What do you do when in a slump?

LIAKOS27

NOT banned (yet)
Silver Member
I've been playing pool for 45 years, currently a 7 handicap in APA & 8 and 9 ball. Every now and then, you hit a rough stretch where you just ain't feelin' it, but I don't think I've ever been in a stretch like now, (about three weeks). Every time my opponent misses, I'm stuck to the gum, have a 2 rail kick shot, or, if I have a decent shot on my first ball, the rest of the balls are married up and I can't string anything together. And for the most part, my opponents aren't safe-ing me on purpose, it's predominately "the rolls".

When things aren't going my way, I try to tighten my game up some and focus more, make sure my routine is there, practice/re-confirm fundamentals, watch for bad habits creeping in and dig a little deeper. Actually last night I finally rained balls in league 9-ball but I know it was a large part because my break was working and the balls opened up well on virtually all of my breaks. I don't think my shot execution was much better than at any other time in the distant past.

At any rate, this long winded diatribe is my way of asking, what do you guys do when the rolls go against you for what seems like a long period of time?

Thanks

Relax, what you're saying is not really a slump, it's you losing the match making you think your in a slump!

A few yrs ago when I played APA, I played an 8 (I was also an 8). I lost the match but I never missed a ball, if they did a TPA, I'm sure I scored 1000! How you ask,,, simple, I broke and ran 4 racks in the match, the other breaks I didn't make a ball and my opponent ran out!

My opponent missed 1 ball but he capitalized on my break! It is what it is! Let it go!

As far as slumps,, my favorite part of my game is getting into slumps,,, I seem to come back a tad stronger! I've been waiting for one for a couple yrs now, doest seem to want to find me:(

Eli

P.S. Don't kill yourself over this sport, treat it the way you want it to treat you! Be honest and understand that in order to play well consistently, you have to practice consistently! If your that guy that comes in and practices for a half hr before his match 2 times a week then you will only play so well!

If you're the guy that practices 5-6 times a week for 1-2 hrs then I suggest you find a drill that you can barely do and work on it for 15-20 min every practice session till you get it and hopefully it's one you enjoy completing! When you're not playing well start running that drill, that always works for me!

By the way, the drill that I use is Joe Tuckers 10- ball drill where the balls are placed strategically on the rails and you run out using 1-2 rail position! After 5-6 attempts or sometimes more, once I start running it out I get back to my game! It's worked for me many times!

Also, don't let one match bring you down! We all have them:) good luck

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
YES,YES. As soon as I let my brain start thinking," I just might win this thing." It starts to fall apart. When the brain is utilized during a match it should be exclusively focused on how do I win this game.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't stop, everything has its ups and downs. Focus on something new and spend a little time on the basics. When you come out of the tunnel you will be a better player. Until the next bump.

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you've inventoried your fundamental's, and they are askew, then take some time off. But if you have remained fundamentally sound yet are getting hammered by bad rolls, opponents missing so bad that it leaves you with sh$t, whatever, you need to remind yourself, and accept one of the most prolific statements in the world of gambling - "When fate has it in for you, there is no limit to what you may have to endure".

Accept it and be mentally stable enough to outlast it. If you're gambling, hopefully your bankroll will outlive it. Trust me, this will go away and come back hard in your favor.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I hit a sour patch in my 8 or nine ball games, I like to play a Sunday of one pocket or straight pool...don't know why this works for me, other than they are completely different games and it gets my head out of the normal routine.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I've been playing pool for 45 years, currently a 7 handicap in APA & 8 and 9 ball. Every now and then, you hit a rough stretch where you just ain't feelin' it, but I don't think I've ever been in a stretch like now, (about three weeks). Every time my opponent misses, I'm stuck to the gum, have a 2 rail kick shot, or, if I have a decent shot on my first ball, the rest of the balls are married up and I can't string anything together. And for the most part, my opponents aren't safe-ing me on purpose, it's predominately "the rolls".

Thanks
1. 3 weeks isnt shit for a slump. My competitive slumps have lasted months.

2. I play through it. I just keep playing.

3. What you described sint really a slump due to your own mistakes. You opponents are just getting rolls. Keep that in your head. Know that you didnt cause the problem even though you have to deal with it. My slumps end up being to my own mistakes. Misses on shots I should make, loose safes, etc.

4. See my disclaimer.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simplify. Make sure your alignment is good, take shorter strokes and follow easier patterns until you can gain confidence.

Good advice from my perspective. In a game slump, go back to a simple stroke until you regain your confidence. In a longer slump, start each session with simple shots and work your way into playing your normal game.

Another strategy that I have been using is to learn at least the basics of one or more aiming systems that can give you an alternative to your normal routine. I am a feel player and don’t care enough for aiming systems to want to adopt one as my main approach to play. But I have found 2 systems that I can make work. When my confidence is a bit shaken, just making a few difficult shots using one of those systems can help get me back in the habit of making balls.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I hit a slump or a plateau I just hit a million balls and eventually it comes around. Just keep playing and plugging away. That's what works for me.

donuteric

always a newbie
Silver Member
The one way that works wonder for me over the years is to just close my eyes while shooting. When I feel a slump is on its way, I'd follow my regular PSR during practice except in the final swing, I close my eyes, pause, and shoot. Out of sight, out of mind. When I reach a certain run-out percentage, I know I'm ready to compete at my own full speed again.

PoppaSaun

Banned
When I go through periods of playing badly, I generally feel like I am on the verge of learning something and making a breakthrough, so I play a lot more and pay attention.

If it goes too long, I'll take a bit of a break and either play different games or play a lot less.

The one thing I don't do is call it a slump. Calling it a 'slump', or anything else is detrimental.

It's like having mangy, flea-ridden mutt follow you home. You can do whatever you want with that mutt, you can feed it and pet it, if you'd like, but once you name that dog, you own it and you have to wait for it to leave on it's own accord.

Shooter1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies all, some good insight here. I did recently adopt an alternative aiming method for long shots that has helped in that respect so that has improved. Have also worked hard to control the break better, that's helped too. It'll all balance out.

There was a time when I would have took one for the team and did the "Slumpbuster" but those days are over, thank God!! LOL!

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you haven't already, download the 101 Tips in my sig. George Fels had a lot to say that could help to break out of a slump. Shorten your bridge to increase your accuracy, shorter stroke, focus on the cue ball after contact, etc. I first sent the tips to people who asked for it via email and then a friend suggested I make it available to members as a download.
Good luck!

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait it out

I just wait it out as I know the slump could go away the next day and that eventually all of my mediocre pool skills will slowly deteriorate because of age and other interests.

Going back to methodical fundamental self examination is a good idea.