What do you look for in a j/b?

3 things. The jumper part.

1. It can make the cue ball not hit my opponents ball.
2. It can hit my ball.
3. It doesn't make the cue ball fly off the table. I'm famous for that one BTW.

The breaker part. As long as I can hit the head ball.

Other than that, not much.
 
3 things. The jumper part.

1. It can make the cue ball not hit my opponents ball.
2. It can hit my ball.
3. It doesn't make the cue ball fly off the table. I'm famous for that one BTW.

The breaker part. As long as I can hit the head ball.

Other than that, not much.

If you are jumping the ball off the table, perhaps you should try loosening your grip on the jump cue. I find that folks with a death grip on it end up flying off 100x more often than those who grip it loosely.
 
When it comes to breaking or jumping, the name of the game is energy transfer. The better your cue transfers energy into the cueball, the easier it is to get the cue ball off the cloth, or to the rack. The softer you can swing and still generate good power, the better. Most people will break best at 22-24mph. The less you have to focus on swinging hard, the more you can focus on control. This is HUGE for the break, and for jumping.

I personally prefer to have two different cues. I like a forward weight in my cues. That's tough to do, and keep the jumper light. I like to break with leather, and jump with G10/phenolic, so again, two different cues is better for me.

At the end of the day, two things matter. Do you like what you're using? Does what you're using work? If yes to both, then you found your cue.

All the best,
 
Last edited:
Back
Top