strickland in that 120 games without as good a break as Strickland.
Look at Van Van chopping big breakers for the cash,while he breaks like a girl.
Kiamco also,weak breaker,but beats big breakers.
Everyone has their advantages.
Pockets at less than 4",much longer races,1-ball on the spot,break shot must be 20 m.p.h minimum or lose of turn. That would be an exciting game to watch and we would all fall in love with the 9-Ball game again

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm with the classic 9 ball break crowd Yes, we do get excited when we see some nice packages. If a huge package, we will go wild and that package will get talked about for years to come.

As to the better breaker shouldn't have an advantage? I call total BS on this one. So a player would in essence be heavily penalized because they spent countless, hours, days, weeks, months and even years practicing and perfecting their break technique. Practicing and all types of tables, clothes, rails, cue balls, cues, ambient temperature and relative humidity. All of that work just gone! Gone because others chose NO TO put in the time and effort. If you believe this is OK then why not make up a way to " equalize " bank shots on the money balls? Since we are here and it seems like what yall really want, let's just handicap the entire US Open using FARGO! Why in the hell can't the players just be allowed go get up there and battle it out, just like they always did!

Marc

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
US Open..

Bmoremoney. Absolutely agree with you.
I wish more people thought with their brains and not with their ass.

It blows my mind that the Pro players haven't united yet to call the shots on equipment standard and game rules.

Strickland is absolutely correct in many of his theories

But forget the wooden rack though, thats insanity and needed to be changed.
Too easy to cheat with a wooden rack, and not fair for the player who prefers study nd practice his break shot as opposed to study how to rack tricks.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with magic racks or tapped balls, as long as the pockets are 4" wide.