What ever happened to the border battle?

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was probably 15-20 years ago but there used to be a Canada vs USA tournament called the border battle. I used to love watching that. Anyone know what happened to it (still on, cancelled, etc). I think cliff Thorburn and alain martel were playing in the last one I watched if I am not mistaken.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was probably 15-20 years ago but there used to be a Canada vs USA tournament called the border battle. I used to love watching that. Anyone know what happened to it (still on, cancelled, etc). I think cliff Thorburn and alain martel were playing in the last one I watched if I am not mistaken.

I don't think there has been one in quite a few years. I was at one of them many years ago, and TSN (the Canadian sports broadcaster) kept showing matches whenever it need to fill 1/2 hour or an hour in its schedule. Friends would say to me "wow, I see you at pool matches on TV all the time" - even though it was just one day's worth of matches shown over and over.

Over in the Canadian Pool subforum, pt109 has been advocating getting it going again. I think with Alex, Morra and Klatt we've got three players who would give the U.S. a run for their money. There is a bit of a drop after them, but Canada has a number of great players who could fill the fourth and fifth spots.

Last edited:

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think there has been one in quite a few years. I was at one of them many years ago, and TSN (the Canadian sports broadcaster) kept showing matches whenever it need to file 1/2 hour or an hour in its schedule. Friends would say to me "wow, I see you at pool matches on TV all the time" - even though it was just one day's worth of matches shown over and over.

Over in the Canadian Pool subforum, pt109 has been advocating getting it going again. I think with Alex, Morra and Klatt we've got three players who would give the U.S. a run for their money. There is a bit of a drop after them, but Canada has a number of great players who could fill the fourth and fifth spots.
Thanks Gideon, I love watching the Mosconi cup and really any country vs country (or continent) pool matches. The atmosphere at the Mosconi cup was electric and really draws you in. I was at the edge of my seat even though Canada wasn't involved.