WANTED: Used Porper Model B.

Matthys

CMC Cues Kansas City, MO
Looking for a Used Porper lathe Model B. I've seen some of these come and go on here lately. I wasn't in a position to pick one up but I am now if the price is reasonable.

bushka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matthys said:
Looking for a Used Porper lathe Model B. I've seen some of these come and go on here lately. I wasn't in a position to pick one up but I am now if the price is reasonable.

Be careful, Porper has up-graded their B-lathes in the last year or so. There were changes in the electronics and some of the other components. Recently, a local gentleman had a problem with his B-lathe and to correct it he had to up-grade the entire system due to changes in materials that were no longer made for the Model of his B-lathe. The up-grade was not cheap. However, besides that they are great little lathes that will do the jobs that they are intended for.

William

Matthys

CMC Cues Kansas City, MO
yep, went through that myself recently with 2 model 'B's that had the older dial switches. I had to send the entire boards and wiring back to them to have a new board wired up. They're great now though. Will run solid for years. It's one of the reasons that I like the lathes. I have been using them for the last 3 years in a shop here in K.C. doing repair work. I would definitely want a Model B with the toggle switches not the dial switches for the directionals. I think the bill on the upgrade was about 175.00 or so. We originally bought a new board cause we were having problems with the rheostat switch. We ended up replaceing the rheostat and having the whole setup rewired. A lot of work for sure but this was after about 10 years or so of use. The new ones are setup from the get go.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could have just ordered the new boards and switches from MINARIK Electric. They are a national company.

Matthys

CMC Cues Kansas City, MO
I will keep that in mind if I have to do it again. My friend John here in K.C. Says Hey. I guess he sold a cue of yours to a guy named doc he said you would know. I saw a titlist conversion of yours he had. Very nice work. Great looking cue. Thanks for the info on the Porper Parts.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matthys said:
I will keep that in mind if I have to do it again. My friend John here in K.C. Says Hey. I guess he sold a cue of yours to a guy named doc he said you would know. I saw a titlist conversion of yours he had. Very nice work. Great looking cue. Thanks for the info on the Porper Parts.

Thank you, Tell John I said hello.