What cue ball to get

J.T.450r

Chesapeake Custom Cues
Silver Member
Hey everyone, I play league on 9ft tables and I have a decent table at home but every once in awhile I go to this hole in the wall bar down the street from house to play a couple games.I usually can get some $5 $10 games there on a newer valley barbox but the cue ball is one of those over sized grapefruit balls I hate it. So my question is what cue ball can I buy that will play most like I am used to and still return on the cue ball return of a newer valley barbox. Will a magnetic ball replace a oversized ball on a valley barbox?

Last edited:

Ponytail

...it's about consistency
Silver Member
Valley Cougar green.

What he said.
cueball.jpg

Here's the site.

Can buy it here, but you may be able to find it cheaper some place else. First site a ran across that sold them.

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
Interesting note about the Valley Cougar green. I cut mine in half because I heard it was made from another ball. Lo and behold, there was a nine ball in the middle of mine. Pretty cool.

JCurry

can I use my mulligan?
Silver Member
Get an Aramith red circle. you can get them for around 10-12 from most resellers.

BTW, I have the other half of NewStroke's green logo cue ball that he cut in half. Yes, it really has a 9-ball inside of it. Makes a nice pocket marker.

Ponytail

Silver Member
Get an Aramith red circle. you can get them for around 10-12 from most resellers.

I was not aware Aramith red circles would come out of the cueball slot on a valley bar table. Or did you not see that part of the OP's request?

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
No the red circle will not work.
The Valley green is the best but does not always have to the cougar.
Or do you guys think there is a difference between the Cougar and the green Valley logoed with no Cougar?

Last edited:

JCurry

can I use my mulligan?
Silver Member
I was not aware Aramith red circles would come out of the cueball slot on a valley bar table. Or did you not see that part of the OP's request?

Ack! Sorry, I didn't read it thoroughly enough.

Ponytail

Silver Member
No the red circle will not work.
The Valley green is the best but does not always have to the cougar.
Or do you guys think there is a difference between the Cougar and the green Valley logoed with no Cougar?

As they are both made by Aramith, I don't believe there is a difference. I could be mistaken, but I've played with the regular green emblemed balls and they've worked just fine.

JustinHayes

I'll need an Orange Crush
Silver Member
As they are both made by Aramith, I don't believe there is a difference. I could be mistaken, but I've played with the regular green emblemed balls and they've worked just fine.

You are not mistaken. the green one is fine (with or without cougar)

JustinHayes

I'll need an Orange Crush
Silver Member
Interesting note about the Valley Cougar green. I cut mine in half because I heard it was made from another ball. Lo and behold, there was a nine ball in the middle of mine. Pretty cool.

Sooo,.... are you telling us that everytime you scratched, you were actually making da' 9 ???? Hahaha

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
You are not mistaken. the green one is fine (with or without cougar)

That's correct -- any Aramith "green-'S'-logoed" ball will work. It is a magnetic ball. I carry one with me in my league cue case, and I've not found a Valley table that didn't return my cue ball in the dedicated cue ball return. The only exceptions are the Dynamo tables (which rely on cue ball weight, not magnetism) and the tables that use a grapefruit ball (which are rare in my area). For the Dynamo tables, I have an Aramith Red Dot Dynamo, which is the heavyweight champion of all cue balls -- topping the scales at 6.875 ounces (more than a full ounce heavier than the object balls). It always returns on these Dynamo tables.

With the grapefruit ball tables, I just use the grapefruit ball that comes with the table. No use in trying to substitute it; your opponent is also playing with the same ball, so I personally like to test my adaptation skills to the table.

Hope that's helpful!
-Sean