Videotaping your practice

rogelioii

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone videotaped their practice session and seriously analyzed it?

Last night, I turned on my camera and shot some straight in shots. I lined up 8 balls about 2 balls apart from one side pocket to another, I placed cue balls 3 diamonds away, and straight in stop shots.

My goal was to find things I was doing (or not doing) that were causing me to miss shots. I did not observe much on the video that were tell tale signs of my misses. However, I did observe a couple of things.

- the speed of my shots varied. I rattled some balls due to lack of pocket speed.

- slight inconsistency in getting down on the shot (feet weren't planted right, My head and cue go down on the shot together, whereas normally, my cue would be slightly first on the table before i line my head/eye on it.).

- somewhat rushing.

- big one: not hitting the center of the cueball :).... Throwing the obj ball off course..

For the ones that have videotaped their practice and analyzed it before.. What did you observe? What did u do to correct your mistakes? What drills did u record?

thanks!

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
I picked up a videocamera a few weeks back for this very purpose. I fear I haven't used it lately though. But it does help - you simply can't see yourself from the outside otherwise.

I need to break that thing out again...

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Videotaping your play is incredibly useful. I'm surprised more don't do it. No matter how experienced a player is, it's so easy to gradually fall into a bad alignment habit. And it's extremely difficult to diagnose oneself without a visual reference. Feel betrays you when alignment goes off gradually.

My only caveat might be is if a player doesn't really understand the mechanics of alignment. He might then make inappropriate "corrections" and screw himself up even more. For such a player, a lesson with a good pro (videotape the lesson!) would be invaluable.

PlynSets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been video'ing my practice, more so to post the vids on here for some tips n tricks.. I'll say the only thing that I find dissapointing for me is that with a "fixed" video location, it seems that I can't see myself close enough to see some subtleties in my mechanics that I'd like to see. If I zoom in closer though then I can't see the shot etc.. :(

I think overall it's very helpfull though. Atleast getting an outside perspective on your game, as well as general stance etc.. I never knew that I elevated my cue so much until I watched the tapes, as well I never knew how bad my stroke was, and how crooked my head was.

RD

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
Yah, I suspect the video would be much more useful if one had a friend to hold the camera, move around and get better angles/zooms etc. I've just set mine up on a little tripod near the table, but to get the WHOLE table plus the space around it to stand, I had to set the camera back a fair ways - which meant that the helpfulness of seeing myself on video was diminished, due to my being so small on the screen.

renard

Play in these conditions?
Silver Member
Video taping should be done from 3 positions

1) From the side 90 degree angle.
2) Looking straight down the cue from directly in front.
3) Directly behind you, a little above cue level.

Reasons are obvious. The first shows a lot of your mechanics. The second will tell you a lot about your alignment. The third gives you a view of the wrist/grip/stroking motion that cannot be picked up by camera view #1.

This is of course done when shooting drills.

The other method would be to play straight pool or a friendly wager game with an opponent so you can try and find what your rythmn is in your game.

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
rogelioii said:
Has anyone videotaped their practice session and seriously analyzed it?

Last night, I turned on my camera and shot some straight in shots. I lined up 8 balls about 2 balls apart from one side pocket to another, I placed cue balls 3 diamonds away, and straight in stop shots.

My goal was to find things I was doing (or not doing) that were causing me to miss shots. I did not observe much on the video that were tell tale signs of my misses. However, I did observe a couple of things.

- the speed of my shots varied. I rattled some balls due to lack of pocket speed.

- slight inconsistency in getting down on the shot (feet weren't planted right, My head and cue go down on the shot together, whereas normally, my cue would be slightly first on the table before i line my head/eye on it.).

- somewhat rushing.

- big one: not hitting the center of the cueball :).... Throwing the obj ball off course..

For the ones that have videotaped their practice and analyzed it before.. What did you observe? What did u do to correct your mistakes? What drills did u record?

thanks!

quick anser as i dont got much time:
yes, i observed my shoulder was making my stroke going *****, do stroke movements on a kitchen table for hours untill it felt naturaly, stroking in the botle, adressing strokes, final strokes, pauzes, angles of arm, etc etc. the basics.

added; what it did for me? moved me from C player to a B player in 1year and alot more to come. at least now i have the ideal basics to begin with. and i had been trying for years to get to a B level (snooker back then)