What Cue Specs do you prefer?

Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to sidetrack, how about wood choices? is there a difference in wood used for the cue butt?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The butt can have the weight you want, and forget all the do dads, etc, the shaft is also very important.
I’ll avoid elaborating on the importance of weight proportionality because I’ve done it before & recently.

And really good cue makers use it and a review of specs on cues they’ve produced attest to this fact.
When the shaft is made & matched, butt weight is very important to ensure its weight is proportionate.

And butt weight can be unduly influenced by the size and weight of any bolts used to achieve its desired
weight. Sure 15.5 ozs is 15.5 ozs with or without a bolt. If a 15.5 cue butt with a 1.5 ozs. bolt is contrasted
with the same weight cue without any weight bolt, the mass would be identical but the balance & feel different.

There a little more to this than what you described and multiple factors come into play determining why a cue
feels different from other cues and why some cue makers are at the top of their game, creatively & construction.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
18.9-19.1 oz. 19 to 19 19 1/4 ich balance point from the rear ( for me this is forward balanced as I am 5'10" ) wrap less cues for the look and feel for me. Second to that would be embossed wrap. 11.7 - 12.2 with a longer taper carbon shaft right now. 12mm is my happy point right now, medium to medium hard cue tip. Stiff hitting cue with close to no whip and good vocals. To each is their own but there are my specs.

jlrowe

Billiards,Boxing & Babes
Silver Member
There a little more to this than what you described and multiple factors come into play determining why a cue
feels different from other cues and why some cue makers are at the top of their game, creatively & construction.
Well stated....Yes balance pt. is really important to my game. If i have a forward weighted cue i tend to choke up on the cue. If the balance pt is farther back i will tend to hold farther back near the butt. This is why i like a 57" cue as long as it is forward balanced. I think that players that say they need a 60" cue should just try a cue that has a greater forward balance pt.

bellmagic

Registered
Just wondering what cue specs do you prefer? Are you still trying or purchasing cues to find your perfect specs? How long did it take you to come to the conclusion this is what fits my playing style and preferences?
Well It has taken me 30 years to come to a conclusion. I have owned about 50 different cues in my 30 years on the table and have tried numerous other cues that i did not own. So here goes:
I do not like smaller diameter shafts....12.5 mm and up to 13.25. Less error getting off center cueball hit and have better control for position.
I like a longer pro taper than normal.
I do not like 19" or more balance pt. I like to have 17.5" to 18.5"
I like my handle area thinner and i cant lie i don't like big butts. I like smaller diameter butts and like a thinner handle area.
I like cortland linen or irish linen. I love to have my linen sanded super smooth and slicker than a minner lol. Thats why i prefer Cortland because you can get it super smooth.
I never liked longer shafts or cues. I played with standard 58" cues for almost 30 years. I tried couple 57" did not like it for all those years but started shootin with a 57" cue for about a year now. I realized that i now have better cueball control. I dont overrun my position as much.
Pin or joint doesnt make a difference to me. If you blindfold me and hand me cues to hit with im not going to tell you which cue has what pin and joint material.
Oh yeah weight 18 to 18.6 prefered no more than 19.6oz
I've been playing for a long time, and played with almost every type of cue made, even snooker cues. I find that for me, a 19oz radial pin Dale Perry with a Fusion5 OB shaft is about perfect. I also prefer a Kamui clear black hard tip with a nickel profile. I can get all the english I need, but the hard tip really holds it's shape well and never mushrooms. The low deflection shaft, the nickel profile, and a radial pin cue makes it play "like" a really good 1 piece cue, solid, with virtually no off center hits, and virtually no "accidental" english because of a hit that's not perfect.

chenjy9

• Tip Size: 12.5mm or less
  • Taper: Pro with at least 12"
  • Weight: ~19oz (rather be less than more)
  • Joint: Something that feels wood-to-wood
  • Tip: Soft to medium
  • Balance: Neutral to slightly forward

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wondering what cue specs do you prefer? Are you still trying or purchasing cues to find your perfect specs? How long did it take you to come to the conclusion this is what fits my playing style and preferences?
Well It has taken me 30 years to come to a conclusion. I have owned about 50 different cues in my 30 years on the table and have tried numerous other cues that i did not own. So here goes:
I do not like smaller diameter shafts....12.5 mm and up to 13.25. Less error getting off center cueball hit and have better control for position.
I like a longer pro taper than normal.
I do not like 19" or more balance pt. I like to have 17.5" to 18.5"
I like my handle area thinner and i cant lie i don't like big butts. I like smaller diameter butts and like a thinner handle area.
I like cortland linen or irish linen. I love to have my linen sanded super smooth and slicker than a minner lol. Thats why i prefer Cortland because you can get it super smooth.
I never liked longer shafts or cues. I played with standard 58" cues for almost 30 years. I tried couple 57" did not like it for all those years but started shootin with a 57" cue for about a year now. I realized that i now have better cueball control. I dont overrun my position as much.
Pin or joint doesnt make a difference to me. If you blindfold me and hand me cues to hit with im not going to tell you which cue has what pin and joint material.
Oh yeah weight 18 to 18.6 prefered no more than 19.6oz
I've been playing about 4 years and tried lots of cues until I figured out what I like. I prefer slimmer butts, no wrap cues. Linen feels slippery to me. McDermott cues and some other brands feel too thick in my hands. 12.5-12.75 tip diameter. I haven't come up with a particular tip yet but prefer something medium/soft. Right around 19 ounces feels good (I've played around with weight bolts in my Pechauer a bit) , a little forward weighted. I'm still a work in progress and hope nothing else changes. I'm not advanced enough to have an opinion on shaft taper.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've always been really picky when it comes to my personal cues.
  • Standard length
  • Old-school maple shaft with normal taper (not sure if that's a pro-taper, but regular old taper)
  • Joint should definitely be there; could be stainless, ivory, wood, phenolic, etc., but definitely like a joint so it breaks down
  • Weight anywhere between 19 oz and 21 oz (but no dang grams 😁 )
  • Solid leather tip, preferably soaked and pressed prior to the 1990s
  • Balance: Cue should definitely have some balance. Don't want it falling over.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I thought I found my perfect cue, the Jacoby HB5, but it showed up today and the REVO radial shaft doesn't even come close to fitting this cue unfortunately. I can't get the shaft and butt screwed all the way together and it seems the Jacoby joint diameter is .847 and the REVO is .840. Bummer....... thought I really found my next playing cue.

jlrowe

Billiards,Boxing & Babes
Silver Member
Well I thought I found my perfect cue, the Jacoby HB5, but it showed up today and the REVO radial shaft doesn't even come close to fitting this cue unfortunately. I can't get the shaft and butt screwed all the way together and it seems the Jacoby joint diameter is .847 and the REVO is .840. Bummer....... thought I really found my next playing cue.
Yeah that sucks.... didn't know that the joint diameter was that large on a Jacoby. Crazy.