Viking eXact shot

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a buddy that just bought a eXact shot shaft. The carbon fiber structure that runs through the cue is probably a hundred thousandth of an inch higher than the wood on the shaft. He’s bringing the shaft to me tomorrow for a tip clean up and shaft conditioning. When doing a cleaning should I sand this with the grain and try to get it to be smooth or leave it be? He spent good money on it and he’s really try to learn and improve his game. So I want to help him any way I can.

Shooter 1= Stelzenmuller, Titleist conversion-Z2

Shooter 2= Bob Frey, Bacote sneaky

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
The problem you'll have is that you'll sand the wood away a LOT faster than the carbon if you're not very careful. I have only had a couple of those in my shop, so I can't be much more help than that.

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea that’s what I was thinking. I might try to tape off the wood on the front 12 inches and lightly sand just the carbon. Then I might steam and sand at 800 or 1000 and seal the heck out of it.

He just dropped it off. Honestly I expected a much better product for a $400+ shaft.
There are gaps behind the ferrule and the joint surface isn’t even close to flat.
Image1629042952.039423.jpg
Image1629043062.534303.jpg

Shooter 1= Stelzenmuller, Titleist conversion-Z2

Shooter 2= Bob Frey, Bacote sneaky

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every exact shot shaft I've seen has been like the one you have there. Mask off and mark where you need to sand. Sand lengthwise with 800 grit on a sanding block.