What is better English or speed?

Thanks everyone for the input.. But know one answered my question. I'll put it another way. If u had a choice to get to a certain position on the table and you can either applying "english" or "speed" which one would you choose?? Don't worry about the angle, number of rails etc..." English" or "speed"???

:thumbup:

Follow and draw is not considered English.

But I will say this and hopefully you can figure it out------

I shoot about the same speed on almost every shot.

I adjust by using low, follow, or center ball.

Of course there are shots when I need extreme draw and extreme follow and in these shots, I need more speed. And some shots you need to shoot softly.

So in reality...I control my cue ball with high, centerball or low but shoot the same speed on most of my shots.:smile:


I didn't want to comment too early 'cause I knew my email would get jammed up with all the replies...LOL!
 
Last edited:
I get what you're looking for, but it still depends on the exact shot. since you don't have a specific example, I'll just make one up. say we're looking at a long straight draw shot. you could hit with 1 tip of draw and pretty hard, or go with 2 tips of draw but much softer.

I believe the right shot is always to add more spin if you can greatly reduce the speed. speed magnifies your stroke errors, increases the amount of unwanted spin, makes it harder to judge cb speed and draw control, and makes the pocket more likely to reject your shot if it's a little off.

Posted from Azbilliards.com App for Android

I would agree with Mr. CreeDo.

I'll add this for consideration. While straight side spin 3:00 & 9:00 can not move the ball, 4:30, 7:30, 1:30, 10:30, etc. can. The science will say that it is the draw & follow component spin that is actaully doing that & while that is correct, it is the side spin component that allows you to hit the cue ball differently & where one wants to 'cheat' the tangent line by also cheating the pocket by utilizing the throw aspect of the side spin.

From my perspective & perception as the shooter & not that of a physics analyst it is easier, FOR ME, to incorrectly 'think' that it is the side spin component that is moving the ball. I hope that that makes a bit of sense & is not confusing.

Also, many times when one is using a form of english to move the CB there is a zone of 'saftey' that one is wishing to get into & many times it is 'IF I hit the rail I want this'. That being said, shooting a shot with english offers more of a margin of 'safety' than shooting with speed alone. At least IMHO.

I hope this helps or at least is some food for thougnt.

Regards &
 
Last edited:
lastdimetaker...I know you were taught this by Randyg, but just wanted to clarify for the rest. Angle...of the angle/speed/spin formula, relates to the angle/level of the cuestick, to the shot...not the cut angle. Angle, speed & spin are present in every pool shot, and are the ONLY aspects we have any control over. :D

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com
I am sick to my stomach i understand the elevation of the cue changes accuracy and the concept of squirt. But i have been using a.s.s like this i look at the angle of the shot and use my stop shot formula to find my tangent line reference then i adjust my speed and spin for the route i need for position. Im about to have a nervous breakdown. Also i always keep in mind the spin i put on cue ball is not what the cue ball has at contact with ob. Help .....
 
Back
Top