Wax for shafts?

instroke2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been reading allot here prefer "Butcher's Alley wax" but the problem is it is now discontinued.

Is there anything that works just as good?

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
MInwax, Paste Finishing Wax does a good job for me.

JoeyA

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trewax

Clear Paste wax with Natural Carnauba- this is the replacement in all our hardware stores in mn. mark

I really like Cue Doctor Cue Wax. I've tried Butcher's. I bought a big old can and I still have enough to last me for 5 years. It reeks of turpentine, and it doesn't finish up to as friction free, or "slippery", of a feel as I like. I've also tried SC Johnson Paste Wax and Lundmark Clear Paste wax . I have not found anything better for cue shafts than plain old Cue Doctor Cue Wax.

On my personal shafts, I lay on the Cue Doctor wax, and then buff it out on the lathe. I finish it off with a leather burnisher, then I apply another layer, and repeat. They come out smooth as could be, and slicker than ice.

kybill9

Banned
If you have a way to spin you shaft at high speeds, any floor, wood paste wax will do. If not liquid floor, wood wax will do in light coats. Three, one per day very lightly. Then a very fine abrasive to smooth out dimples. Lightly is the key for any abrasive. The back side of sandpaper can be used if you do not scratch the shaft with the rough side. Make sure your shaft is clean. Warm water and a sponge. Light liquid soap. Soft scrub. wipe with damp cloth. Dry with cloth. Set in semi light space on a towel to dry. Wax.

tomnan24

Registered
Burnish only after cleaning and periodic 1500 sandpaper to lightly eliminate wood fuzz. Slick as can be.

Charlie Edwards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't use wax on my shafts... quit that a long time ago. They feel great right after being waxed but they soon have that 'patina' feel.