What is this built-in twist-out butt extension?

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven’t seen this kind of extension before, but it’s pretty cool. Pijus Labutis twists and pulls it out the butt of his playing cue against SVB, looks like it adds 10-12” or so. At timestamp 54:56 here (good match and commentary btw):

Custom cuemaker or production cue?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven’t seen this kind of extension before, but it’s pretty cool. Pijus Labutis twists and pulls it out the butt of his playing cue against SVB, looks like it adds 10-12” or so. At timestamp 54:56 here (good match and commentary btw):

Used to see those fairly often. its a combination butt cap/internal ext. I don't know who made them. Might ask this in the 'ask cuemaker' section.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Phillips extender

Attachments

• IMG_070521_093152.jpg
    IMG_070521_093152.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 108

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's the same extension. Bill phillips from Canada designed it and named it after his son who passed away. He introduced it in the 90's at the Canadian Pro events. I was doing thier repairs at the time. I heard Mr. Deroo took them over later. People can change the name after I'm gone but until then. Mr. Phillips gets the credit.

Flakeandrun

Used to see those fairly often. its a combination butt cap/internal ext. I don't know who made them. Might ask this in the 'ask cuemaker' section.
A friend of mine here, using a KDR (DeRoo) cue has one in his cue. He said when he needs it, it's great... barely ever needs to use it though.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still have a couple left. I haven't installed one since the 90's. I'll weigh one later.
Weighs 2 ounces.
Front section goes 5 3/8" into the handle, the back goes into the back of the cue 1 1/4".
The body is 14mm.
Gives you a 4 inch reach when opened.

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a Kevin DeRoo (sp?) extension. I have one. Jacoby Cues installed mine, after I contacted the DeRoo folks in Canada, and they suggested Jacoby. I'd suggest you contact them first.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once owned an Andy Gilbert jump/ break cue that also had this internal extension for when the cue was used just as a playing cue - 2 separate shafts

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
It's the same extension. Bill phillips from Canada designed it and named it after his son who passed away. He introduced it in the 90's at the Canadian Pro events. I was doing thier repairs at the time. I heard Mr. Deroo took them over later. People can change the name after I'm gone but until then. Mr. Phillips gets the credit.
Greg Hearns made the Widowmaker cues for Bert back in the day. I believe he was also from Canada -out east iirc.
Greg's cues were the first I saw with those extensions and that was back in the mid 90s. I own several Widowmaker cues but only one has the built-in extension.
I wonder if Hearns and Phillips knew each other since they were both Canadian and used these extensions.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greg Hearns made the Widowmaker cues for Bert back in the day. I believe he was also from Canada -out east iirc.
Greg's cues were the first I saw with those extensions and that was back in the mid 90s. I own several Widowmaker cues but only one has the built-in extension.
I wonder if Hearns and Phillips knew each other since they were both Canadian and used these extensions.
I can only hope they did. Both were great guys.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once owned an Andy Gilbert jump/ break cue that also had this internal extension for when the cue was used just as a playing cue - 2 separate shafts
Nice.
I brought some back from Canada.
Nat Green fell in love with them and put them in a lot of his Cues.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Nice.
I brought some back from Canada.
Nat Green fell in love with them and put them in a lot of his Cues.
I play in Nat's room often. He is building cues and recovering tables every day, which seems crazy to me (at his age).
He still plays at a fairly high level as well.
I'll have to ask him about the extensions. I've yet to see a Southeast cue that has one.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play in Nat's room often. He is building cues and recovering tables every day, which seems crazy to me (at his age).
He still plays at a fairly high level as well.
I'll have to ask him about the extensions. I've yet to see a Southeast cue that has one.
That's Awesome.
Please say Hello for me.
Maybe today That's true but back in the day. He did a lot of them.