What Do You Look For in a Pool Instructor

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
The FM path may be the right one in most situations but for technical stuff weird problems sometimes require a deeper understanding. That's true at pool when diagnosing problems.

I stumbled on an electricity leak once. The building had underground cable on the far side of the meter and somebody had broken every rule of safety and common sense by splicing this cable underground then put their faith in tape, lots and lots of tape! The building had a main power panel so I could shut down all electrical use inside the building and the meter still clicked merrily along!

With the high moisture content of the ground in South Louisiana I could feel a distinct tingling in the area. After hours so I couldn't get an OK but the electric company was pretty flexible so I cut their seal to be able to finish the project. A little digging revealed the poorly done splice and the electricity leak.

Another funny, the offices of an electrical contractor were having network server problems. When I went in the server room the owner showed off the biggest battery back-up one of the big companies made. Talking file cabinet size, and slid in nicely tight against the server! He had a little twelve or thirteen inch black and white monitor about three feet away with a severe case of the fuzzies, I had to move it six feet from that UPS to get the text to smooth out. I found it odd
that an electrical contractor didn't immediately recognize an EMF issue.

More common was a Dr's office losing a million dollars worth of billing. His office manager was faithfully doing back-ups every week. Unfortunately, she was backing up the workstation that the back-up software was on, not the server! Ran into that a handful of times, just wasn't a million dollars worth of billing involved usually.

Hu

L.S. Dennis

Thanks Lou. Dalton used to tell me about his admiration for Tugboat and how he was his inspiration to play also, and his first teacher. I think a lot of the things he showed me during our time together were probably from Tugboat.

As for your question to players --- What do you want from a teacher --- I can answer that, even though I'm a teacher, because I'm a player --- not some pansy player --- I mean a real player, who ground it out every day on a pool table and survived in the sub culture of pool rooms of NYC for a few decades, for better or for worse, experiencing both great and horrible advice from people with good intentions.

What I want from a teacher is someone who could step into my shoes and read my mind, just by watching me play. I don't care what they think is right or wrong for the universe or even for themselves. I want them to become me, understand my stumbling blocks, and help me fix my issues both physically and mentally. The two must go together. When I train instructors, I test them on their ability to read a player. This is key.

For example: You can't tell a rhythm player to take a longer pause at the end of his backstroke unless you want to kill both his game and his spirit. I've seen teachers do this. There are better solutions for those types of players. Sadly, most teachers are terrible at reading players. Some are born with the talent but for those who are not, a lot of it can be learned if the teacher is willing.
I remember Tugboat (whose real name was Maurice although he hated that name) he gave me my first real lesson back in the early 60's when I was young and too stupid to pay attention to what he was trying to tell me.

Attachments

• IMG_0241.jpeg
    IMG_0241.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: bbb

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
The Power of a Beautiful Mind.
Or perhaps how to control the power of the mind.
So Yeah, that's the ticket. That's what I would look for, not in an instructor though, I want a Coach.
Ronnie has spoken to employing a mental coach.
My mental coach notes indicate that when I feel good about what I am doing in life ......I play my best. So when I am
Relaxed
confident
And creative
I can achieve well, far far above.. .average.

My Basic training Challenge has evolved. Well flexible is good in life. My addition of the squat to aim step has already paid interest.
20230611_045335.jpg

The Official uh new Official formation puts the alien pads on grid points. With one rail then 2 rail kicks to the wing balls. I had an uh Found an interesting Challenge in the head spot to foot spot back door kick. I have proclaimed 3 in a row as warrant a title. So following the prescription Right opens with the Kick to the corner. The picture is uh The Remains. The distance the cue ball continued through the 15 is in relation to the fact that the 15 just dripped into the pocket.
Oooops I thought this was going to my sandbox thread. Sorry if I interrupted. Shrug 🤷‍♂️

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember Tugboat (whose real name was Maurice although he hated that name) he gave me my first real lesson back in the early 60's when I was young and too stupid to pay attention to what he was trying to tell me.

When Tugboat would occasionally play at the room I frequented in Daily City he was already pretty ancient.

Slightly stooped, sports coat, white shirt, suspenders, and a well worn tubular leather case. This is a page on him from John Grissim's excellent and lengthily titled book, "Billiards -- Hustlers & Heroes, Legends & Lies and The Search for Higher Truth on the Green Felt."

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• IMG_7302 2.jpg
    IMG_7302 2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 44

L.S. Dennis

When Tugboat would occasionally play at the room I frequented in Daily City he was already pretty ancient.

Slightly stooped, sports coat, white shirt, suspenders, and a well worn tubular leather case. This is a page on him from John Grissim's excellent and lengthily titled book, "Billiards -- Hustlers & Heroes, Legends & Lies and The Search for Higher Truth on the Green Felt."

Lou Figueroa
Lou,

Yeah I've seen that picture before now I know where it came from.
Tug and his wife used to come down to visit Jimmy and Dorothy Wise at Sequoia Billiards in Redwood City every Sunday night back in the day, that's where he gave me that first lesson. If you could compile the knowledge of both Jimmy and Tug, you could easily fill an entire library full of books! The last time I saw Tugboat was at Cochrans in SF that was many years ago!

Dennis

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou,

Yeah I've seen that picture before now I know where it came from.
Tug and his wife used to come down to visit Jimmy and Dorothy Wise at Sequoia Billiards in Redwood City every Sunday night back in the day, that's where he gave me that first lesson. If you could compile the knowledge of both Jimmy and Tug, you could easily fill an entire library full of books! The last time I saw Tugboat was at Cochrans in SF that was many years ago!

Dennis

No kidding, undoubtably he knew tons.

When I saw him in Daly City at Town & Country he'd be playing 14.1 with either Dorthy Wise or a guy named Dennis. Watching them play (and Mosconi) is the reason I still love 14.1.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

L.S. Dennis

When I saw him in Daly City at Town & Country he'd be playing 14.1 with either Dorthy Wise or a guy named Dennis. Watching them play (and Mosconi) is the reason I still love 14.1.

Lou Figueroa
Lou,

Sorry to say that I'm not the same Dennis that you saw playing Tugboat down at Town and Country in DC. Back in the 90's I used to play at Town and Country but it was only 9 ball at that time. I too remember seeing Mosconi 2 or 3 times and forever loved the game of 14.1 partially because of him and some of the other old timers who I saw play the game during those times.

Dennis

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou,

Sorry to say that I'm not the same Dennis that you saw playing Tugboat down at Town and Country in DC. Back in the 90's I used to play at Town and Country but it was only 9 ball at that time. I too remember seeing Mosconi 2 or 3 times and forever loved the game of 14.1 partially because of him and some of the other old timers who I saw play the game during those times.

Dennis

The times I saw Tugboat at T&C would have been back in the 70's and I was just a young pup learning to play.

Lou Figueroa

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
Off topic: I got to meet Dorothy once and shake her hand and thank her. She was truly a pioneer for the women players, and we all admired her. I was the new WPBA president at the time and the BCA was looking for a woman to give the speech for her induction into the Hall of Fame, and they asked me to do it. It was a big deal with Dorothy being the first woman to be inducted. I was pretty nervous about it and I interviewed Dorothy before the speech. She was kind and gracious, and she made me feel at ease.