Valley rail bolts/maintenance

Dandan111

This winter I plan to do some maintenance on my valley table, I’m guessing 1963 or so.
I’d like to raise the slate and clean it out, I’ll be cleaning and glueing cloth down around the pockets.
The rail bolts look real chewed up and I think it’s time to replace those if possible?
Are these a standard bolt I can find?
The table still plays pretty well, I know the cloth is pretty ugly and I’m tossing around the idea of
replacing that. The rubber rails seem good.
If I do decide to keep the cloth would it be ok to clean with woolite or will that make a mess bringing up dirt from the slate?

Attachments

• IMG_0095.jpeg
    IMG_0095.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 51

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This winter I plan to do some maintenance on my valley table, I’m guessing 1963 or so.
I’d like to raise the slate and clean it out, I’ll be cleaning and glueing cloth down around the pockets.
The rail bolts look real chewed up and I think it’s time to replace those if possible?
Are these a standard bolt I can find?
The table still plays pretty well, I know the cloth is pretty ugly and I’m tossing around the idea of
replacing that. The rubber rails seem good.
If I do decide to keep the cloth would it be ok to clean with woolite or will that make a mess bringing up dirt from the slate?
I'd replace cloth and rubber. If you have it apart do it.

Dandan111

I took the table apart. Found an old nest, bugs, chalk and trash. Pretty gross.
I used wood glue on the rail holes and glued a crack on a rail also. I found new screws at the hardware store. It cleaned up pretty well. The bed cloth was rubber backed so the slate looked real nice. We can play with it for now but I’ll be researching new rails, and I’ll order those covered. I won’t recover a table again..
the bed was fun but those rails are terrible.

Attachments

• IMG_3507.jpeg
    IMG_3507.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 52

Dandan111

The rails looked original. The table is a 6 1/2 ft. Do these numbers tell what I need ? The U-23 would be the rubber I was thinking, would N-60 be the model rail I need to tell them? Thanks for all the help guys.

Attachments

• IMG_3504.jpeg
    IMG_3504.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 34